Bruxelles Midi....now what??

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruxelles Midi....now what??

Hi everyone, I recently posted a question asking about the cost of the train ticket from Paris to Brussels...but now i have another question....LOL
On another message board, someone mentioned that once I arrive in Bruxelles Midi, i would have to take the train to Centraal in order to see the Grand Place. I am not familiar with the city at all, so if anyone has any tips on the best way to get around and see the sites please feel free to share em!! Thanks again in advance!
Layla
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM

That's right. The Thalys train runs Paris Nord to Bruxelles Midi (Brussel Zuid). In Bruxelles Midi you take a train that tops in Centraal (almost any train will stop there). It's only one stop and the Grand Place is a 5 min. walk from Brussel Centraal train station.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM
ira

Hi A,

You will find a good map of Brussels at www.mappy.com.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:33 AM

myriam, not all trains stop in Centraal, depends what direction the train is going maybe it comes from Centraal
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Although the Centrale/Centraal route is the quickest, it's not very scenic (goes past some pretty depressing buildings). If you have a little time, a nicer way to go is take the Metro, direction Simonis (look for the big M signs directing you to the metro, it's on the levels below the train station) up 3 stops to Louise. Get off at Louise walk around the Ave a bit to windowshop, perhaps head up to the Conrad Hotel (something is usually doing there...you can tell the "importance" of the meeting taking place by the weapons the guards have...from walkie-talkies and ordinary sidearms to some very serious pieces of firepower). From either the Place Stephanie or the Place Louise, take the 92,93, or 94 trams back down the Avenue Louise, around past the Palais de Justice and to the Sablon stop. Get off there, spend a few moments in the pretty Sablon park, walk through the Sablon square (window shop, stop for a drink at one of the cafes, browse the antique market if it's running), turn right onto the largest street at the "bottom" of the square (you turn at the cafe with the big Leffe sign) and head down that street (rue l'Hopital, I believe). Stay on the left hand side of the street. You'll pass some art and antique galleries, including one that only carries beautiful Antwerp chests (starting prices around 15000 euro); you'll also pass DeGeest, one of the finest dry cleaners in Europe (really) and then a store carrying Laguiole and other high quality knives, shaving kits, etc. Either turn off to the right there at the little streets that lead to the GP or continue down the main street til the traffic light at rue l'Etuve. Turn left on rue l'Etuve, go a block and you'll see the Mannekin pis (be prepared to be VERY underwhelmed) or turn right and head straight to the GP. For luck, rub the brass plaque on your right just before you enter the square. And there you are!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys....that helps me a lot!! I hope I will manage LOL...if anything I will look for a local or train station employee and "bother" them with my questions!! haha! Thanks again!