Burgundy and Bruges

Search

Burgundy and Bruges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burgundy and Bruges

I am planning a trip for next spring that would involve a week in Paris, a week in Burgundy (doing a Sherpa hike), and a week or slightly less in Bruges. Could anyone comment on the best way to travel between these destinations?
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:07 AM

I would begin with the order - south to north.

Fly into CDG.

Will the entire week in Burgundy be on the hike?

Take the TGV at CDG relax on the ride to Dijon. Get a car for the area when not on your hike.

Return the car before taking the train to Paris.

After Paris, ride the train to Bruges and fly home via Brussels.

You don't need a week to see the town of Bruges itself but a weeks stay there is just fine as it allows for easy day trips to Antwerp, Gent or Brussels. You could also consider renting a car one day to explore Yper, the battlefieled areas, as well as some of the smaller towns near Bruges.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That order sounds better than what I was considering. The hike is for seven days and starts and ends in Beaune. Roughly, it includes walking to Mersault, Nolay,and Rully. Is it just as easy to go direct to Beaune from the Paris airport as to Dijon? Maybe we can rest in Beaune for a day or two before starting the hike.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM

To go to either Beaune or Dijon from CDG airport it's probably easiest to take the Air France shuttle to Gare de Lyon and then the train to Beaune or Dijon. Many trains for Beaune require a transfer in Dijon. I think you'll find more to do in Dijon.

If you take the train from CDG you go to Gare de Nord (most trains) and then you need to transfer to Gare de Lyon (metro or taxi) for the train south. Much easier to get on the bus and not transfer with luggage.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:55 AM

I "think" you'll need to transfer in Dijon when coming from CDG to Beaune but will be able to take a direct high speed train from Beaune back to central Paris (Bercy station).

Hope someone chimes in here...
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Most trains from Beaune go into Gare de Lyon although there are a few that arrive at Bercy. The trains into Bercy take about 1 to 1.5 hours longer than the trains into Gare de Lyon.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Just MHO, but is taking a shuttle from the airport into central Paris just to avoid transferring trains in Dijon really worth it?

It seems neither simpler or quicker to me. Not discounting the idea altogether, but do the math regarding time, cost, and effort before deciding.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 08:14 AM

TGVs to Dijon are not that frequent I believe from CDG - I would settle into Paris first - jet-lag always makes any long distance travel not so enjoyable IME - then head over to Burgudny by train from Gare de Lyon - TGV to Dijon then change for regional train (reservations not required I believe - just hop on next one of about hourly trains) to Beaune.

Best way to Bruges is by train right back thru Paris - if you can get a TGV from Dijon to CDG airport take it and then transfer there to a TGV to Brussels and then change to local train for Bruges - this way you avoid the intricacies of Thalys trains and their Byzantine fare strcuture, etc. the via CDG from Dijon direct route also negates having the hassle of changing train stations in Paris from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord for trains to Brussels.

After Bruges return to Paris if need be via a local train to Lille-Flandres in France then TGV to Paris Gare du Nord - again avoiding having to deal at all with Thalys trains - the route via Lille is about the same time as via Brussels to Paris from Bruges - 2.5 hours.

Check out the France-Benelux railpass if say taking any other train trips like during the several days in Bruges - lots of nice day trips possible - Gent, Antwerp, Brussels, Lille, the Belgian coast, even towns in Holland.

Great info IMO on trains in those countries - http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id8.html; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 08:20 AM

bardo1 - you didn't read what I wrote. Once again - you have to transfer trains in Paris from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon where the trains south leave from. I think it's easier to get on a bus from the airport to Gare de Lyon and then the train to Dijon/Beaune. Otherwise it's the train to Gare du Nord, metro or taxi to Gare de Lyon and then train to Dijon/Beaune. Transferring in central Paris with luggage is a pain IMHO.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 08:47 AM

adrienne - I see it now.
Good idea regarding airport shuttle.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM

The RER transfer however at Gare du Nord could not be easier - from one platform to another - and I believe there may be direct RER trains from CDG airport to Gare de Lyon - but the train can be quicker than any road-based transfer due to always possible bouchons or bottlenecks on roads around and in Paris.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM

<i>and I believe there may be direct RER trains from CDG airport to Gare de Lyon</i>

I don't think so. The RER B is the only one from CDG in all the years I've taken the RER and it slices right through Paris on a north-south (Gare du Nord, Chatelet, Denfert-Rochereau) axis without deviating to the east to the gare de Lyon.