Search

Budapest - First visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest - First visit

Hello

We will be in Budapest for 5 days between Christmas and New Year. We need your advice on which area to stay, what to do to maximize our experience. We would like to stay close to public transportation, restaurants and sightseeing.

Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Either part of town (Buda or Pest) has its own charm. We stayed in Central Pest and we were able to walk almost everywhere
Budapest is a city of great beauty and very interesting history.
Consider 2 different half day tours and by all means take a thousand pictures of the House of Parliament from the Chain Bridge.
The food is very rich and their sparkling wine "Hungaria" is one my favorites.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Lucky You!

I was there about ten years ago and it became one of my favorite cities. I made the wise decision to go to the Hotel Gelbert (or Gellert) and sign up for the baths/massage - it was so inexpensive and fun. The baths are a big part of their lifestyle and I enjoyed it. There was also a park with public baths but I am not sure they'd be open that time of year. I also loved walking the pedestrian area, went to an organ/trumpet recital (I was in my early 20's) and loved it! The food is great too. I stayed in a hostel so I won't pass along any housing recommends. Have fun.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM

We liked this place:

http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...az=1&aaz=0
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM

We stayed at the Marriott (booked thru Priceline) and found the location excellent. We walked and used public transportation. I recommend going on a city tour as soon as you arrive and then spending more time at areas that interested you.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM

We stayed at hotel Victoria - nice, large rooms, very good breakfast and the best view of Parliament and st Charles bridge. It was not expensive for what it offers; I think it was 100 Euro / night.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM

I'd recommend central Pest for easiest access to public transportation, as Buda is hillier and therefore relies less on subways and trams. And the hilly roads could potentially be problematic if there were ice or snow. Budapest is very walkable, as mentioned upthread.

I stayed in a really lovely apartment overlooking a small park this spring. Check out: http://budapestvacationrentals.com/ These apartments are owned by an American couple with family ties to Hungary. The owners and local management are exceptionally pleasant and easy to deal with.

This would be a great time to attend a performance of opera or ballet. Tickets are very reasonable, and you can easily obtain them on-line in advance (important, as they sell out). I saw Tosca and it was terrific. Here's the English version of the ticket portal: http://www.jegymester.hu/index.jsp?lang=ENG