Bucket list trip - Balkans, Greece, Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2018, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am taking early retirement next summer (2019) and I have had this dream trip in mind for years. I will be 56 and I am an active, experienced, single male traveler. My thought is 3 - 4 months beginning in July 2019.

Here are the areas and the general direction of travel I was thinking. What I am really looking for is recommendations on additions to the itinerary, not-to-miss sites, dining, lodging etc. I'm also curious about modes of transportation - train, bus, boat, rental car are all acceptable to me. (I would love to book a goolet for a short trip in Croatia or Turkey) I'd prefer not to fly unless it really makes sense. (I have friends that live in the Belgrade area of Serbia that I haven't even figured - so maybe fly from Dubrovnik to Belgrade). As you can see it is all very rough.

Trieste - Slovenia (Ljubljana; Lake Bled) - Croatia (Zagreb - Plitvice Lakes - Zadar - Split - Dubrovnik) - Montenegro (Kotor - Budva) - Albania (Tirana - Berat - Vlore - Sarande) - Greece (Corfu - Kalambaka/Meteora - Athens - Peloponnese - Greek Islands) - Turkey (Turkish Aegean coast - Kuşadası/Ephesus - Istanbul - Thessaloniki

Fly into Rome or Vienna and out of Athens from Boston.

Thanks Fodorites - I have a year to plan the perfect itinerary --- and then change it the first day!

acktom
Old May 3rd, 2018, 05:28 PM

We were in Bulgaria before taking a cruise up the Danube. You can find the trip report by clicking on my name and then on "Find Trip Reports". The same goes for the report on our trip to Turkey--our four days in Istanbul is included in the Danube cruise trip report. One reason we did not rent a car in Bulgaria is that we did not want to deal with the potential problem of signage in Cyrillic.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:09 PM

Bosnia & Herzegovina? Had almost 2 weeks in Mostar and Sarajevo last October. Beautiful country with a very sad, evident, and vivid recent history.

Macedonia? Am currently sat by gorgeous Lake Ohrid, and on our way to Bitola in an hour. Started off in Skopje, and fly out from there on Wednesday. Beautiful country, and great vfm.
​​​