Brittany anyone?

Search

Brittany anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brittany anyone?

Hello - first time poster here. From reading several threads this seems to be a wealth of info!
We are planning to travel from London to Brittany (late September 2003) via the Dover-Calais ferry. We've never been to Brittany but hear it is lovely. We want to spend a few days by the sea and see Mont Saint Michele.
A few questions...
1. We've tentitively chosen Perros-Guirec as our destination, mostly from photos/info on the Web. Thinking of Le Manoir Du Sphinx hotel. Has anyone been to this seaside town? Any other suggestions?
2. What is the best way to get there from Calais? Rent a car? Train?
3. We plan to head to Paris from Brittany . What is the best way to travel from Brittany to Paris?
Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you can give.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:36 PM

Who can help Ab and Diane?
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:18 PM
ron

We spent a week near Perros-Guirec last year, renting a house in Tregastel. Beautiful coastline, lovely area. I can't be much help beyond that. We flew into Paris and rented a car from there. I can't imagine visiting this area without a car, especially if you want to see Mont St. Michel.

If you are going to take the ferry, wouldn't it make more sense to go from Portsmouth to St-Malo; otherwise you have a long drive all the way across Normandy?

To get to Paris, I guess you could either drive or take the train or fly from Lannion, which is only about 10 km from Perros-Guirec.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:54 PM

ABANDDIANE
We've stayed at Le Manoir Du Sphinx Hotel....it was very nice.!
We had a very nice room with 180 degree sea views!! We were at the end of a very long trip...so this was a very relaxing place to end our adventure.
We drove...but our approach wasn't from Paris.
I'd rent a car so that you can explore the entire area.
Also...you need to let the hotel know in advance that you don't want the half-board every evening....there are terrific restaurants in the area that you will want to try!!

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:52 PM
rex

For a driving trip like this (or anywhere in Europe), I would recommend becoming familiar with either www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com or both.

And I'll say again (I have posted this before) that on our trip to Paimpol, MSM and other points in Normandy, we NEVER made as good time as either of these websites indicated that we might.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 11:42 PM
chas

I agree with Ron.
Why go via Dover/Calais when you can sail to St Malo from Portsmouth.
Check out Brittany Ferries site at
www.brittanyferries.co.uk

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 11:43 PM

South west of Morlaix are the enclos which should be seen. But you need a car for that. The suggestion to take the ferry directly to Brittany is a good one. Rent the car for touring the area but perhaps go by train to Paris. The Mont St. Michel could be visited on your way to Paris, but you would not get to Paris the day of the visit.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:48 AM

Book a cabin on Brittany Ferries' overnight ship from Portsmouth which is about as near to London as Dover is. Have an excellent French dinner in the restaurant. The ship arrives in St-Malo at 0800 and the old town is a short walk from the ferry terminal. There is a bus service from St-Malo to Mont St-Michel - the bus drops you by the entrance to the mount, nearer than the car parks. To Paris, there are TGVs from Brest via Morlaix, St-Brieuc and Rennes. Branch lines and buses serve the smaller places. From Perros Guirec, it's about five hours to Paris; from St-Malo, it's about three hours.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:23 AM

Totally agree with the ferry thoughts.
Its some drive from Calais to Brittany.
go direct from portsmouth.

Muck
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM

If you decide to go via Calais, my Ghent, Normandy Brittany trip report might give you some ideas of what to see and where to stay.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.

Our reasoning behind going from Dover to Calais was to see the "White Cliffs" and we also thought the journey from Calais to Brittany would be scenic. Sounds like it would be a long trip and not worth the time.

The Portsmouth to St. Malo Ferry sounds like a better idea now - especially the overnight trip!

Also, Michael you mentioned renting a car for touring and going by train to Paris. Are cars available at the port in St. Malo? Would this be where we would return the car and get a train?

OR - if we decide to drive to Paris, where would we drop off the car?

Sorry to sound naive - but we are!

Thanks again for all your help,
Ab and Diane

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:15 PM

Google St. Malo car rental and you will discover that there are many agnecies renting in St. Malo. I could not say more since I drove from Calais.