Reload this Page >

Budget For Traveling In Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:45 AM
AllyJoy

Right now my fiance and I would like to get an idea of how much we should plan to spend while we are traveling around Italy. Here are some of the details: month of trip - October; duration of trip - 16 days; type of hotels - nice, but not extravagant; 3 meals a day, but nothing at an expensive restaurant; places visiting - Venice, Milan, Florance (& a few smaller places in between); travel between towns - public transportation (trains/buses). So, without including airfare (cause that depends on where you fly out of/in to) and without thinking of souvenirs at all... does anyone have an estimate of how much the 2 of us should plan on spending in Italy? Thanks for your help...

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:08 AM
paulo

Between $4,500 and $5,000.<BR><BR>Hotel stay: $ 2,400<BR>Intercity travel (including airport): $ 300<BR>Restaurants: $ 1,500<BR>Local transp/museum tickets/gelatto/etc: $ 700<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

AllyJoy, Paulo is real close. I would count on $200/day for food and lodging and $50/day for transport and tourism. <BR>That is $4000 for 16 days. You throw in the air fares and some other goodies and you will spend a total of from $5600 to $6000 for the whole magilla. <BR>Paulo is a more discerning gourmet.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:52 AM
AllyJoy

Thanks, guys. If we are interested in cheaper lodging, what would you recommend? Are there B&B out of the cities that would be less expensive?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 08:11 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>Why don't you define what you are looking for in hotels: at that time of year, air conditioning needn't be a priority, but for example, do you want an elevator? I assume private bath. <BR>Paulo and Bob responded I believe based on your request for "nice" hotels. <BR>It is of course possible to spend less on "decent" hotels, some even with charm. How much would you prefer to spend? <BR>You can search for hotels on this forum for each city. Don't wait too long to book places to stay, because the small, popular, budget-minded places often fill up many months in advance. <BR>here are just a few websites on places to stay <BR>www.venere.it <BR>www.ve.flashnet.it <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>www.venicehotel.com/ <BR>www.italyhotel.com/ <BR>www.italyguide.com/ <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>www.travelweb.com <BR>http://hotelsvenice.com <BR>www.italiantourism.com/ I <BR>www.traveleurope.it/ <BR>www.itwg.com <BR>www.ciaoitaly.net network of B&Bs <BR>www.veniceinfo.it/ <BR>contatto.php3?Codice=63 <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 08:32 AM
sandi

Hi there. I kept a budget book for our 2-week trip in Oct/Nov of this year. We stayed in the places you mentioned and then some. I can send it to you directly if you'd like. Pls email me w/ your address. Thanks. <BR> <BR>[email protected]

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:13 AM
the turnip

As much as I would love to stay in 4 star hotels I simply cannot afford it. Besides when I'm in Europe I'm never at the hotel. You'll be out sight seeing, eating and drinking and shopping. You can literally save $1000 by staying at B&B's instead. To me, on my limited budget that's a no-brainer. Even in Venice you can stay for less than $75 a night. (Hotel Galleria - do a search on the forum). <BR> <BR>We went for two weeks last may and spent less than $3,000 for two of us. Everyone has different tastes but I would much rather go every year at $2,500 than every other at $5,000.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:33 AM
AllyJoy

the turnip - <BR>Could you tell me more about these great B&B's that you stayed at? Possibly name a few other ones in various cities? I'm very interested in saving money for our trip!!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi Ally, <BR> <BR>For cheaper hotels, I can offer my experience. I just got back from Venice/Florence. <BR> <BR>I stayed in Venice, Florence, then back to Venice. <BR> <BR>My first 3 days in Venice, I stayed at a Rick Steves pick called Albergo Corona. It was VERY small (I had a single room) and I wouldn't call it 'charming' by any stretch, BUT, it was VERY clean, very well located (a 5 minute walk to St. Marks) as well as cheap - 75K lire a night, which works out to about 35 bucks or so. <BR> <BR>I don't know how much a double would cost, and, this was with the shower/bath right next to my room, not in it. I did peek into one of the doubles - much more room to move although I wouldn't call it spacious. I don't want to make it sound negative, it was a great find for traveling on a budget (hey, cheap, very clean, lotsa hot water & great location - what more can you ask for) but for traveling on a romantic trip... well, depends on what you want I guess. just being in Venice is romantic, too! <BR> <BR>In Florence, I stayed at another Rick pick - Pensione Bretagna. wonderful location (right on the Arno, one bridge down from Ponte Vecchio, so quite close) but my room did not overlook the Arno - the breakfast room did however. It too was very clean & it was en suite (but *small* bathroom). The single room was also small but a good bit bigger than in Albergo Corona. It was 95K lire per night, which is about 45 or so dollars. again, not what I would call elegant/romantic (although the dining room/visitors reception area was lovely) but the basics were all met - cheap, very clean, well located, lotsa hot water. I stayed 3 nights. <BR> <BR>last place - 2 nights. I stayed at one more Rick pick. Hotel Marin. again, cheap, well located (for an early flight out), clean. NO hot water. more like lukewarm. not warm enough to stand under the shower for any length of time - had to get creative to get clean. but this was the biggest room, it truly was quite clean, and as my flight was 7 AM to go home - this was 2 bridges away from the bus stop - which makes life easier with all those souvenirs. this was 100K per night. I had a double room, but it was just me (don't know if they gave me a discount for that, or not. maybe not) <BR> <BR>it depends on what you want. I would not call any of these places luxurious/romantic, but adequate for going on an adventure on the cheap. <BR> <BR>I don't have the numbers on me now, but, if you have access to a 1999 or 2000 Rick Steves Italy book, check 'em out (mine was 1999). <BR> <BR>hope this helps. and, I have to say, had I done more research (esp into B&Bs) I could have found something with more charm & maybe not too much more money. (or maybe not - based on comments here, anything under 100 per night in Venice is a dive and while these places weren't the Ritz I wouldn't call them dives by a long shot. clean & very basic, but not dives. who knows, maybe a 100 dollar typical room in Venice is the 'value' of these rooms would be, and I somehow got a great deal). <BR> <BR>comments, anyone? <BR> <BR>thanks <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:52 AM
AllyJoy

Thanks much, Beth. I will look into that Rick Steves book as you recommended.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Paulo

If you travel 2nd class on IC trains, you'll spend (2 tickets) Lit 74,200 from Milan to Venice, Lit 72,600 from Venice to Florence and Lit 84,000 from Florence to Milan. Allow some for airport transfers and side trips in Tuscany and your total would add up to Lit 330,000. If you want to travel with seat reservations, add up Lit 11,600 for each trip you'd like to reserve. If you want to travel on an Eurostar from Venice to Florence, add Lit 26,800 and from Florence to Milan, Lit 23,400. In this case, you don't need to pay for seat reservations because they're already accounted for. There are no Eurostars between Milan and Venice.<BR><BR>One can find "decent" a-star hotel lodging in Milan, Venice and Florence for Lit 150,000/double. One may keep the food expenses for two to Lit 100,000/day. That would add up to Lit 4,000,000. <BR><BR>Limit your average daily expenses with local transportation and site entry fees to Lit 60,000, and your grand total would be around Lit 5.3 million, which would add up today $2,650 (interbank +2% rate, typical of credit cards).<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:46 PM
the turnip

Our B&B in Rome was "Giada". The owner's name is Enzo Giusti. He speaks fluent English and was very friendly. His telephone number is 06/582 01 635. <BR> <BR>Just remember the tiem difference when calling Italy! <BR> <BR>Rick Steves books also do a good job of listing budget accomodations. <BR> <BR>Cheers