Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon

Old May 29th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon

Hi
I posted a similar question someplace else, but the discussion veered away from France, so I'm bringing this here.

For next spring, I'm weighing two areas of France, Languedoc-Rousillon, and Burgundy.

We are very interested in Cathedrals, abbeys and monasteries, ancient and historic sites, charming villages, a few markets, and natural scenery. We aren't looking for beaches, but riverside places might be nice. This will be a car trip, probably training to a larger town or city and getting a car.

I would probably not like crowds, and hope to travel in early May or late April if we are going further south.

Never been to Languedoc-Rousillon and we've only seen Beaune in Burgundy. It was just a half day stop on a road trip from Reims to the Cote d'Azur. I liked it but it was flat and not geographically interesting. Does that hold true throughout Burgundy?

I will need to get our tickets soon, and if we decide on Languedoc-Rousillon, we may fly into Barcelona and out of Paris. For Burgundy it would be in and out of Paris.

We don't drink so wine isn't an issue, and I'm not physically strong. Maybe too much information, but I'm hoping for your feedback. Thanks
Old May 29th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not drinking.

We found the area from Chablis and Auxerre south (well a tad north of Chablis) was packed with monestries (Pontigny)( all the way down into Burgundy proper. Lots of old churches and baby chateau, moated vilages etc. See also Irancy, Sr Bris etc etc Follow the Yonne and the Chablis river down.

Along the canal/rivers it is flat (one of my more obvious
statements) but away it gets more interesting.

L-R is also nice to visit, you get to see the fortified market towns that acted as frontiers between the English and the French. But maybe not as nice as Burgundy.
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Same. And I am saying this because - hips - I drink.
You perfetlhips entitled to not errr drink ! But it nerveless - hips - a shame. So yips Languedoc is nice and has more outside wine than burgundy.

Fanchon quoique bonne chretienne enne fut baptisée avec du vin !
Un bourguignon fut son parrain ! Une bretonne sa marraine ! (*)
Et ah ce que ... suite on any good bitu or internet.

*. Why ? Your godfather is from burgundy why do you need a godmother ? Hips.
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Languedoc/Roussillon is huge. You really can't stay in one spot & see it all. We've stayed:
2 weeks in the Gorges du Tarn (our favorite region in the Languedoc)
2 weeks near Ceret/Perpignan
2 weeks near Caussade
2 weeks near Espalion
2 weeks near Carcassonne
1 week near Ganges

The major "draws" are
- beautiful river gorges
- rugged terrain/natural beauty
- caves with stalactites & mites
- charming villages
- Toulouse
- Montpellier
- Albi
- Carcassonne
- Cathars castle ruins

There doesn't seem to be too many "hits" from your "wish list", except for "geographically interesting/natural beauty" and the "charming villages".

We've also spent 2 weeks in Burgundy & 2 weeks in Beaujolais. The major "draws" there are:
- wine
- food
- castles
- monasteries
- Dijon
- Beaune
- Auxerre
IMO, Burgundy lacks "natural beauty" (vineyards are not "natural" - they are planted by man) and also the "charming villages" - compared to other regions we've visited in France (Provence, Dordogne, Languedoc, Brittany, Pays Basque, Cantal, Pyrenees, Alps, Auvergne, Ardeche).

If you want to stay in just one "spot" and visit a region from there - head to Burgundy. If you have a preference for natural beauty, geography, charming villages, and only have 4-6 days available - head for the Gorges du Tarn area.

Stu Dudley
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:00 PM

"There doesn't seem to be too many "hits" from your "wish list", except for "geographically interesting/natural beauty" and the "charming villages"."
Stu, I beg to differ ! There is a lot more to see in Languedoc Roussillon :
Roman and Gallo-Roman ruins : Nîmes, Pont du Gard, Horreum of Narbonne, oppidum of Enserune
Cathedrals : Beziers, Maguelone
Abbeys and Monasteries: Valmagne, Cassan, St Michel de Grandmont, St Guilhem le Desert, St Michel de Cuxa, St Martin du Canigou, Foncaude, Fontfroide, Lagrasse, St Hilaire, Gellone......
www.visit-languedoc.fr/patrimoine-d-exception
Old May 29th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

I made a reply post but don't see it. I mentioned that we will have about 10 nights not counting travel days, and would probably want 3 bases, one of those being a couple of nights in Paris.
Old May 29th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Thanks Pvoyageuse - I forgot the stuff around the Nimes/Pont du Gard area (I usually associate that with Provence - but it's actually in the Gard/Languedoc) - and also the places around where you live in Roussillon.

Tuscanlifeedit - if you would like my 35 page Languedoc itinerary, or my 5 page Burgundy itinerary (page count should provide some indication as to how many things I think there are to see in these two regions) e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach them to the reply e-mail. Do so soon - we depart for 1 month in France in less than 1 week from today.

Stu Dudley
Old May 29th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Pvoyageuse , I've been looking up all the places you mentioned, and enjoying the website. Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2017, 08:18 PM

Pvoyageuse (Anne Marie) is a wealth of knowledge. When we were planning our tip to her area of France in 2004, she helped me tremendously. We've visited her twice in her homes in Canet Plage and also Perpignan. She prepared some wonderful lunches for us - especially her anchovies. She was a foreign exchange student in the USA, and her English language is better than mine!!! Follow her advise!!

Stu Dudley
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:14 AM

My vote goes to the Languedoc-Roussillon.
Old May 30th, 2017, 05:43 AM

And my vote for Languedoc-Roussillon, also!
We've spent two weeks in Uzès and liked it as a base as well as loving the little town itself.

Another time, 2014, we rented a villa with whole family (3 generations) in a tiny village near Sommières and did great day trips from there.

Happy travels, Deb!
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Sue! I was hoping to catch your attention. I remember you suggesting Languedoc-Roussillon when we made our last trip to France, but we were headed to the Cote d'Azur.

I've just received a guidebook in the mail and will start reading.

I'm thinking two bases. We will have a car and are taking suggestions!

Hope you are well.
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:37 AM

I can't do a 'compare and contrast', but I once stayed in Cordes-sur-Ciel for a long weekend and did a mad dash across the Cathar region (left at 7am and got back at 1am next day and some of the area that Stu visited. I was mesmerized and have long wanted to return.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

OReilly, the Cathar region is on our list. Thank you for your endorsement.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:57 AM

Here is my wife's Shutterfly book from our 2 weeks near Carcassonne/Cathars area and 2 weeks in the Gorges du Tarn.

https://stududley.shutterfly.com/51

Click "full screen"

Stu Dudley
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:01 AM

On the Shutterfly book, because of Shutterfly software problems, captions & headings are often missing or truncated.

Stu Dudley
Old May 31st, 2017, 11:38 AM

'and did a mad dash across the Cathar region'

Did you get a cold ?

catarrhe = rheum = cold in French.
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:09 PM

http://about-france.com/tourism/cathar-country.htm

Sticking out my tongue at you WoinParis . Same expression in Ireland - 'a congested chest'.
Old May 31st, 2017, 01:20 PM

>>I'm thinking two bases. We will have a car and are taking suggestions! <<

This is what I would do:

If you are departing home (US?) on a Friday or Saturday, I would fly to Barcelona and spend 2 nights in Barcelona. Visit some Gaudi stuff. Of course, 5 nights in Barcelona is fantastic too. Take a train To Perpignan & pick up a car there.

If you are departing home on Monday through Thursday, I would fly to Toulouse & spend 2 nights in Toulouse. Toulouse (along with Dijon) is our second favorite city in France. Pick up a car as you depart Toulouse.

IMO, there is more interesting stuff to do & see in Barcelona on a Sunday & Monday than there is in Toulouse.

Make your first base in/near Ceret, and visit the Pyrenees, Carcassonne/Cathars, Tet River area, Tech River, Colloiure, and all the stuff I described in the Roussillon section of the Languedoc itinerary I sent you.

Drive to the Gorges du Tarn and stay at Chateau de la Caze, the hotel in Ste Enemie, or the hotel in la Rozier (from my itinerary) and visit all the gorges, caves, cute little villages, Roquefort, Millau Bridge, chateaux, Pezenas, St Guilheim le Desert, and other sites in my itinerary.

Drive to Montpellier, return the car, and stay the night. Next morning, take the TGV to Paris & spend your remaining days there.

Stu Dudley
Old May 31st, 2017, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Those are great suggestions, StuDudley. Thank you.