Budget for Meals in Italy?

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:57 PM
ChrisP

Budget for Meals in Italy?

My wife and I will be visiting Italy this summer - primarily Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast areas. I would appreciate some guidance as to how to budget for meals. I realize that as in the US, the food ranges from cheap to expensive. I'm just looking for some GENERAL advice on what a typical, good meal might cost for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thanks.

Apr 26th, 2001, 07:41 PM
mac

Hi Chris.

We spent about US35 per day for the two of us. Bear in mind we are budget travellers; some days we were happy with pizza for dinner. On the other hand, we never went hungry. Hope this helps.

Apr 26th, 2001, 07:49 PM
mac

I should add that this figure assumes breakfast is included with one's hotel,that one picnics for lunch, and of course does not include wine. So I doubt you should budget much less than this.

Apr 27th, 2001, 07:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Chris, Here is what I plan:
breakfast---free
lunch---$20 for 2
dinner--$35 for 2
gelato/cappucino--$5

That is $60/day/couple--you add a hotel at an average of $140 and you get my the daily budget of $200--about right for food an lodging. Have fun !

Apr 27th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Lexma90

We always eat our breakfasts in a cafe -most of the time, hotel breakfasts are overpriced. Here's my guess and what we spend (for 2):

Breakfast: $5 (coffee & croissants)
Lunch: $8-30
Dinner: $40

Lunch is going to be your biggest variable. Because lunch tends to be a leisurely affair in Italy, we lose out on sight-seeing time, and I get tired after a while of two 2-hour meals each day. So most of the time we buy pizza-by-the-slice, or cheese & bread & fruit from a market, which is $8 or cheaper. On the few days that we have eaten a restaurant lunch, it's the $30. So consider what kind of lunch you're likely to want.

For dinner, we look for untouristy (as much as possible), good local food. We always have a bottle of wine, and usually have 2 courses (i.e., appetizer and pasta, or pasta and main course, and rarely dessert and/or coffee.

For in between, we usually have a glass of wine, cafe latte and/or gelato more than once a day.

Hope this helps!

Apr 27th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Mary

Hi Chris,

My husband and I recently returned from a trip to Italy and on average we spent $100 - $120 a day between the two of us. This was for everything (meals, sights, gelato, postcards, bus/metro and the occasional taxi fare), except lodging. We really only ate one big meal a day, either lunch or dinner, and the other was a take out sandwich or pizza. We had two dinners at Ristorantes that were around $50.00 total (anti pasta, salad, main course, dessert and wine), otherwise the meals were between $25 and $35. Pretty darn cheap when you think about it! You can eat a much more expensive places, but we pretty much stuck with the average ristorante/trattoria.

My definition of breakfast is a cup of coffee and a pastry. Fortunately, Italy is the place for this and it's dirt cheap. A Cafe latte and chocolate croissant together were around $1.50 - 3.00. This should give you an idea why Starbucks hasn't managed to infiltrate Italy yet!

Mary

P.S. We had some remarkably good food in the bars that serve food cafeteria style and warm it up in a microwave for you so don't be put off by the presentation!

Apr 27th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Rex

topping - - it's a brisk moving afternoon!

Apr 27th, 2001, 04:42 PM
John H

Topping

Apr 28th, 2001, 05:45 AM
xxx

Does ChrisP have a handle on finding this thread yet?