Brits: Celebrating the 4th of July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do Brits think of the 4th of July? Do they wish all us Yanks were still royal subjects and dominating their elections? There would be no Tony Blair - he's like a Communist in our political terms - nationalized health care, even as problematic as it seems in UK, wouldn't fly here - ask Hillary Clinton about that. I supposed the Queen would have the White House, if the British hadn't burnt it of course, as one of her many residents. She'd feel at home here - no taxes to pay for the wealthy here!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM

We hope y'all enjoy yourselves on the 4th. You can have our Queen for free, and GW's crony too, but hands off our National Health Service.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM

The politicaly correct answer is that we wish you all the best and that we are happy that you feel the need to celebrate your independence from big bad Britain.
The truth is that probably 90% of Brits, when asked about Independence Day, would say that they enjoyed the film and that Will Smith is one of their favourite actors.
The real truth is that most of us, for right or wrong, will carry on working as normal without an opinion one way or the other.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

It's said here that W's mother, Barbara Bush has more English royal blood in her than does QEII and her German family! God Save the Queen (Barbara Bush!)
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM

What do I think of July 4th? It's Monday, and I shall have a lot of ironing to do.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM

business as usual here. few take notice. i think it's seen more as just america's birth celebration rather than anything that has anything to do with the british.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
ira

Hey Pal,

Time to take your meds.

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM

LOL Ira.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM

More on the mind of Londoners is that on July 4 the congestion charge will go up from £5 to £8!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM

4th of July?

From a Canucks perspective, you are three days late to the party.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Ira: If i were in the UK i'd probably be able to afford to take my meds!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
oldie

Canada and the USA would be one country.
It would almost certainly have become independent by the 20th century.
Think of all those resources.
The war of Independence was a great mistake.

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:34 AM

We think it's a nice excuse for you to party. We certainly don't have aspirations to have you as part of an empire.

Have a nice day y'all!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:42 AM

wow, are all of those "y'all"s subtle jabs at our country/ dialect? I bet my Brit cousins were disappointed to meet me and hear a distinct LACK of drawling in my speech.
Please don't confuse the south with America. I think a Southern accent is cute... for like 5 minutes. Then I turn Paula Deen off!!!
I like the Fourth, but my favorite 7/4 experience was when I was studying abroad in Russia. My host mom came to me after my classes and gave me a present- a jewelry box. I was truly confused, and then she told me it was to celebrate "my holiday". So cute!!!
Enjoy the fireworks everyone!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:26 AM

what do u mean - 'wish us yanks were royal subjects'
We were glad to get rid of you!! you've never understood cricket, rejected Gods own game (football) and consider baseball (rounders) an adult sport!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM

Cricket? Rugby? Soccer? Thank God for baseball! LOL

Have a good 4th of July weekend everyone!
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM

We have more things to do than concern ourselves with the anniversary of getting rid of all the useless colonies that've drained our taxes over the years.

Except of course for Hong Kong - the only colony that was ever any use for anything, except getting rid of our least productive citizens.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM

Gee, flanneruk, reading that post one would think you were referring to the US as one of those "useless colonies that've drained our taxes over the years". Nothing could be further from the truth in that. There is a major reason the British didn't want to let go of America -- it was bringing them untold wealth. You might remember also that it was the major taxation issue (benefitting England) that started the whole American revolution.

Although admittedly you're right about it being one of the places England got rid of some of its least productive citizens.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:00 PM

Well, we'll be with friends helping them celebrate the 4th of July, although we didn't bother with the firework show at the local high school this year.

but then I live in MA now and I do feel it's best to go along and be the object of the 4th of July jokes against the Brits - all done in the best humour and taken in the same spirit
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

FlannerUK: come on you gotta be pulling our legs - the only colony that was ever of any use - Hong Kong? Wasn't the wealth of the British Empire fueled by raping its far-flung and many colonies of their natural resources and crops? Why did the Brits ever give up voluntarily a colony until it became PC after WWII? If they were a drain they surely would have. The British Empire wasn't so strong only because of England - England became strong only by exploiting their colonial lands. I really can't believe that you believe what you say! Best regards - your comments in this forum always compel my interest, whether i agree with them (rarely) or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -