Budget Switzerland?

Feb 28th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Donna

Budget Switzerland?

I am on a tight budget this year, but can't stand not going to Europe until I can afford it, so I am going to Switzerland in May/June, dates not set yet. Any ideas on inexpensive places to stay (not hostels) in Zermatt, Locarno, Lucerne, or any other good ideas of cities you may have?
Flying into Zurich and out of Milan so far.
Thanks.

Mar 1st, 2002, 04:56 AM
s

Hi Donna,

Karen Brown (www.karenbrown.com) has one itinerary in Switzerland that she calls "Best on a Budget." She includes the Hotel du Lac Seehof in Kussnacht am Rigi (on Lake Lucerne) and the Elvezia al Lago in Castagnola near Lugano. You can get more information on her website.

My own advice would be to head to the smaller towns or villages near your destinations to get a better hotel value. For instance, instead of staying in Lucerne, stay in a smaller town on the lake, like Vitznau or Weggis; stay in Saas-Fee or Saas-Grund instead of Zermatt.

Sorry I can't be more help; maybe someone will see this today and have a personal recommendation that can help!

s

Mar 1st, 2002, 04:57 AM
MH

You are on a tight budget yet you choose to visit one of the most expensive countries in europe. Remember to bring money to eat...You may want to rethink your vacation and your budget. My expereince as an american living in europe is that Italy,Spain, Portugal are the least expensive countries to visit. Good luck and have fun with wherever you decide to go

Mar 1st, 2002, 05:56 AM
bonnie

Donna: I have always had good luck with the "E&G" hotels in Switzerland. You can get a brochure of these from www.rooms.ch/index.cfm It's not a chain, just a grouping of smaller, inexpensive hotels with charm and character across the country. I have stayed in E&G's in Zermatt, Lenk, and Kandersteg and enjoyed each one.

Mar 1st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Ingo

Hi Donna,

I second bonnie and (partly) s. E&G hotels are a good choice. For Locarno check www.maggiore.ch . Inexpensive but good hotels are Mueller Garni (great view) above the town, Cittadella and Vecchia Locarno, both in the old town. For Lake Lucerne I recommend to go to Gersau, a small village, www.gersau.ch , with inexpensive small hotels. I suggest to avoid Zermatt, but also Saas Fee or Grund (sorry, s). If you really want to visit those (IMO) crowded and overappreciated places you should stay in Visperterminen, Zeneggen or St. Niklaus. You might find accommodation at www.valaistourism.ch. IMO there are other (and cheaper) beautiful valleys in Valais: Val d’Anniviers or Loetschental f.e.

Hotel Elvezia al Lago is a good choice, but I am afraid too expensive. Try Fischers Seehotel nearby. www.ticino-tourism.com (location=Castagnola).

MH: Sorry, but I do not agree with you. Switzerland might be expensive in general, but there are a lot of opportunities to save money. Don’t go to crowded and famous places like Zermatt. Visit the unknown (for foreign travellers) places and choose small and cosy (E&G f.e.) hotels. To book half-board is a good deal. I spent several vacations in the countries you mentioned (except Portugal), but do not think they are much cheaper than Switzerland. I would agree if you had mentioned Czech Republic, Hungary and other Eastern Europe countries, but you cannot compare their comfort and infrastructure for tourists to Switzerland.

Ingo

Mar 1st, 2002, 01:22 PM
Donna

Thanks everyone, I will look into all the suggestions, they are great. Such a good idea, to stay near the bigger towns, that would be more interesting anyway.
I will take enough money to spend, I just don't want to stay in expensive hotels this time.
I hope this trip works out, I need it.

Mar 1st, 2002, 03:01 PM
Wayne

Donna--
Although "Budget Switzerland" appears to be an oxymoron, there are lots of budget places in Switzerland. Another idea is to try your browser on "Switzerland B&Bs" to look for more places. In Interlaken, for instance, there is a lovely B&B called "Sunny Days" that is less than $100 per night for a double; and if you are going single, it should be even better. Web site is www.sunnydays.ch.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:44 AM
jw

Hi Donna! The E & G Hotels are a good option, but I have three of my own favorites for two-star hotels (I've bored people to tears recommending these little places over and over): Auberge de Rivaz in Rivaz on Lac Leman, Hotel Hirschen in Leissigen on Lac Thun, and Hotel Panorama in Gerra-Gambarogno on Lago Maggiore. To get the best rates, you need to stay three or more nights, but I like to stay put anyway. It is also possible, if you're young and flexible, to show up at the tourist office and ask them to find you a room in a private home. J.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:28 PM
John

Donna,
Switzerland is expensive, no doubt about it. There are, however, nice, lower cost places, even in such tourist meccas as Luzern. There, for example, you can get a hotel on the Reuss River for under $100--try the Hotel Mr. Pickwick (http://www.hotelpickwick.ch/)
or the Tourist Hotel, near the Spreuerbrucke with great views and rates under $66 bucks for a double with no shower/toilet to under $95 for a double with facilities.(http://www.touristhotel.ch/) All prices include breakfast.

A low cost but nice hotel just across from the Altstadt is the Pension Roessli (http://www.roesli.ch/) with rates in May/June of $83/nite/room without breakfast.

So, if you like Luzern and these prices are in your budget, you might want to give some of these hotels a try. Or check the tourist board for their listing of hotels and see what you come up with:
http://www.luzern.org/index%5Fe.html

Good travels.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:01 PM
xx

The groceries are a great place to pick up a picnic lunch, there are so many wonderful places to have a picnic. How many other countries can you have a picnic on a mountainside along with cows with bells on their necks, a terrific view, and beautiful wildflowers. Yes, Switzerland is do-able on a budget, a little harder than some other countries, but do-able. There are some wonderful places to stay in private homes, a little harder to find than in other countries but there are some there. The Swiss are wonderful people, a little harder to get to know, and a little more reserved. Try the farms, we have stayed at some very intersting farm B&B's in small towns. Great people, great fun. Good luck!