Reload this Page >

burgundy hotel info & general france help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:54 AM
ellen

we are planning our first ever trip to france. going to paris 10/1 and staying at the marriott using points. prior to that we thought we would spend 3 nites in loire valley, staying at domaine des hauts de loire. then, spending 4 nites in burgundy. have gotten suggestions to stay at lat cote saint-jacques, bernard loiseau or chateau de valut-de-lugny. any opinions, please would be appreciated. also, any dining and general<BR>info would be wonderful. Merci beaucoup

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:00 PM
mimi taylor

That chayeau looks lovely with Peacocks strutting around. Victoria magazine had a layout last year but we had already booked into an old favorite Moulin de Ruats. Both in Avallon

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:02 PM
mimi

sorry!, chateau

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Fred

The best thing about Burgundy are the wineries and vineyards. You'll want to do some tastings I assume. There are some nice towns to visit - Vezalay is a good town to walk around. Park your car at the bottom of the hill and walk up and around and down. You must get to Beaune - that's the best. See the Hospice - a highlight.<BR> In addition to hitting the individual wineries, there are a couple of good tasting places to sample various wines of the regions. <BR>In Beaune, the Tourist Office has "Safari" van tours of the vineyards that last about two and a half hours, three a day. <BR>In Beaune itself, go to the Marche aux Vins - fun wine tasting.<BR>Also be sure to visit the Hospice in Beaune.<BR>One of the best wine tasting places is Le Caveau de Chassagne-Montrachet<BR>Chassagne-Montrachet<BR>Take N6 to D113A<BR>tel: 80-21-38-13<BR>fax: 80-21-35-81<BR>They have tastings by the glass of all wines from the area, not just one winery.<BR><BR>In the Beaujolais area further south:<BR>Le Hameau en Beaujolais (Deboeuf's)<BR>LaGare<BR>71570 Romaneche-Thorins <BR>Gives tour of how wines are made, history, soil, tasting, etc.<BR>Off the A-6, near Lyon.<BR>For Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Wayne

Ellen--<BR>At least a day's worth of sightseeing will depend on your departure point, assuming you arrive in Paris. If you have to circle back to Paris, you probably won't get very far down the Rhone valley. I second the recommendation on Beaune, and you can even stay right in the old town at the hotel Le Cep, a delightful place. Farther south, a few miles northeast of Orange (which is a nice stop) you could stay at the Chateau de Rochegude, a nice chateau-hotel that has everything including acres of grounds to wander around. All the way along the Rhone valley, from Dijon to Beaune to Lyon and points south, you'll find great villages and great restaurants. Also there is a lovely little village called Tournus south of Dijon that is a special place you shouldn't miss. But if you have to go back to Paris to catch your plane, then you'll probably have to turn around before you get past Lyon. Going all the way down the Rhone to Marseilles, you could catch a plane from there back to Paris. No matter what you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time; but do try to stop in a few of the smaller villages. They will give you more of a picture of the true France than do many of the larger ones.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
ellen

Mimi, <BR>do you know what issue of Victoria magazine had the info on valut-d-lugny.<BR>thanks.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:49 AM
KLEE

Villa Louise in Aloxe-Corton was very nice.Reasonable price with good services. Rooms are not big but the location was great! Only 10-15 minutes drive from Beaune. It was situated in small village and Corton-Charlemagne winery was right behind the hotel.I have been to 2 restaurants, while I was staying there in 9/99. Both of them boasted Michelin 1 star. One was Vieille Moulin and the other was Millelisme in Gevery-Chambertain. Wonderful places.Hope this will help you in finding the hotels and restaurantsin Bourgogne.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:48 PM
mimi taylor

No, ellen i don't remember the month and passed my issue on to someone. Check out the magazine's website, maybe you can download it. The chateau is owned and run by a very young attractive woman.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Phyllis

Hi....This June my husband and I are travelling to Paris for the very first time. We are actually going on a Wine Tour with a wine maker and owner. It is going to be soo exciting for us. We will be a very small group and we are all meeting up in Paris on June 9th. We are planning on arriving a couple of days early to get over jetlag and see some of the sights by ourselves. Besides the obvious attractions, what would you recommend that we see? We will probably walk everywhere. Thanks...Also, what will the weather by like that time of the year??<BR>Phyllis

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:48 PM
mimi taylor

Phylis, <BR> Put this on a seperate thread with Paris in the title, that way you will get lots of wonderful help and suggestions.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:59 PM
ellen

Hi Phyllis,<BR>A private tour with a wine maker sounds wonderful. Could you give me a little more information? My husband is a major wine fanatic, and this sounds like something he would love to do.<BR>thanks