Bruges hotel

May 10th, 2001, 04:45 PM
L. Rathbone

Bruges hotel

I plan a trip to Europe this fall, starting in Paris and then going to Bruges, Belgium for a few days. Do you have a reasonably priced hotel in Bruges? And do you know if I can take the train or a bus from Paris to Bruges, and from there to Caen, France.
Thanks.
(Ms) Lee Rathbone

May 10th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Betsy

Hi,
As far as hotels in Brugge it will be easy to find one, but what does reasonably priced for you mean? I stay at the Ter Dunien (I can never spell that right by the way), and its about 130 a night w/air conditioning. But some people find that too far fromt he center. Frankly in the Fall, I wouldn't make reservations, I'd arrive and see what looks good.

As far as the train goes, I'd take a Thalys to Brussels then transfer to Brugge which is an hour from Brussels. You have to go through Brussels the slow way can take 4 hours, the Thalys 90 minutes. They leave hourly as to trains for Brugge. You must have reservations for the TGV. The Thalys is the high speed train for Belgium. You'll leave out of Gare de Nord in Paris and want to go to Brussels Midi. Belgium signs in Flemish and French and this can be confusing making you think you're in the wrong place when in fact you're not. I'm sure someone on the board actually has a time table to share. You can also acess the Thalys website.

May 10th, 2001, 05:19 PM
km

We stayed in this hotel about 4 years ago. It's on one of the canals, nice breakfast, centrally located, and has an elevator. (Hotel Bourgoensch) I'm not sure how much it costs. We were able to find hotels on the internet when we were in Europe before. Even booked from the U.S. As far as trains are concerned, you can travel by train from Paris to Brugge. Check out your Euro-Rail passes. You can also see the rail schedule in the internet also.

May 10th, 2001, 05:50 PM
wes fowler

Lee,
Betsy mentions Ter Duinen, an absolutely lovely hotel in which a truly sumptuous breakfast is offered each morning (included in the room rate). Rooms have been modernized, they and bathrooms are immaculate. You can view the hotel at
www.terduinenhotel.be

If the price is too steep, check the following website for other Bruges accommodations:
www.hotels-belgium.com/brugge/hotels.htm

May 10th, 2001, 05:54 PM
wes fowler

Lee,
Should have mentioned, if you're interested in some reasonably priced restaurants in Bruges, drop me an Email and I'll provide some names and addresses.

May 10th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Betsy

Lee

We stayed at the Ter Duinen last summer after we read Wes' posts about it. I wanted to become a permanent resident just because of their wonderful breakfast in a beautiful breakfast room. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat, even though it is about a 15 min. walk into the center of the city--good for walking off some of those breakfast calories.

May 10th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Deena

We stayed at the Oud Haus Amsterdam in Brugge. It was a lovely hotel right on the canal. It is about a five minute walk to the main square and belltower. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the breakfast was quite good. The staff was very friendly and helpful.