Search

Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest

Hello,

I am currently panning a trip to Prague and Vienna. I will be in Prague for 5 days for work but will not be able to tour the city due to the hours of the meetings. So my question is how many additional days/night should I stay in Prague to enjoy it to the fulliest? After that I am going ot head to Vienna, how many days will the city take?

Should I replace my days in Vienna with Budapest?

FYI- I'm a young active adult who will have the energy to tour non-stop everyday!

Thanks,
B
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM

You tagged it with Slovakia. It's in Hungary.

More is always better, but realistically, if you keep on the move, you can see the essence, and quite a bit more, of both Prague and Vienna in three full days for each. Budapest in two.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I've been to all three cities, and I guess it just depends on what you want to do. Budapest is really cool, and with them not being on the €, it's actually really affordable. We rented a great apartment there (four girls) and it was less than $100 each for two or three days. It's a very old city, and it has the baths, of course, but Vienna was really cool too. I was there last New Year's, and we had a lot of fun, despite not being able to see as much as we would have liked because most things were closed for the holiday.

I would do some more research and try to figure out which city interests you more. Vienna just a little bit closer to Prague than Budapest is, but you might consider flights instead of trains. We flew Condor (which I believe is a subsidiary of Lufthansa) from Munich to Budapest and it was like €25 one-way all-in.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any specific questions. Btw, we stayed in a monastery in Vienna, which was totally atypical and really cool. Right in the center of everything behind St. Stephan's Cathedral.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you young folks really ARE different than in the previous millenium, when I was young.

Budapest looked to me like a great place to be young and single; Vienna seemed more .....mature.

That's from a non-scenery, non-history perspective.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM

I'd agree with tomboy (and from a similar perspective): Budapest has a buzz that makes me wish I was younger.

Vienna offers more in terms of high culture, especially fine arts.

I disagree with DalaiLlama that you can "see the essence" of Budapest in two days.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
kja

Hi, bwasek -

It depends on what you want to see and do, but I'd say each of these cities (Prague, Vienna, and Budapest) deserve about 3 days, more if you enjoy museums. (And if you do enjoy museums, you might consider more like 5 days in Vienna - it has some outstanding art!) The suggestion to do some research to determine which city most interests you is a good one.

Hope that helps!