Brussels to Zurich

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Woo

Brussels to Zurich

I am thinking of taking a train from Brussels to Zurich. Any thoughts?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:26 PM
woowoowoo!

Have a nice trip!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Ben Haines

The basic second class one way fare is 105 euros, and you add two euros for a seat on an EuroCity train. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook Europoean Timetable. Table 40 shows that you can leave Brussels Midi station at 1215 and 2219 and reach Zurich at 2000 and 0700. The day train has a restaurant car and you pay a two euro supplement. The night train has a buffet car and crowded 6 berth couchettes, for a 15 euro supplement. You can also leave Brussels Midi at 0701 by restaurant car train, change at Basel 1341 to 1407, and reach Zurich at 1458.

There is little point in booking first class, at 158 euros. The scenery is good from Namur through the Ardennes to the Belgian frontier, and an hour before you reach Strasbourg. To have a longer night in your couchette you can pay an extra fare for a day return ticket Zurich, Ziegelbrucke, Zurich, and travel Brussels Midi 2219, Ziegelbrucke 0758 to 0802, breakfast in the buffet car, Zurich 0850. The scenery as you breakfast is good: you run along two great lakes.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:33 AM
BTilke

The train ride is pretty boring once you leave the Ardennes. If I can suggest an alternative, take the 7:01 (am) train from Brussels Midi to Basel, arriving about 1:30 pm. Check your luggage (about 7 Swiss francs) or put it in a locker (about 4 to 7 Swiss francs, depending on the size) and spend a couple of hours exploring this delightful but under-rated city. Then catch a train from Basel to Zurich (they run fairly frequently). It will break up your trip in a pleasant way.
I do recommend first class if it won't stretch your budget. I have made the trip from Brussels to Basel several times and found first class to be more comfortable and more relaxing, especially if you happen to be traveling around a holiday or school vacation (when second class can be VERY crowded and noisy!).
BTilke (Brussels)

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:42 AM
Ben Haines

I like BTilke s points, and the idea of a break in Basel. As to class, one way round might be to buy at second classs, but find the conductor and pay a supplement for first if you have hit a schoolchildren day. Certainly, if you find you are travelling on a public holiday after 15 December and before 10 January in any of Belgium, France and Switzerland you should book first class.

Ben Haines

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:42 AM
Woo

I am travelling on a pretty tight schedule and will probly not hv time to stop by any other places en route. Thks for all your suggestions any way.

One question. For the overnight train, do I need to reserve or can I buy the ticket one day before departure at the train station?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Ben Haines

For a seat on the night train a booking the day before is fine. But I do think the 15 euros for a couchette is worth it, even on a budget, and you can book that the day before, except mid December to mid January, which needs a week or 10 days before.