Search

Budget trip costs in Scandinavia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget trip costs in Scandinavia

Hi,
I am planning a month-long trip to Scandinavia this summer. We (my gf and I) will be on a rather tight budget, and I am quite frigthened by what I am reading about costs in Scandinavia. Id be glad for any info on what to expect. I got a roughly good idea about accomodations from surfing, and we will have a scanrail (flexi). So what mostly worries me is eating & drinking (not alcohol, we can do without that), entrance fees to sites and transportation within the cities. our budget will roughly be somewhere near $150, when I guess half of that will go to accomodations in double rooms in youth hostels. is this reasonable?

Thanks for any info, Roy
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM

If you want double rooms in youth hostels, start booking now. April was too late in many cases for summer rooms a couple years ago.

I'd suggest getting breakfast at the hostel, even if it looks like a substantial extra charge. Scandinavian breakfasts are very filling, and can likely keep you going until supper.

Not sure that $75/night will be enough for accommodations in a double room - I think that's more like the price of two dorm beds.

For eating otherwise, you can go to a grocery store, and if splurging just a bit, a takeout ethnic restaurant. A 9" Margherita pizza will be in the range of $7-10.

Figure out what your accommodation is going to cost for sure, and work from there.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I checked out sites of quite a few hostels in different locations. From what I see $75 should make for a double room without a shower (that's on average, sometimes 70 sometimes 80 maybe a bit more in Stockholm, and sometimes free as we take night trains), normally breakfast included. Dorm beds are around $20. Anyhow, if we cant make the double at $75, we will go for the dorms, so that doesnt change the budget planning. We will have roughly $75 left for the rest.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM

That sounds good - but I would book now. Also remember that sheets and towels are often charged extra.

You can manage with the remaining $75 between the two of you, but it will be a spartan trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks will. Grateful for any more advice on costs and budget travel
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM

For cheap and comfortable sleeps look for <i>pensions</i>, another name for B&amp;B in Scandinavia.

For cheap eats, go to grocery stores and fix your own on a park bench or in your room. In restaurants, go early for dinner to avoid the sometimes cover charge. Greek and Italian restaurants offer a better value. Unless it's a smorgasborg, skip the regular restaurants.

Good thing that you don't drink because that is really expensive in Scandinavia.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks hopscotsch, any real number would help (like how much would a modest dinner in one of those greek/italian places cost, or getting some stuff at the grocery, etc...)
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Here are what I remember from 2003:

35-50 DKK for the cheapest possible Margherita pizza.
50 DKK for the cheapest possible takeout meal (roast chicken, fries.
50-60 NOK for a Margherita pizza.
70 NOK for the cheapest possible Indian meals.
I don't recall any figures for Sweden, but they were in line.

7-11 prices were ridiculous, but shopping at Danish Netto supermarkets and Norwegian Kiwi supermarkets. I didn't visit a supermarket in Sweden.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:37 AM
MNP

Just a little tip for you for entrance fees in Denmark. If you are interested in going to any of the museums several of them are free on Wednesdays and Sundays.

For breakfast hop into a bakery.

If your planning to use the public transportation a decent amount, buy a klipperkort instead of paying each time, you save some cash. (there are about 10 klips on a card and you are able to share it between the two of you)

I would also find a Netto for any drinks you may want to have on you throughout the day (water, cokes, ect)

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
KT

That reminds me. The national museums in Sweden, most of which are in Stockholm, are now free. Here's a list of the ones in Stockholm:
http://www.stockholmtown.com/templat...10689__EN.aspx

In addition, the Moderna Museet and a couple of others became free before the ones on this list.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Short answer from an older couple...on a tour we were in hotels, taking advantage of the ample breakfast smorgasborg, and also sometimes taking along cheese, bread and such for lunch.

We found it very easy to grab snacks from vendors all over the place, e.g.,
harbor markets in Helsinki and Bergen, along stroget in Copenhagen, in supermarket in Stockholm.
Also look for bargain cafes.
Ozarks Bill
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:02 AM

We have tryed and like ww.norwaythepoorway.coms. Its good for ideas to keep expnses or costs down in Noway.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:46 AM

I live in Helsinki Finland and can tell you somthing about prices over here.

You can have a pizza for anything between 5 and 10 euros. The pizzas are not the same as in the US. You have great pizzas over there. I just checked at www.pizzahut.fi and they have a lunch buffet for 7,9&euro; and it includes all you can eat pizza, salads and soup. Drinks are extra.

Lunch hour 11-13.30 main course with sald and bread from a buffet in a restaurant downtown Helsinki would cost6-9&euro;. In the evening that could almost double. A main course in a chinese restaurant would be the same at lunch, but not any more in the evening.

Eating at hamburger joints can save money if you know what to look for. The regular prices are higher than in the US, expect to pay 5,5&euro; for a mig mac meal. Daily specials advertized in windows gives you hamburgers for 1&euro; and double cheeseburgers for 2&euro;. Not very healthy.

Local transportation ticket is 2&euro;. Most museums charge you between 5-10&euro; for entrance. On the other hand there are plenty of free things to do as well. For a movie ticket you pay 10 on weekends, 9 during the week and mondays 6&euro;. For a video rental I pay 2&euro; (new movie) or 1 &euro; (old one). Finnish tabloid journals 1&euro;.

Pack of Marlboro costs 4&euro;. A beer from a supermarket around 1&euro;. A liter of milk is 0,75&euro;. 10 slices of cheese about 2 or maybe even 3&euro;. Tomatoes in the summer 1&euro;/kilo. Same for cucumbers and salad. A liter of juice 0,5-1&euro;. Of course you can take the American brand name thing (Tropicana) for 3&euro;. I suggest that you stick with the local stuff if tight on money. Maybe it´s a little different, but has the same nutritional value. Coke 1,5 liters 1,5-2,5&euro;. There´s always Coke or Pepsi on sale. Regular price can be 2,5 but sale price is two bottles for same money. That also includes the refund for the bottles at 0,4&euro; each. If you insist that you should have 0,5 liter bottles, we have those in the fridge, but price is 1,5&euro;. So just buy one big one and share with wife.

For a pint of beer in a bar expect to pay 4-5&euro;. Walk away from the city center and price drops to 3. Coffe in a caf&eacute; would cost you 2 &euro;. Ask for latte and double the price. Coffee at a gas station is 1&euro;.

One more thing. You don´t need to tip in Scandinavia. I don´t do that. Simply a waste of money. Waiters and everyone ese is paid a fair amount to do their job. Absolutely no reason to give tips. If something very special has been done you could tip, but that would most likely only confuse the person as we are not used to receiving money from doing our job (other than what the emploeyr pays us). All prices already include every imaginable taxes and beyond.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask for more. these were just to give you an idea o what to expect in Helsinki. Prices are quite same for Sweden and Denmark. Norway is more expensive.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:20 AM

150 USD/day should do it for the both of you. Just go for budget accomodations - a one-star hotel in Norway is like 3 stars in Paris/London/Rome etc.

Other budget tips:
* there are normally various free arrangements in the summer time, like concerts and street theatre.
* If you are lucky with the weather - buy a sleeping bag and sleep outdoors. Scandinavian countries have a rule giving everyone the right to camp almost anywhere. Just stay away from soccer fields..
* lunch: smuggle a few sandwiches from hotel breakfast, or just buy a bread and some cheese and have a picnic.
* in the country side, many private homes rent out room´s. Charming and cheap.

ENJOY
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:11 AM

In the bigger cities you can also usually rent University rooms for longer periods. They might give you a decent place to sleep if you stay long in one place. Skip the klippekort unless you are very restrictive with your travels, get a day-card or week-card for unlimited travel and at least in Oslo, that includes trains, busses, trams, ferries and subways...
As has been mentioned, camping is generally free and nice if you like camping. If you want specific tips for Oslo (and to a much smaller degree Norway in general) just ask here. Or send me a mail at sindre a saers . com

Sindre
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Someone wrote earlier: &quot;* If you are lucky with the weather - buy a sleeping bag and sleep outdoors. Scandinavian countries have a rule giving everyone the right to camp almost anywhere. Just stay away from soccer fields..&quot;

That´s about true. One also has to stay away from people´s yards. Not all of their property, but out of sight from the windows.

You´ll be just fine with 150$.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks for these great tips, especially helsinkiflyer - that was exactly what I was looking for, but everyone else too. You got me more confident that we can do this than I was before. Our trip will be in September, so expect more questions as it gets closer...
Thanks,
Roy (and Shiri)
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM

If you are staying in hostels, bring a sheetsack with you. Take a flat sheet of double or queen size, fold it lengthwise down the middle, and stitch the bottom shut and about 2/3 of the way up the side. If you don't bring a sheetsack with you, you will have to rent linens, and I believe back in 1998 that was about The equivalent of $5 a night. Also, if you will be in Copenhagen for 3 days, consider buying a Copenhagen Card. www.woco.dk
Free admission to 60 museums and tourist sites, and unlimited train and bus transportation in and around Copenhagen. 58 euros for a 72-hour card. Saves you the trouble of trying to figure out tickets and zones. Just flash your card and climb aboard. There are similar cards for Stockholm, Oslo, and Bergen, but I am not as familiar with them.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:02 AM

helsinkiflyer--- you rock! Great info that wil be beneficial to many future travelers to Helsinki. I am heading that way in the summer and while my student budget days are gone, I certainly still like to be cautious with expenses. By the way, where is the most convenient area (defined as walking distance to main sights) to stay in Helsinki? By the way, the only area I don't go budget is lodging.

roy, I'll be posting upon returning from my trip and will keep notes for any budget ideas to share.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Viajero, I'll wait for that post!