Budapest Environs

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 04:38 AM
steve

Budapest Environs

Can anybody recommend a beautiful, easily accessible place off the beaten path which is within an hour of Budapest?

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 02:31 PM
MED

I went to a little town called St. Andrews I don't know what the Hungarian name is. It is a very nice little town on the Danube bend and there is a terrific little museum which was the home of Margit Kovacs (sp?) that is full of her sculptures which she turned over to the state upon her death. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed her art. Its very original and beautiful.
On the way back we stopped to check out some castle ruins and admire the beauty of the Danube. In case I've got the name wrong I would go to a TI in Budapest and ask which town the Margit Kovacs museum is in.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 03:14 PM
s.fowler

It's Szentendre and it's a 45 minute easy ride on the HEV rail line which you catch at the Red Line Metro stop of Bathyanyi Ter.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 05:46 PM
topper

???

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Joe

Szentendre is great (as are Visegrad and Esztergom), but why not go by boat up the Danube?