Notices

Bugs in Scotland

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:49 AM
J Grant

Bugs in Scotland

OK, not to be paranoid, but just wondering if Scotland has any annoying biting bugs like mosquitos? What should I pack in terms of bug spray, if any? I've heard something about little biting things--midges? Thanks!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Sheila

the midge is the most destructive bease known to man. Quite a lot has been written here about them already. A wee search would bring it all back.

It depends where you are going, and when and what the wind is like. We do have stuff that is more dangerous, but you really don't want to know. Bring antiseptic...a bite from a haggis can be very debilitating

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:02 AM
janis

The midge is the only thing that keeps Scotland from being absolutely perfect. They are tiny gnats that pack a really irritating bite. But they aren't that bad. They mostly come out in warm damp weather - mostly in July/August.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:46 PM
elvira

The best bug repellent - winter.

Went to Aberdeen in February and nary a bug to be found; haggis were dormant as well.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:08 PM
KT

Elvira, it wasn't the season that saved you, it was the location. Only the West Coast Haggis bites. The East Coast Haggis stays safely within its tube.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Mika

The best cure for haggis bites is a glass of Highland Malt whisky, shaken but not stirred.....

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:37 PM
John

In Februar’ nae midgies bite,
And haggi sing, by peat fire light,
Their prayers of thanks, that on Burns Night
Their entrails weren’t a’ gushin’ bright.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:07 AM
Mcgregor

'Twas a brau, bricht, moonlicht nicht
an' the Haggis were a rockin',
I kicked the Wife into a ditch
and shagged her somethin' shockin'

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 05:28 AM
midge

I here the midges have now taken to steroids

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:01 PM
J Grant

Thanks for all the helpful? tips. I'll search on midge. The haggis will have to watch out for me! I've been known to eat it!!