Reload this Page >

Budget hotels in London

Search

Budget hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Shauna

Budget hotels in London

Any suggestions for budget hotels in London (95 pounds or less) for August 16-18? I'd like to get as much for my money as possible.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:12 AM
katie

Try the Regent Palace Hotel. Located in Picadilly Circus, it is near everything and relatively cheap in comparison to other hotels. The only thing is that there are shared bathrooms. You need to call the maids to be let into the showers so they are very private and are also pretty clean. <BR><BR>You can also search for hotels on the Net. Most of the budget hotels can be found in the Bloomsbury area, which is also pretty central to everything.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Mel

I've posted this before, so a search for budget London should bring up several suggestions, but here it is again:<BR>There are several in the Kensington area--Montana Hotel, Adelphi, Abcone, Burns. I book through hotel-assist.com because they discount deeper than other sites I've seen, run specials and show pictures with good descriptions. Have a great trip! <BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:08 AM
s.fowler

We've been using St. Margarets on Bedford Place just south of Russell Square. It is simple, barebones even -- don't expect "charm", but it is CLEAN [as in SPOTLESS] and well-managed. The front desk is very helpful and the breakfast choices are substantial [with a serious fetish for grilled tomoatoes -- they just could believe I wanted eggs without that item!] They now take credit cards. And the Airbus route 2 stops twice an hour at the head of Bedford Place. Our most recent stay was earlier this month. We had a bathroom down the hall and a sink in our room arrangement. We paid $90. US. One recommendation -- ask that the room be as close to the plumbing as possible as for some rooms you have to go down a floor.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Julie

Shauna, another great site is www.smoothhound.co.uk

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Julie

Sorry...hit that reply button just a little too quickly. On the site that I listed previously, you will find listed a few B&amp;B's that I have personally stayed at and have enjoyed: George Hotel, Euro Hotel (I like Cartwright Gardens, which is a large crescent, B&amp;B's). There's also: Seven Dials Hotel which is very centrally located (right by West End theatres &amp; restaurants &amp; Covent Garden). But my all-time favorite B&amp;B in Bloomsbury is the Jenkins Hotel (don't have the info on me right now, but I know that if you do a search on the web it will come up - it's also on the Cartwright Gardens crescent). My only other advice is to try and book something asap since this price range tends to go quickly. Good luck!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Libbie

We're also going to be in London Aug. 17, and we booked the Hotel Montana thru hotel-assist.com. I haven't seen the hotel yet, but it's supposed to be recently redecorated. It's 79 pounds per night for two, in a great location. Hotel-assist was very easy to deal with.<BR><BR>Good luck, and enjoy!<BR><BR>Libbie

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Mel

Libby:<BR>I checked out the Montana last September because I've tried a few times to get in and they were booked. It looks great from the street, the lobby is clean, the front desk people were very nice and the rooms, though small (as they all are) were clean and neat. It's a great location--right across from the Gloucester Road tube (and Waitrose, my favorite supermarket). You'll like coming home to Kensington each night. Please post after you've stayed there and let me know if it worked out okay.<BR><BR>By the way, Shauna, all the hotels I listed in my earlier post have en suite bathrooms--a must for me! I've stayed at all but the Montana. I'd go for the Burns first, Adelphi second and Abcone last (a little shopworn, but the room on the first floor is huge).

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 05:45 AM
David White

Shauna,<BR><BR>For a modern "budget" hotel, try the Travel Inn County Hall. It is located next to the London Eye, within a short walk of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. <BR>Rooms are £75 per night.<BR><BR> http://www.travelinn.co.uk<BR><BR>There is also a brand new Days Inn nearby in Waterloo. Slightly more expensive, slightly less convenient for sightseeing.<BR><BR>Also, the Sanctuary House, a Fullers Inn located near Westminster Abbey. New, with airconditioning (!). Weekend prices are below your target...weekdays are slightly above. Info:<BR><BR> http://www.fullers.co.uk/main.phtml?history=1157<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR>[email protected]

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 10:36 AM
mimi

We stayed at the Thanet, near Russell SQuare and loved the location. Three years ago it was 74 pounds. It is an old Georgian style hotel,no lift, newish bathrooms, large English breakfast, and not many rooms. We had a large room that slept 3 with a double and twin bed. The help was very nice and you could take the subway from Heathrow and only had to walk three blocks.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:33 AM
Pat

Just returned from London with my husband and two children ages 11 and 14. We stayed at the Travel Inn County Hall for 75 pounds a night. It was nothing fancy but quite clean. The restaurant in the hotel was pretty good. The best part was the location, it was fantastic. We were equidistant between Waterloo and Westiminster tube stations, each one being about a block or two away.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:07 AM
shauna

Thanks for all your helpful responses. It turns out I'll be able to stay at the home of a friend in Westminster! I'll be sure to use the advice for my next visit to the area. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:10 AM
elaine

topping for Melissa