Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Burgundy / Chablis/ Lyon. October 2022– Advise please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will meet in Paris and spend 3 nights. On the Monday we will take the resin to Auxerre, pick up a rental car and stay 2 nights. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights in Beaune. Saturday night in Macon area at a chateaux hotel. Return car in Lyon. Then 3-4 nights ( Sunday - Wednesday in Lyon so we can be there when some of the best restaurants are open, train back to CDG for one night and fly back to the US. We cannot really reverse the order, but can change number if nights in each place or change places we stay. Cannot change the date of arrival in Paris because I’m hosting a group tour in Italy prior.

Thinking of signing up for wine tours in Auxerre and Beaune rather than trying to drive and organize vineyard visits by myself. I’ve done it in Bordeaux, Spain, Portugal etc. But Burgundy seems to be different. Thoughts on that? Will go to Dijon one if the days we overnight in Beaune. I know my husband will want to delve into the wine scene as much as possible and I hope to sign up for a cooking class in Lyon at the Plum. Having a car will let us visit the abbeys and historical sights— or at least that’s the plan. Many thanks for any insights on itinerary. Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wine tours, given your timings I think tours would make sense. But in Auxerre I might try and do Irancy, St Bris le Vineaus ( might check that last word) and Chablis which lets you try local Pinot Noir, Sauvignon and Chardonnay in a very small space. If you are not doing a tour you might try the Chablisienne Coop as a good example of a fine range of Chablis.

In Burgundy proper the subject is as broad as it is long. I tend to do it village by village starting somewhere like Nuit St George but with your time scale I'd pay a man and tell him what you want to see or else he will just drag you around the usual subjects.

When I visit these places I find there are two types of place, the ones that charge you a standard fee and the ones that offer you free wine. If you go to the latter type please buy something, if only a tea towel, as it keeps them open for the rest of us. If you go to the former, well you get what you pay for.