Bullfights in Lisbon

Search

Bullfights in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullfights in Lisbon

Is there a typical day of the week/time for Bullfights in Lisbon? I am trying to create my itinerary for a trip to Portugal (Sept 15-24), and have a few activities I am interested in that might help me decide which city I want to be in on a given date.

I have been trying to do some research, but I am probably too far in advance. Looking on the Campo Pequeno website, hoping to get some info on Bullfights, but it is only in Portuguese which I can't read. When I go to the calendar there is nothing for September yet (understandably so). Does anyone know what I can expect during that time frame?

Also, are there options in Algarve? Will probably do a few days there.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Bullfighting "season" in is from April to October. In Lisbon, from memory,there are bullfights on Thursdays and Sundays at the Campo Pequeno. On Saturdays there is a bullfight in Lagos

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Campo Pequeno is the first ring in the horse riding style of bull fighting. If you have the option, don't attend it in the Algarve. The same applies to fado. Algarve is good for sun and beaches. The previous post is correct, Thursday is the day.
There are 2 variations: "antiga portuguesa" horseback bullfight with the all cerimonial of 17th century, an attraction by itself and "mista", closer to the Spanish style. If you prefer the 1st variation you should attend it in Campo Pequeno, otoh if you prefer the 2nd variation, you should attend it in Spain.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:39 AM

If it is within your budget, buy the shady side seats. A Portuguese bullfight has a lot of pomp and brilliant displays of horsemanship, most of which takes place on the shaded side of the ring.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Thursdays bullfights in Campo Pequeno are a late show, begining at 10pm. At this time of the say, it's not relevant to attend it in the shaded side of the ring.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM

lobo - does most of the action still take place on what would have been the shady side. That is where the most expensive seats would be or do the prices even out at night?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Is this still true (have never been to Portugal)?

'The bull is not killed in the ring and the fight is accordingly referred to as a "bloodless bullfight". After these three sets, the bull is removed from the arena alive and is sometimes killed, away from the audience's sight, by a professional butcher. More often than not, many bulls are entered into other events, such as rodeos in California, or released to pasture until their end days. Nevertheless, tradition was so strong at the small town of Barrancos, where the bull was illegally put to death in the arena, that the government was forced to relent and permit the town to follow its ancient matador tradition and kill the bull in the arena. There are many forms of traditional, popular bullfighting in Portugal, differing from the "official" version, some of which involve groups of people doing a tug-of-war with young bulls, by holding large wooden structures into which the animals charge. In the Azores, bullfighting is often remniscent of the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, in which those most at risk are human beings, not the bulls themselves.'
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great responses!! Thanks so much for the info. I think the Sunday option might work for me. What time of day are the Sunday fights typically?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Having participated in "bullfights" in the Azores 4 or 5 times, I can say that it is not like the running of the bulls in Pamploma. The bullfights take place in different towns on the island of Terceira between early May and the end of September, most action during the summer when there might be several events in a week. It has been going on for about 4-500 years.

In the selected town, about 4 bulls are brought, each in its own crate. The event usually takes place in or near the town center, and happens on the streets.The people gather from around the island, sitting on stone fences, standing behind them, on balconies - anywhere there is a semi sheltered spot. There are often food vendors working the crowd. It is a festive occasion. A horn sounds and one bull is released at the end of a very long rope with 8-12 men on the other end to try to exercise some control of its movements. The bull's horns are either padded with leather or have a brass ball over the pointy part. Some people will come onto the street- often 30 or more, the bull will come after them and they will run. Sometimes they run at the bull and the bull runs. It goes back and forth. Some people will break out of the group to bait the bull to come after them, usually waiving a jacket or sometimes an open umbrella. The bull often will take the bait and the the person can play bullfighter for awhile. The action goes up and down the streets and sometimes on several streets. Often the bull will jump a fence and the people scatter. The last time I participated, we chased the bull down the street, the bull turned and chased us up the church steps and a fellow lured it away for a moment so we ran back down the steps. The bull charged at our group again and I found that even at my age (I was about 50 at the time) I could still jump over a 3 foot high fence without touching given the proper motivation.

When the bull tires, or after about 20 minutes or so, it is put back into his crate. There is a short intermission, and the next bull is released. Everyone has a good time -even the bull seems to enjoy it- I once saw the bull take a break and go into the ocean for a five minute dip and then come out and resume the chase.
I have never seen anyone get hurt, although I know it has happened - probably run over by the crowd rather than the bull.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Basing, Beautiful description. Thanks.