Search

Bus from Aix-en-Provence TGV to Town Center

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus from Aix-en-Provence TGV to Town Center

Hello...

My research indicates that to get from the Aix TGV station to the town, I should take bus 40. I downloaded the schedule and it stops in Aix at "Bus Terminal".

Please let me know:
  • Am I correct that bus 40 is the one to take?
  • Which bus terminal is that and where is it -- close to the walkable center?
  • Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
ssander
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

I just noticed that in the direction toward Aix, it stops at something called CABRIES - Gare Aix TGV. What is that? A special location at the Aix TGV station?

ssander
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

...and yet another question...

Can I pay on the bus or must I buy a ticket in advance?

ssander
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:26 AM

I took the bus from Aix to the Aix TGV station in October. The bus terminal in Aix is very close to the center where the city info place is located. I walked from my hotel to the bus, placed my luggage in the storage area underneath, and paid the driver onboard. I think we made one quick stop between town and the TGV station, but don't remember a name. I'm pretty sure Aix is the end/beginning of the line. #40 sounds right.

Last edited by elberko; Feb 26th, 2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 11:40 AM

If you bought a ticket to Aix-en-Provence the town the bus should be included in the overall fare? If you bought a ticket to Aix-en-Provence TGV only then the bus probably would not be included. Ask your departure station about that.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 04:59 PM

From my 2008 (so do double-check for current info!) notes:

"The Aix TGV is about 10 miles out of town. There are Navettes (busses-3, 70€ each) so we take one to Gare Routière in Aix and then taxi to hotel (13€)"

Gare Routiere being the bus stop. I don't remember where we bought the tickets but it was all well marked.

Generally, we took the bus to Marseilles then trained from there for day trips as it was less expensive than the Aix train.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 05:46 AM

Hello,

Yes Bus 40 is the right one.
The bus stop is under the train station: when you leave the train (assuming you arrive from Paris/Lyon), take the stairs up or lift to the bridge over the tracks and then go down and turn right ? (*) until the end of station and take stairs/elevator to one level below. Then wait for the bus, put your luggage in the storage area underneath (you can keep in the bus only a small bag) and then pay the driver.
note (*): not 100 % sure of the path depending if your train comes from Marseille our Paris, anyway direction is:
niveau -1 : depuis le hall A, accès par la porte NORD, par escalier ou ascenseur (level -1, from Hall A , access by NORD gate, by stairs or elevator).

Bus should have a front display "40 Aix Gare routière" (or maybe L40 Aix...), meaning it is going to Aix bus station (city center). There might be other buses (not many) going to other places. And if you went to the wrong side of the train station to wait for the bus, the incoming bus will display "40 Aeroport Marseille" as it continues to the airport.

Bus stop in Aix TGV station is located near town of Cabries, 18 kms from Aix city. There should be one intermediate stop at "Plan d'Aillane", a parking lot near a business zone.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Derviche...

Thanks so much for that detailed explanation. We are coming Lyon for a day-trip. Already bought the tix to AixTGV, so we'll have to pay the extra few euros to get to town...not a problem.

ssander