Brunello di Montalcino............

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brunello di Montalcino............

Does anyone have an experience with the wine tours/dinners/tastings at any of the Brunello estates in Tuscany? They are featured in the Wine Spectator this month (hope I can say that). I have reserved for Castello Banfi, Ristorante di Poggio Antico, and Taverna dei Barbi. Any I should consider? Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM

You have the 3 I would have said---hard to beat. We have done Banfi and Poggio Antico, but only for pranzo.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM

One word: DIVINE!!

My friend had to drag me out of Montalcino!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM

You're going to the two notable wineries for tasting along with a meal and Poggio Antico is a top end restaurant with accompanying wines. The article in Wine Spectator details a number of other places to contact for a visit. If you have or can develop specific wine interests, it is fun to follow the trail to the source--those out of the way wineries but your call on whether its worth the effort and time.
Don't miss a visit to the Fortezza and their extensive cellar of brunellos and that probably goes for Osticcio in town as well. Tasting in this area, especially in town, is generally not free. You can get a flight of what they have open and work from there, but you do pay for it.
How much time will you have in the area? Have you tried a search of this forum?
I'm headed back to Montalcino in September and am already planning my visit and logistics of getting some hard to get stuff back. Cin Cin!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM

We are going to Barbi in Sept. They do a tour and dinner at the Taverna for 40 euros for 8+ people...check it out on their website...called an Evening at Barbi.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
RJD

The wine that woke me up to the splendors of Brunello was a Poggio Antico, 1985. We had the wine lunch at Castello Banfi in 2005. With one exception all the tables were filled with American or British tourists. But it was great anyway.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I think this part of my trip is the most anticipated. I hope driving from Poggio Antico to Montepulciano at night will not be too difficult. We will have the whole day prior to a 6PM tour and dinner and will come back next day for lunch at Castello Banfi and whatever I add before and after for both days. I have read about packing those wine bottles in luggage and know I will get weak and pay to ship even more. I'll be there after some of you, going in early October.