Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget Hotel Convenient to Amsterdam Airport?

Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In Amsterdam, what budget hotel (say, $70 - $140 or 60E - 120E for 2) would you recommend for an overnight between connecting flights?. Essentials, the 4 C's: clean, convenient, comfortable, & clean.

I'm trying to decide on where to connect when flying between Seattle and Italy. It has come down to a choice of connecting in Amsterdam (Delta-KLM) or Frankfurt (Lufthansa).

Coming home we'll have to stay overnight in the connecting city because of flight timing. I've overnight transferred in Frankfurt before, so know the options and know the nearby budget hotel I'd use there (a convenient 20 minute frequent shuttle away - the Ibis or Mercure). What would you recommend convenient to Schiphol?
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stay IN central Amsterdam. It is very close via train and even by taxi not that expensive.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other than advising you to read reviews on booking.com, I would also suggest you give strong consideration to choosing a chain hotel that offers you an opportunity to enroll in a loyalty program with whichever chain hotel you usually prefer in Frankfurt.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Last May to do a similar stop-over in Amsterdam before flying back to the US, I got a Hotwire deal and got the Dorint Hotel Amsterdam Airport for $42 USD ($53.54 with taxes and fees). Based on the BetterBidding.com website, this is the hotel I was expecting to get. It was a super nice hotel - 4-star, almost new, very comfortable. Unfortunately, I was there only a short time.

There is a free hotel shuttle that was convenient and frequent.

A few years ago, I used Priceline to get a hotel in Amsterdam for a bit more. It was more convenient to stay in Amsterdam, because I did go into the city in the evening. This time, staying at the Dorint, I had to take the shuttle back to the airport, then a train into town...and going home late, I had to wait a while for the late shuttle from the airport back to the hotel. Of course, I could have just taken a taxi back to the hotel. I could have gotten a hotel with Hotwire in May for about $10 more in town at a lower star rating - probably should have, even though the Dorint was so nice.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

janisj: that's tempting, could fly in midday, fly out afternoon next ... but wouldn't have much time ... but at least the evening could be spent more pleasantly in Amsterdam than Kelsterbach
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM

I agree, have spent way too many nights in Kelsterbach at the Ibis but it's inexpensive and has good transportation to Frankfurt airport.

Try looking at booking.com for reasonable hotels at or near Schipol.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 12:04 PM

Just looked, there is an Ibis showing 1.7 km(miles?) from Schipol with airport transportIon. At least you know you're getting a clean bed even if it lacks charm and the $ is right.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Stayed at the Hyatt Place. New hotel with the very best breakfast (complimentary) I've ever had in a hotel, which was totally unexpected. Although it's in a business park, there is a shuttle to/from the airport If you have time to go into the city, you could shuttle to the airport and take the metro into/out of the city. Become a member of the Hyatt program, Gold Passport, for points.

http://amsterdamairport.place.hyatt....otel/home.html
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 02:27 PM

One very easy and often economical compromise is to stay at a hotel right by the Sloterdijk train station - - which is often the first train stop toward Amsterdam as you leave Schiphol, halfway between the airport and city center. There are often deals on hotels there, like the Meininger Amsterdam West, which is right by the Sloterdijk station - - super convenient (11 minute train ride from the airport) - - you don't have to worry about hotel shuttle schedules or being stranded at an airport hotel that is far from everything.

To get a good price, I would do the following: check out prices at www.booking.com by entering your date, then ZOOM IN ON THE MAP to the Sloterdijk train station and look at prices for the hotels close by that pop up as you hang your cursor over them on the map - - but then after making notes of possible options go to www.trivago.com and see if you can't get a better quote for one of the same hotels for that night, and perhaps also try the Meininger Amsterdam City West or other hotel sites directly.

This option should get you a hotel at a good price, with very frequent connections from the airport (more frequent than hotel shuttles) that will also allow you to pop into Amsterdam center (a further 5 to 7 minute train ride) if you are up for it.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 07:30 PM

I layover often in FRA and AMS. If coming back home early is not a mandatory and can spend a few hours more, I approach this as making lemonade from lemons.

Using layover as only as a layover. Value derived is a place to sleep, convenient to airport, at minimum cost.

Using layover as yet another opportunity to visit. Value derived is a sightseeing opportunity. Constraints are similar but if greater value derived, opens up more price range options.

To do the latter option, I tinker with my schedule to MAXIMIZE the layover without driving up the airfare. At AMS, I can squeeze out 21-23 hour layovers this way. Because Netherlands has excellent train network, I have visited Amsterdam, Keukenhof gardens and Haarlem during the Tulip season, Arnhem openair museum, Utrechet, etc, during an overnight layover.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

greg - yup
At AMS depending on flights I can get in noon-ish and fly out mid afternoon for slightly over 22 hrs
But at FRA I'd have to leave mid morning
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Egg jelly, I just booked a hotel (the Conscious Museum) that is right on the route of the 197 bus from Schiphol. The bus takes half an hour and drops right at Museumsplein, then Leidseplein. Round-trip is 9 euro, or 10 if you buy in advance on the 197.

The bus is designed for travelers with luggage, so it's another way to keep an in/out from Schiphol simple. Booking an airport hotel is a good option if you really don't think you want to see anything, but booking a hotel right by where the 197 stops is (like Sloterdijk) another easy in/out that gives you the opportunity to explore the city if you want to.

Link to info & schedules: http://www.bus197.nl/
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 12:48 PM

The Ibis at Amsterdam airport is fine, and has a reasonable restaurant too. We often stay the night there before flying out, using their park sleep fly offer. It is cheaper than parking at Schiphol and gets the trip off to a relaxed start.