Burgundy for a week

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burgundy for a week

My wife and I are planning a week in Burgundy in early April. We'll rent a car at the airport [deGaulle] and tour Burgundy for a week, then head to Paris for a couple of days. We're not major wine buffs, but we like good food and enjoy smaller towns with old churches and interesting streets and buildings. We don't want to stay in a different place every night. We thought about starting in Auxerre for a couple of days, then Beaune, then Dijon, then heading off to Paris. Any suggestions for our time in Burgundy would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Beaune is a good place to stay and also the outskirts because of the many restaurants
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:22 PM

I can recommend a great hotel near Auxerre in the little town of St Florentin. The Grand Chaumiere has very reasonable rates and an excellent Michelin star restaurant.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I spent about 12 days in Burgundy a couple of years ago, and loved it. I started out in Dijon (trained there from Paris), then rented a car after staying there 2 nights. Next I spent a few days in Beaune, which I think would be a good base for anyone without too much time.It has lots of nice hotels, restaurants, and is easy to drive in and out of. Your idea of starting out in Auxerre is fine - that's where I ended up my trip. I thought Auxerre was very interesting, and I would have liked a little more time than my one full day there. From Auxerre, I would suggest driving down to Vezelay on your way to Dijon or Beaune. I also loved the area around Avallon (near Vezelay) and the Maconnais region. The Burgundy countryside is so beautiful to drive.
There are also some interesting chateaux and abbeys scattered around. You will love whereever you go!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:50 PM

We spent a couple of nights in Burgundy in May 2003 -- it was lovely, even though some the weather wasn't completely cooperative. If you want to see some pictures, here is my Virtual Tourist travel page on the region. http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/21363/2e/

When we go back some day, I think I would like to stay at this place:
www.lespaulands.com
We had dinner there one night and found the place to be quite delightful. Very personable, pretty and easily located to travel all over the region.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Here are links to the articles on Burgundy that I wrote for the bonjourparis.com web site. If you have questions or want more information, send me a message at [email protected].

http://www.bonjourparis.com/pages/ol...articleId=1215

Click on Underhill to find part 2 of the series.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Beaune is a wonderful place to visit. Be sure to visit all of the small towns and drink as much wine as possible!!

Wherever I travel, I always stay 1-2 nights at one hotel I call a "splurge hotel." My splurge was the Chateau Ziltener in Chambolle-Musigny. They have a web site. Google it.

Also ate at lovely family-run restaurant called, "Le Chambolle-Musigny." Mom is the waitress and Dad is the chef. Lovely little place with authentic Burgundian food.

Also visit Chateau Mersault in Mersault.

Lucky you!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM

After Dijon or Beaune, maybe head "west" towards the Macon? YUUUMMM... I think its west...either way, (I shrug), to the Macon area of the Cote d'or
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We like intimate, romantic out ofthe way places. My favorite is in Avallon, Hostellerie du Moulin des Ruats.
wwwhostellerie-moulin-ruats.fr
Also we have stayed in town at the Hotel de La poste.
For no frills we like Le Home, a B&B in Beaune
www.lehome.fr
Last year we spent one night at the Village Motel in Tournas. It's in a private parc with swimming pool and restaurant.
Last year we spent a night at The
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM

Get the Michelin Green Guide for Burgundy, which will suggest different itineraries through the region, depending on how many days you want to travel.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:05 AM

Hi 24europe

My wife and I and two friends spent 4 great days in Burgundy in May 2002. Stayed at Hostellerie de Levernois just outside of Beaune ... stunning place, fantastic restaurant.

On our last day there, we took a drive and visited some other small towns in the area. Our favorite was Autun, about 30 miles (45 - 50 km) west of Beaune. A gorgeous little jewel. It has been in existence for 2,000 years, and contains the largest Roman Theater in France. Though partially in ruins, it is still in use for warm weather concerts and other outdoor events. Very impressive.

The town also boasts the beautiful 12th century Cathedral St-Lazare.

Just on the outskirts of Autun are ruins of the Temple of Janus. The four of us had a wonderful picnic, on the grass next to the Temple, on great local wine, rolls, cheese and cold cuts. When I think of the 4 or 5 most memorable times I have spent in Europe, that magical afternoon is number 1 or 2 on my list.

Have a wonderful time in Burgundy!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:24 AM

I second the Hostellerie de Levernois...a lovely place
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:16 PM

Autun also has medieval precincts around the splendid cathedral, and in front of a large college are magnificent wrought-iron gates.