Reload this Page >

Burgundy in October?

Search

Burgundy in October?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Roy Corbett

Burgundy in October?

Would the grape harvest be in progress the first week in Oct.and if so what impact would it have on touring the area? <BR> Thanks.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Lori

It's tough to say when exactly the harvest is going to begin as it depends on the weather and where the crop is in terms of maturity, etc. We were in Burgundy last September (the second week) and the harvest had begun, although we were told it was earlier than other years. The impact of the harvesting is that some of the smaller wineries are closed because everyone is out in the fields picking (and I mean everyone from the kids to the grandparents). However, it is certainly an interesting event to watch, and lent a certain ambiance to the whole area. My observation was when I saw the hundreds of people in the fields from sunrise to sunset, it just underscored how important the crop is to the economic survival of the area.