Budapest Private Guide

Aug 21st, 2003, 11:57 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Budapest Private Guide

My first attempt several months ago was unsuccessful but I thought I'd try one more time even though our trip is only two weeks away.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good private guide in Budapest? I have tried to contact Eva Tokody several times (who many people here at Fodors have recommended) but I haven't received a response.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:34 AM
wj1
Original Poster

OK, last try and then I'll give up.

Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:56 AM
Rod

Although I do know people there, I don't know any private guides. In the absence of other responses, I'd recommend you contact Vista Travel's "incoming" department. Vista is a leading and responsible travel agency in Budapest. We used them while living there for trips within Hungary and for trips to other countries, always with good results. I'm sure they can arrange what you want.

I recall their web site as www.vista.hu, but if that doesn't work a quick search (on a search engine) will provide the address. The site does offer English, and will show a telephone number. Just remember the time difference, and note their hours may not include a full day on Saturday (though that may have changed. Given your time constraint, a call might be best.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:08 AM
MGB

We were in Budapest in 1999. We actually used one of the guidebooks and did walking tours on our own in both Pest and Buda (We were staying in Buda near the church). There were 4 of us and at least we could go at our own pace and pick what we wanted to see. Just a thought.
Aug 25th, 2003, 04:56 PM

Once you are in Budapest you will have everyone trying to get you to take their tours!!! I found the best way was arrive there, and find the best deals. IBUSZ is very good as well as Touriform. Also IBUSZ is great to rent a room or flat from. WAY cheaper than the Hotels! Don't try to book rooms from either of them at the train stations! Go down town and look for their offices. You will save yourself money! And also go to more than one office too. I have saved money doing that. This past mid-too late June the rates were 5,000-8,000 forints a nights, and 215 forints to the American dollar at that time it was dropping in value everyday!! Now I see it is going up some. I just talked my aunt there and she said it 230 to the $ now. Oanda and other currency sites are off about 5 forints all the time I noticed too. I wish I was going back!! I just returned home from six weeks there. I've been to Hungary every year since 1999. I am already starting to plan my trip back there for 2004. Have fun!! I am glad I have family and friends in Hungary. I'd much rather give them my money! MAKE friends while you are there.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:12 PM

If you don't find a personal guide do this. Upon arrival in Budapest you will in all probability be staying at a hotel in or near the city center. Go to Varosmarty Square which is the main square in the center city. On the Danube side of the square you will find a city tourist information office. You can get all the free pamphlets you could possible need and you will be able to learn very quickly what the interesting place are to visit. You will be able to get a map of the city that shows all the great spots to visit. Other pamplets will tell you about day trips you can take. I spent a week in Budapest in May by myself, first time there and I had a great time without any guide. There were not enough hours in the days to see and do all the things available that interested me. The city has a great little subway system that is very easy to maneuver as it only has three lines and you can get a three day pass for only $7.50. I had a great time and Budapest is now a city I plan to return to again and again. July 2004 is my next trip there.

Have a great time and don't sweat the guide thing.

Larry J
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:25 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We'll probably go ahead and use some of the walking tours we'll be bringing with us or just seeing the sites we want to see. It's always worked fine before and I'm sure Budapest will be no different. Thank you all for the replies.