Budget for Meals?

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 01:56 PM
ChrisP

Budget for Meals?

My wife and I will be travelling in Italy this summer - both in Tuscany and then on to the Amalfi coast area. I'm wondering what I should budget for meals. I realize that just like in the US, there are ranges of restaurants. I'm interested in getting a GENERAL idea of what a good meal should cost at a nice restaurant (primarily lunch and dinner). Not necessarily the BEST 4 star establishments, just good places to eat. Thanks!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Rex

Lunch often costs more in europe than in America - - especially if your idea of lunch is $4 or less. You can have a nice PICNIC lunch cheaply in Europe - - but lunch tends to be more "plate" food than "on-the-go" food.

For dinner, I think you can find ranges that are very similar to what can be found in the US. You want a $10 dinner? you can find adequate, and original food in both countries. Spend $30 and you will feel like you have been "out to dinner". Spend $60 (to 200?) and hopefully, it will be very memorable.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:28 PM
John H

Wow -- someone else who does a budget for a trip! My comments below relate to a France trip -- not Italy -- but, given the level of the Euro and my experience in Italy, I think these are good numbers for budgeting.

I went to France last year in September. The Euro is currently roughly where it was when we were there (which is about a 25% discount from the date of the Euro's initial float). For the first time in a long while, I thought one could eat well quite inexpensively.

The figures below represent our actual average expenditures over 16 days in France. Note that we only spent 3 days in Paris; expenses are much lower outside of main cities, and we ate our very best meals, by choice, outside of Paris. Here's what we actually spent last year over that period (per person; we were 6 adults):

Breakfast: $7-$9 -- we tended to have coffee and crepes or pastries as opposed to American-style breakfasts. We generally ate outside of the hotels. (Budget closer to $12-$15 if you plan to eat breakfast at a hotel and it is not included in the room price)

Lunch: $10-12 (versus an initial budget of $20). Some people prefer to spend more on lunch and make it the largest meal/expense (nice lunches are generally cheaper than nice dinners). This was eating at fairly ordinary places (though we certainly sought guidance/recommendations from guide books, web sites and friends before we left)

Dinner: $31 on average -- we made dinner our main meal and had researched or sought recommendations before our trip and also got advice from a few hoteliers. We ate like kings (including eating 3 dinners at Michelin-starred restaurants outside of the Paris region: 2 1-star and 1 2-star). These were all very good to excellent meals, and were the typical 2-3 hour affairs. We thought we did really well at this expenditure level, and we would not change these experiences for the world. Spending at the $30/person level (versus $20) made all the difference in the world, I think, in our eating experience. And, it only adds $150 over 2 weeks -- hardly a dent in a European vacation budget.

Hope this is helpful. Clearly, the more effort/planning you put in up front, the better value and experience you can get. (I even made several dinner reservations before I left, especially at the nicest/best value places).

Have a great trip.

john

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 07:01 PM
xxx

Same thread, started twice?

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Roberta

Hi...I have a similar itinerary to yours upcoming in June...I went to Zagat's site and they not only give you an idea of prices (per each restaurant) but also examples of food/menus, hours of operation (some restaurants are closed one day of the week, some only serve dinners, etc), and of course a review. I believe Fodor's has similar help on this site.
The prices I experienced in the past are exactly what Rex's note says (earlier poster).
Have a great time.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Steve James

Topping for Chris. (Maybe you didn't scroll down far enough...)

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Rex

topping again - - just 3 hrs later

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:06 PM
John H

topping for Chris

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 03:32 AM
ChrisP

I finally figured out how to find this. Thanks, all.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:10 AM
ChrisP

I find it both odd and interesting that someone claiming to be me posted at 7:32 AM on 4/28 a message saying that I "finally figured out" how to find my earlier posts and thanking everyone for their help.

First, let me echo the "thanks", I DO appreciate the help. And yes, I have finally figured out how to find the responses to my earlier queries. Actually, I didn't figure out anything, I merely followed the instructions so kindly posted by another person.

Finally, to the person who posted before as "me", please don't do that again. If you have something to say to me, you can e-mail me directly. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.