Search

Budget accomodation in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget accomodation in Rome?

Im looking for a hotel or apartment to stay for a few night in Rome next month

i have found a decent place near to Termini Station for Euro115 per night - was wondering if anyone can recommend any cheaper options as its more than i would like to pay - obviously the more central the better but i dont mind being further out as long as its near a metro station - also prefer to have a private bathroom rather than shared
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM

Hi Roodboy,

Try Hotel Giardino Rome, a 2*. It's not in the Termini area which is a plus. I stayed there Sept 05 in a single room with private bath for 90E /night. Great location, on Via XXIV de Maggio, in between Trajan's Market and the Quirinale.

Katy the owner is great and her staff extremely friendly and helpful. They answer e mails promptly. Typical breakfast, cozy, low water pressure in shower. Double paned windows and A/C make sleeping great.

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM

Hotel Panda is a favorite--we stayed in March and the location can't be beat. It is a block from the Spanish Steps, but most importantly, it is only a block from the Metro. Short walking distance to most major attractions.

It is showing at 95/98 euros for a private with bathroom, depending on when in the month you are there.

http://www.hotelpanda.it/englishpnd/basestart.asp

There are several reviews (including my own) at Trip Advisor.

Have fun!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM

Try:

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budge...n-ci-1067.html

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

We only paid 50 euros for the two of us including breakfast at this place last year. The rooms are not fancy but it is a very good budget option. We chose to stay near the Termini for transportation purposes but found this room to be quiet and safe.

We never splurge in Rome but do that when we are in the countryside or small villages. We find that when in Rome our days are jam-packed with stuff that we only need the room for sleeping. That's how we justify it, anyway...

http://www.bboasi.net/index.htm
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the recommendations - I will send out some emails and check availability
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM

Hi Roodboy,

I stayed at hotel Teatro Pace 33 a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with it; it is two minutes walk from Piazza Navona and I paid E90 per night for a single ensuite room and breakfast. I don't know what the official star rating is but I think it's 3/4 star standard; the bathroom was big and spotlessly clean, and the room was clean and a good size. The "downside" is that it doesn't have a lift, this doesn't bother me at all but it's something to be aware of.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
jgarvey

Have you thought about looking at the bed and breakfast websites for Rome? Many have private bathrooms; they appear to be clean and cozy with lots of personal attention from owner. They also seem to be listed for lower rates than hotel rooms.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM

There are a couple hotels in the Campo dei Fiori area (off Corso Vittorio Emanuele Blvd) so you don't have to stay near Termini. That area is rather seedy and can be questionable in some areas at night.

Albergo della Lunetta (http://www.albergodellalunetta.it/pa...nu_inglese.htm) is 70 euros a night with bathroom inside room; and the Hotel Campo dei Fiori (http://reservations.comparediscounth...amp;country=IT) 150 euros +/- per room, are a couple options to consider. I have stayed at both properties numerous times. Between the 2 places, the Albergo della Lunetta is going to be cheaper (less than 100 euros a night); however, the Hotel Campo dei Fiori serves a continental breakfast that is included in their rate, so whichever works best for you. To get to both hotels, you can take the #64 bus from Termini Station and exit at the Corso Vittorio Emanuele stop (McDonalds on your R side) and cross over the blvd on your L to get into the Campo/piazza area.

The Campo area is very central to everything in Rome (IMO). In addition to its famous open fruit/vegetable/flower market every morning (since Medieval times), you can easily access famous Roman sites. It is less than a 15 minute walk to the Pantheon, Roman Forum area of ruins, Colisseum, etc as well as being next to the Tiber River and Trastevere. Also, busses run frequently up to the Vatican area/St. Peters, Villa Borghese, etc.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM

Hello -

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Italy. Our hotel in Rome was great. It was only 90 euro a night and in the Campo area. It was called Hotel Parione and is owned by the Hotel Smeraldo. However, they have since merged the two together and it is now called dependance of Hotel Smeraldo. It's just across the street from Hotel Smeraldo. Great deal. Room was small byt very clean and nice bathroom. I highly recommend it. Location was ideal.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help

Unfortunately some of the recommended places (e.g. Hotel Panda which looked like a perfect option!) are already full for our dates plus I should have clarified that im looking for a double ensuite room rather than single for under E100

Am now checking availability at various apartments and b&bs on this website which I saw mentioned on another thread:
http://www.sleepinitaly.com/
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:07 AM

Huitres-I would really have to strongly disagree about your assessment of Termini-it depends WHERE in the area of Termini you are staying-there has been a true renaissance of hip new hotels, bars, refurbishing of old hotels, and a general sprucing up of this area that makes it a wonderful place to stay, particularly in the area around Piazza della Repubblica, simply because it is so accessible to most of the sights, not to mention the fact that with Termini within a couple of blocks, you can take any bus or train connection easily in and outside the city-including all the great double-decker tourist buses for the main sights.

Myself, I now prefer staying near Esquilino/via Cavour/Repubblica area, simply because it has some great renovated properties (I stayed at the Relais Antico Palazzo Respigliosi this past September, right in the shadows of Santa Maria Maggiore, two blocks from Termini, and REALLY loved this area-it is close to everything-and there is another residence property that has just opened nearby that I may want to try in the future as well.

As for nighttime, it's so quiet in that area of Esquilino, it's unbelieveable-I was thinking I wasn't even in the city, yet, I could easily walk to the Colisseum, Forii Imperiali, the Spanish Steps, or obviously, take a bus to where I wanted to go.

Really, the Termini area of Rome is a VERY different place than it was, even say, 6 years ago.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM
LJ

Amen and let 's hear it for another Termini supporter-with my DH and alone and with my teenage daughter and with girlfriends, I have stayed in and thoroughly enjoyed, the Termini area. It has picked up in the past 5 years. I am a big fan of the area near the Opera, esp. the Hotel Sonya and Trattorria Abruzzessi and grand concerts by students of the Opera at St. Paul-within-the Walls.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:20 AM

We stayed at Hotel Arenula (near Campo Di Fiori) on November 10. We got a double ensuite room for 90 or 95 Euro.

We found it to be a great location - very central to everything. You AREN'T close to the Metro though, but we found it was really only necessary to take transportation on our arrival and departure days. We had a group of 4, so we ended up using a taxi, but I understand the buses are quite good.

The place isn't fancy, but have everything you need and the breakfast was plentiful (and included!)
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:33 AM

The Line A metro shuts down at 9 PM. I'm just mentioning that in case any of your choices are contingent on using the Line A metro at night.

See here:
http://tinyurl.com/y4l7dq (this is a link to the SlowTrav site)

Have you looked into various convents? Several are very popular and well-located.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM

Hotel Panda has another hotel that is further out, near the Lepanto metro stop. This is on Line A, however, but there are buses that substitute.

http://www.pensioneparadise.com
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:49 AM

Hi roodboy,

I reccomend apartments over hotels, for sure! Much more personal and cosy. I stayed in Rome with Halldis, check them out: www.halldis.com/rome

Have fun!!

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM

Low-season rates at Hotel Julia or Domus Julia might fall within your 100 Euro limit. I found this location very convenient and my stay was pleasant. Read the reviews on TripAdvisor, though.

http://www.hoteljulia.it
http://www.domusjulia.it
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:00 AM

I don't know what the price would be at this hotel when you are going, but there are wonderful reviews of Hotel Gea di Vulcano on Trip Advisor. It may be more expensive, or it could be less than what you are looking at (it depends on the time of year). I have it bookmarked for next year for myself.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
MaureenB

I also recommend the Domus Julia/ Hotel Julia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -