Search

Bruges, Antwerp and Amsterdam - 7 days in August -Help with Train and bases

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruges, Antwerp and Amsterdam - 7 days in August -Help with Train and bases

Hi All,
After a very late and badly planned trip to UK , we will be in Paris and planning to go to Bruges, Antwrep and Amsterdam. Hope to do this a bit better

We are a family of 3 adults and 2 kids aged 14 and 8. We plan to leave Paris by 14:30 by Train, as suggested by "PalenQ", TGV to Lilly and then to Burges
We will have full 6 days + Day of arrival and departure. We will split it as 3 days in Belgium and 4 days in Amsterdam.

Though I have made cancellable bookings at Bruges and Amsterdam. Would like some suggestions on Good B&B and/or apartments (late but will check if available) or locations, We are yet to take out the train tickets.

Current plan is
• August 8 Train from Paris to Bruges
Will follow "PalenQ" suggestion to train to Lille Flandres station by TGV from Paris-Gare du Nord and get a local train to Bruges
Spend 2 nights in Bruges ( 1 day and 2 nights)

On 10th morning Train to Antwerp and stay for a night

Or rather stay at Antwerp for 3 days and do day trip to Burges and Ghent

On 11th train to Amsterdam and stay till 15th august and catch 3PM flight to home (that is 4 nights)

Appreciate your suggestions and advise

Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Will follow "PalenQ" suggestion to train to Lille Flandres station by TGV from Paris-Gare du Nord and get a local train to Bruges>

That was one option but you may find the Thalys Paris to Brussels then the ABS fare for a few extra euros lets you hop any train to Bruges within 24 hours - if get cheap Thalys fare could be cheaper- if not other way via Lille Flandres could be cheaper - again check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts for lots on trains and booking fares.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ Thanks
ON https://en.oui.sncf/en

PARIS BRUSSELS 5 passengers Price:€155.00$180.87*** TGV site is 32EUR cheaper

But on Thalys
Paris Nord - Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid € 187,00

Paris to Lilile
14h44 GARE DU NORD (PARIS) 15h48 LILLE FLANDRES (FR) by TGV only 75 USD first class for all 5 PAX

Paris to Lilile is definitely cheaper, How do we get to Bruges from Lille , Online search shows trains via Brussels only
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 01:02 PM

I know some people love Antwerp. Just a contrary opinion: I didn't. I spent two nights in Bruges (which I LOVED), then two nights in Antwerp, which was a bit dull and unexciting to me. There are some interesting museums, but it really lacks the easy charm of Bruges. On top of that, Bruges is crazy touristy during the day - must be nuts in August. But at night it's much calmer. I'm guessing you'll hate Bruges if you do only a day trip. I'd recommend a day trip to Ghent from Bruges instead then the final night in Antwerp. (Or, stop on the way from Bruges to Antwerp in Ghent, where your train will pass through anyway, leave your bags at the station, and spend the day in Ghent.)

But will you be one of those who will love Antwerp? Who knows? Best to weigh different opinions, though.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Lille Flandres has frequent trains to Bruges not via Brussels and but with a simple change of trains at Kortrijk- but is may cost 32 euros or more but first class to Lille is worth something.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew. We liked the Cesky Krumlov in CZ very much and it was was worth staying there over night. Hoping that the Bruges will be a similar experience. I dont have much idea about Antwerp other than what i read in these forums.

Thanks PalenQ , I am assuming that the tickets to trains via Kortrijk can be bought at the Lille station. I guess the cost wise Paris- Brussels-Bruges will be similar to Paris-Lille-Kortrijk-Bruges.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Everyone has different impressions of places. I love Antwerp and can't stand Bruges (though I share Andrew's opinions about the French Riviera and Provence). You won't know until you get there.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 03:06 PM

I am assuming that the tickets to trains via Kortrijk can be bought at the Lille station.>

Sure - and those I think are pretty much flat fare fairly chep tickets and there are no possible seat reservations so can always get on - if cost the same I'd hop Thalys as only one change - in Brussels and again check on that ABS fare add-on - could throw bags in station lockers at Brussels and spend a few hours or up to 24 hours there and hop any train to Bruges - no need to buy any ticket.

If take Thalys to Antwerp then within 24 hours you could go with ABS fare one-way to Bruges or Gent - all very complicated but not. But book any discounted ticket ASAP - like now or see those fares probably increase.

Last edited by PalenQ; Jun 16th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

From Thalys website
Note: The ABS fare cannot be combined with the following fares: Weekend Offer, Adult/Young/Kid group, Passengers in wheelchairs, Companion and Pass.

I am guessing that the fare for our group would be always "Adult/Young/Kid group" thus wont get the benefit of the ABS fare
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:20 PM

Hi vjose, I live in Antwerp. It's totally different from Brugge. My kids would say Brugge is totally booooring, but yours are a bit younger, and might be more charmed by Brugge. I agree with staying overnight in Brugge, to enjoy it while the crowds are gone. If you only have 3 nights, I would spend them all in Brugge, with a day trip to Gent. Or, alternatively if it turns out to be very warm, take a daytrip to the coast.
Now I know people are going to say the coast is ugly, lots of high rise flats - which is true in part. But it's also where the Belgians spend their summer.
If you take a train to Knokke, rent bicycles, you could cycle to the Zwin nature reserve, take some of the back roads and have a lovely lunch, or rent go-carts on the boulevard. Just an idea in case a heatwave hits.

Then, when you go to Amsterdam, go in the morning and leave your luggage in a locker at Antwerp train station.
Walk to the old town: Groenplaats, Markt, don't miss the Hendrik Conscience plein and the Carolus Borromeus church. Have lunch, maybe here
www.ras.be
and go on to Amsterdam in the late afternoon.

Saves you moving hotels for 1 night (which I always try to avoid).
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tulips. Very good Suggestions. Will Keep aside 4-5 hours for Antwerp.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 04:23 PM

Now I know people are going to say the coast is ugly, lots of high rise flats - which is true in part. But it's also where the Belgians spend their summer.>

when I led bike trips long ago cycling along the coast was great - swank towns like Knokke-Heist and Ostende and Blakkenberge are all neat seaside towns with nice beaches and restaurants, etc. Ugly? Not in the eye of this beholder. If not biking take the interurban tram - said to be one of the last vestiges of Belgium's once extensive Vicinal inter-urbans that criss-crossed the country - all the way to the French border - get off at beaches or nice towns. Yes this is a touristy area but at least it's mainly Belgian or Dutch tourists.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Finally booked the Thalys tickets. Initially , not able to locate the ABS fare on the website. It was hidden under "Deals & Fares" then Mini Group.

Use the ABS fare ? to reach your Thalys station

50 EUR each for PAris Nord to Brussels with ABS fare. Not bad at all only 7 EUR more

Thanks PalenQ for this little gem.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 06:01 AM

and again with that ABS fare you can take any train onto any Belgian Station for up to 24 hrs after arrivial in Thalys - need no ticket just hop on.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 10:23 AM

And, when you buy a Thalys ticket Antwerp-Amsterdam then within 24 hours of that train you can take any train to Antwerp.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 12:28 PM

Or, in Antwerp buy or ogle some diamonds straight from the 'factory' - some right opposite Central Station - https://www.visitantwerpen.be/en/walks/diamond-district - would be low on my list for a brief visit but some may be interested.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Please suggest/advise us on below

On 8th August
Afternoon On Thalys Paris- Brussels
Would like to go around fro 2-3 hours - Please suggest

Catch the Local train to Bruges
Stay for 2 nights , will do a day trip to Ghent

On 10th August,
Catch a Morning Train to Antwerp
As Tulips suggested, Leave the luggage in a locker at Antwerp train station.
Walk to the old town: Groenplaats, Markt, don't miss the Hendrik Conscience plein and the Carolus Borromeus church. Have lunch

Catch the afternoon Thalys to Rotterdam
Stay for a night
Please suggest the places to go and explore

On 11th August,
Travel to Delft, the Hague and visit Madurodam

Should we stay at the Utrecht or proceed to Amsterdam as originally planned.
Where ever we would stay for 4 nights till we fly out on 15th afternoon.

We wanted to visit Maastricht but look like too far
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 11:19 PM

You will be arriving in Rotterdam late afternoon/early evening on the 10th - and the the 11th you go to Delft and The Hague?
Why stay in Rotterdam then? Hope Menachem sees this, he is a regular poster who lives in Rotterdam. Or search for his posts on tips about Rotterdam.
I would just go on to Amsterdam, stay there for 5 nights and visit either Rotterdam, Utrecht or Den Haag from there. Especially traveling with a family, it saves you checking in/out and traveling with your luggage. It's all close and easily reached by train.

When in the Hague, visit the Panorama Mesdag.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 06:41 AM

Yeah 10th and 11th too hectic, especially for a family - heed tulips advice that less relocating hotels saves a lot of time and hassle.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 10:22 PM

Catch the afternoon Thalys to Rotterdam
Stay for a night
Please suggest the places to go and explore

I don't know where you're staying in Rotterdam, but a good place to go for dinner and an enjoyable evening is Witte de Withstraat. Restaurants: Dertien on Schiedamse Vest, a great place for beer and snacks, Rhijngoud, on the corner of Schiedamse Vest and Schilderstraat, the ever favorite Bazar on Witte de Withstraat. There: Sate Bar (Indonesian food, casual place), Witte Aap (bar/cafe), a number of very good burger places (Ter Marsch, prize winning food).

BTW. Agree with Tulips that you might as well go on to Amsterdam and do Rotterdam and Delft as day trips, saving you the hassle of yet another check in/check out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -