Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget Trip Italy -- Rome, Florence, Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

A friend and I decided very last minute to travel to Italy. . . . We are in our mid-30's. . . . and travelling on a very serious budget. . . .

We were seeking the help of the very wonderful experts on Fodor's on a few things. . . .

1. Rome -- Looking for very inexpensive B&B or Hostel that has reasonably clean rooms that are secure enough for our luggage (don't need our own bathroom, but would be nice. . . . ) that is $50 to $75 per night. . . . we would consider up to $100.

2. Venice -- Looking for same type of lodging. . . . quaint, charming. . . . location is top priority for us. We like being in the center of everything. . . . Willing to sacrifice in-room bathroom. . . . Want to pay $50-$75 per night. . . .

3. Florence -- Again, looking for very well-located similar type of lodging in Florence that is in a quaint area very close to cafes and walking distance to the downtown area by the Duomo. . . . again, ideally $50 to $75 per night. . . .

4. Tuscany -- While I have been to Rome, Venice and Florence. . . . I have not been to Tuscany. . . . I know that people have recommended that you can base out of Florence and do some day trips to Tuscany to the wineries. . . . But, I think a sleepy, well located B&B or hostel in a very charming little town that is reasonably easily accessible, where you can go to wineries and walk around to cute restaurants and shops would be amazing. . . . For only 2 days in Tuscany. . . . Does anyone recommend what region they would recommend that would provide that type of experience? How would you get there?

5. Italian Riviera -- Instead of Tuscany, we also were considering the Italian Riviera. . . . Portofino? How far is that from Florence? What do you do there? Can we find lodging that is inexpensive there, under $100 per night? Would you recommend a few nights in Tuscany or there? Or, is it too much to try to do one night in Florence, 2 nights in Tuscany and one day and night in Portofino?

I know this is a lot of questions! However, we have only one week to plan. . . . and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I have used this website to plan trips to Asia, and all of your recommendations were so very helpful!

Dee

Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed in an apartment in Pienza last month that was very cheap. I'm not sure if it would work for you because I'm not sure what you mean by traveling with a friend. Do you need twin beds? Separate rooms? Do you mind a curfew? There are lots of convents, but many have curfews although sometimes the curfew is as late as 12.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Look at these sites:
http://www.cross-pollinate.com/
http://www.hostelworld.com
http://www.hotelscombined.com
http://www.foresteriaorsa.altervista.org

The problem is that if you are leaving in a few days, the usual cheapest options in your rock-bottom price range are probably already booked. I'd be willing to accept hostels if your budget is that strict.

You could do Siena in Tuscany although it may not be as small as you want.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM

If you are on a really tight budget, the more moving around you do, the more your transportation costs will be. I would just stick to the "big three".

Also, train rides will be cheaper if you forego the express trains. For less money, you can take the regional trains which do not require reservations, make a lot of stops, and take longer. (You do not want to buy a rail pass.)

You might consider Orvieto (population around 20,000), just south of Tuscany on the way from Rome to Florence, and easily accessible by train, as your "rural" stop.

WillTravel has given you great leads for accommodations.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I also stayed in Orvieto last month at a very nice convent (curfew of 12 pm, but they asked for notice if you would be later than 11). My room (a single) had a private bath and I was quoted a price of 40€ per night plus 3€ for breakfast. I stayed two nights and had two breakfasts so I was expecting a bill of 86€ at check out. My actual bill was 69.10€. The nuns didn't speak English (not one word) and I tried to point out the bill was wrong, but they insisted "completo". Well ya just can't argue with nuns. Their low season rate is 30€ for a single and the breakfast was huge - a bargain.

My apartment in Pienza was La Serra at Il Giardino Segreto and I paid 45€ a night.
http://www.nautilus-mp.com/tuscany/a...camereing.html

The website for the convent in Orvieto is:
http://www.monasterosanlodovico.it/English/english.htm

If you click on "where we are" then scroll down below the map you will see the convent on the side of the cliff. On the accomodation page the pictures will scroll to show you some of the rooms.

I didn't book any of my rooms more than a few weeks before departure and I was supposedly traveling in high season for most parts of Italy (mid-Sept).
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You have all been so helpful!!!!

We are travelling together, and only need one room and one bed. . . . Not sure what I think about limiting to a "curfew," however. . . . Is that the only way to get a cheap rate?

We will be travelling from 11/1 to 11/9. . . . so, it gives us a few weeks to plan. . . . But, I am actually leaving in a few days for Prague. . . . so, trying to get planning done this week. . . .

So. . . . is the consensus that Orvieto is a better option than Siena? I also ready some posts about the Chianti area? My guess is that we have time only to choose 1 of those locations for 2 nights. . . .

We also like active travels. . . . and, were thinking we might forsake more days in other cities to do a a few day bike tour in Tuscany where you stay in farm houses or B&B's along the way? Anyone know of any cool tour operator that does a trip such as that?

Thank you. . . . thank you. . . .

Old Oct 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Hi

I'm not sure I can give any advice for accommodation. But here are my trip reports from Florence http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm and Rome http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM

The bike tour sounds interesting, but it's getting late in the season. Also, I've never seen a multi-day bike tour or walking tour that I'd consider reasonably priced. I doubt very much that there is one that accords with your stated budget range. But it's still worth investigating. Maybe get the Lonely Planet Italy Cycling Guide.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 04:55 AM
ira

Hi Dea,

I can highly recommend www.bedinflorence.it.

We spent 11 nights there, and were very pleased.

Details in my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM

You are looking to spend no more than 56 euro a night in Venice and Florence. Is that for each of you, or total for the night?

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 05:40 AM

11/1-11/9 isn't enough time for all the places you've listed especially if it includes travel time from the US.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi. . . . Wow. . . . Thank you for so many responses. . . .

First, the travel schedule from 11/1 to 11/9 does not include our travel days back to the US. . . .

Secondly, we are looking for no more than 56 euro total for both of us. . . . if possible. . . . Though, we did consider spending more for a night or two in the Tuscany area, if necessary. . . .

We would love to pick a town there and rent bikes, spend a day or two biking something somewhat moderate in difficulty from one town to another, sleep in a farmhouse or inexpensive, charming B&B and then head by to Florence. . . . Simply don't know whether the suggestions of Orvieto, Siena or Chianti are best for that?
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM

WOW--you're not kidding when you say short notice. Seeking bargain rates for beginning of November?

If you haven't done so, do check out Thorntree forum on Lonely Planet's website--http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=27

Italian Riviera vs. Tuscany? At this time of year I'd be more inclined for a Tuscan town. It's getting cooler & rainy at this time of year ..... towns along the Ligurian Coast, such as Portofino or any of the Cinque Terre towns .... they're more attractive when weather is nicer. Of course, it would be quieter, and likely less expensive to go there during early November.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM

Well, Orvieto is not a good base for a bike trip. It's up on a mesa, accessed by a steep winding road. Unless you can take the bikes up and down the funicular?

Siena would be okay. Our collective favorites in south Tuscany, Pienza and San Quirico d'Orcia, would be good bases for bike daytrips.

Portofino is very expensive. And I assume you're not thinking of bicycling on the Italian Riviera; it's mostly steep hills overlooking the sea. For example, there's no road connecting the Cinque Terre towns, just a trail and the train.

I agree this time of year Tuscany is better. You might also consider Umbria. It's a little cheaper than Tuscany.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM

I recommend you convert your 50-75 dollars to euro's as it appears you may have to spend more than planned.
For your needs pensiones are perfect.
That means two stars and they run
approx 65 euros.