Burgandy or Bordeaux?

Jul 16th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Leslie

Burgandy or Bordeaux?

I'm having a hard time deciding on which region to visit. Unfortunately due to time constraints I can only visit one region. I plan to spend 2 or 3 nights. Any suggestions? Also, can you recommend a REALLY NICE place to say in either region?

Thanks

Jul 16th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Rex

Drink Bordeaux.
Visit Burgundy.

By that, I mean that les Bordeaux are possibly the Cadillacs of wines, but Burgundy is a lot more varied and has a richer "hospitality" face for visiting, based on my (somewhat limited) travels in both regions.

Beaune might make the most sense of places to stay in Burgundy.

I know a nice place - - Chateau de Longsard - - but it is technically in the Beaujolais region of Burgundy, which is to say the southernmost reaches - - almost as far south as Lyon.

When you say "REALLY NICE" - - do you mean top-drawer, price- and elegance-wise? Maybe Chateau de Gilly (if memory serves me right); I think you can find a fair amount of very favorable info about it here on this forum by simply searching Gilly.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 16th, 2001, 09:40 PM
John H

Hi, Leslie,

We faced the same decision over the past two years and have opted to stay in Burgundy rather than Bordeaux. I think there's more to see and do, and Bordeaux itself does not seem to be a particularly interesting city (imho).

As far as lodging, two properties come to mind: Hotel Le Cep in Beaune (www.slh.com/cep) and, as Rex commented, Chateua de Gilly (www.slh.com/gilly), which is located between Dijon and Beaune. Both are very popular 4-star properties and fill up in advance (they are popular with the small, high-end tour groups).

Happy travels,

John

Jul 17th, 2001, 12:23 AM
Mike

Drink Bordeaux? The best burgundies are probably the most expensive wines in the world - red and white - barring sweet wine, which isn't a speciality. I'm no expert, but the difference to me is between drinking something redolent of tobacco and your school pencil box (claret) or something with a touch of the farmyard (burgundy)! French wine is under assault from the New World, but, when it comes to Pinot Noir (burgundy), the consensus in what I read is that the fortress holds - burgundy is still easily the best, and New Zealand/USA must keep trying harder. I've never had a dry white from Bordeaux worth a light, so, if that's your pidgeon, it has to be Burgundy.

I once read a food critic's review of L'Esperance in Vezelay. He suggested that you ask the sommelier to pick out a lesser known burgundy for you. He concluded - "you will bless me for this advice".

Note that this property has had some well documented problems - money troubles and loss of a Michelin star - so it would justify a bit of research. Web site can be found via Relais et Chateaux.

Jul 17th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Leslie

Thank you all. I have booked the Chateau de Gilly and will enjoy BOTH burgandy and bordeaux while in France!

Only about two months to go....tick tick tick....

Jul 17th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Santa Chiara

Leslie,
I recently returned from a bike trip where we stayed one night at Chateaux de Gilly. You will love this place. It is beautiful, and the restaurant is fantastic. I loved the whole area, much more than I expected. Be sure to reserve a day for Beaune. It is a beautiful little town with dozens of shops devoted to wine. And the previous poster is so right about the wine. I learned for the first time in a long life of drinking wine how to really taste and appreciate it. My palate thanks me but my pocketbook is cursing me.

Have a great time.

Jul 18th, 2001, 12:34 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Leslie:

Again Rex is on the money. You can get additional opinions if you research this thread with your exact same question.
I do not mind a repeated question like this one. It makes my palate water!

Happy Travels
Oaktown