Buckingham Palace tour in August

May 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Buckingham Palace tour in August

Has anyone done an inside tour?? Is it worthwhile? I believe they sell advance tickets for Aug. tours. We are spending a couple of days there, and looking for something we haven't done on previous trips.
May 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM

We took this tour in the summer of 2000, and thought it was great!

I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I think that there is more on the tour now than there was then.
May 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM

My daughter and I went last summer and we enjoyed it. They had a special exhibition on the Queen's wedding with all kinds of artifacts (dresses of the Queen, her wedding party, some wedding gifts, lots of photos blown up, etc.), as well as the other rooms. I decided I could live there. Of course, I'd like to have a couple of "easy chairs" with an ottoman. All of the furniture was just SO formal. LOL

We bought the combo ticket that included the Queen's Gallery and the Mews. We were short on time and skipped the Mews. I thought it was worth the money to spend our morning that way. The best tip I got was that the changing of the guard was overrated and that if you went on this tour during that that, it would be a shorter wait. That advice was spot on, so when I reserved my time, I reserved it that way. They sent me through the Queen's Gallery on a timed ticket and then I could go through the palace at any point during the day. Pick an early time is my advice. We were on the first of the tour when the changing of the guard started and we could "sort of" see it through an archway to the front of the palace, but not really.
May 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Since you've been to London before - I'd definitely recommend it. W/ only 2 days it does take a fair investment of time. So for a 1st timer, maybe not the best thing, but for others it is wonderful.
May 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM

hi lindam,

DD and i went when it first opened about 10 years ago - she's 20 now!

we still talk about the overwhelming amount of gold, and how it's not surprising that the royal kids all grew up rather strange.

so I'd definitely recommend going.

regard,s ann
May 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
NE

Hi lindam

My seventeen year old daughter and I did the tour this past summer and it was the highlight of her 5 days in London. I would say it was totally worth it! I loved walking through the gardens too!

Do it if you have a chance!
May 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Buckingham Palace as a building is not the most elaborate royal palace in the land, but it does have the cachet of being the official residence of an actual monarch. I compare it with touring the White House in Washington--although the current resident may not add much to the "cachet." And Buckingham Palace IS a palace; Americans don't do palaces, at least public ones.

Bottom line: go.

May 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM

We did the tour last August. Our group of 8 adults all felt it was worth it to see various parts of the palace...wedding gallery area my personal favorite. We had early morning reservations made before we left the states..saved time. Let out just before changing of the guards which most in our group enjoyed and felt worth watching, although VERY crowded...could pass on it next time as once for that is enough.
May 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Yup as once not plussed generally by palaces Buckingham's insides are stunning - quite the opposite of what i think of its, to me ugly, exterior (as palaces go)

and i loved the Royal Mews as well - the working horse stables with the royal carriages, etc. (separate admission, open all year)

Search this Thread