Search

British Isles

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 1997, 03:32 PM
Helen

British Isles

Renting a car with friends in summer, about 3 weeks.
Bath, Cotswolds, Ironbridge,Betws-y-Coed,Keswick,
Edinburgh,Granton-onSpey,Skye,Glencoe, Dunoon,Durham
York. Suggestions for itinerary, B&B's, restuarants,
Not to miss places, would be much appreciated.Going
from England to Wales to Scotland back to England.

Old May 13th, 1997, 07:15 PM
Nate

Grandmother and granddaughter are spending 4 days in London at the end of June. Suggestions on hotels located near theaters, shopping, as well as itinerary would be most appreciated.

Old May 13th, 1997, 07:16 PM
Nate

Grandmother and granddaughter are spending 4 days in London at the end of June. Suggestions on hotels located near theaters, shopping, as well as itinerary would be most appreciated.

Old May 21st, 1997, 07:20 AM
David

Helen, I can only help you out with the Wales portion as I just got back from there. I would suggest an overnighter in LLandudno (suggest White Lodge Hotel), which is an old Victorian seaside resort. The Promenade and Pier are interesting plus it's very close to Conwy & Conwy Castle. From there it's straight down to Betws-Y-Coed (suggest Aberconwy B&B). Betws-Y-Coed is a particulary charming town (village) and has many beautful walks and hikes; in particular, the walk down to Swallow Falls---beautiful. From Betws-Y-Coed you're close to Llanberis and a ride on the Snowdon Mountain Railway. You might also want to take a ride over to Caernarfon Castle in the interesting town of Caernarfon. Huge castle with interesting museums. You'll love North Wales and may want to check out their Web site---it's extremely informative. While in the area, you don't want to miss out on the border town of Chester, England. Hope this helps---enjoy your trip!

Old May 23rd, 1997, 09:57 AM
Beth

Helen, I'm envious. My husband and I made a similar trip last year, best trip ever! Consider the Peak District instead of the Lake District. Peak is much less travelled (though I understand the allure of the Lake District). Castles, countryside, quaint villages, shops, hiking. We stayed at Hathersage at Carr Head Farm B&B -- overlooks the village from atop the moors. Get four-poster bedroom. Mary Bailey, owner, was charming. We did enjoy the Isle of Skye, but be prepared for a very austere experience. Excellent seascapes, hiking, but no quaint shops, pubs, B&Bs (though certainly very adequate and comfortable accomodations). Consider the Isle of Mull, many have recommended it to us. Incredible scenery as Skye, and also all the quaintness of the rest of Britain. Be sure to go to the Glencoe visitor's center and see the movie on the clan massacre. The drive over Rannock Moor is spectacular. On top of the world. We splurged a little and stayed at the Kildrummy Castle Hotel near Alford, Scotland (half way between Aberdeen and Granton-on-Spey and 2 1/2 hour drive from Edinburgh). Easily $150 per night, but incredible experience. The lounge overlooks the ruins of the castle and beautiful gardens. Dinner at the hotel is excellent (coat and tie preferred but "smart casual" OK). Excellent place to base for touring the castle district. A general word of advice, driving in Scotland is much more time consuming that you might imagine. 100 miles a day is a good trek (all those winding single track roads). Have a great trip! I'd love to hear about it when you return. We hope to go back next year, probably to the southern coast (Dorset, maybe?)

Old May 24th, 1997, 05:23 AM
Carol

Helen: When in the Cotswolds don't miss Burton-on-the Water (the day we were there we referred to it as Burton-under-the Water). It is a really lovely place, get there early before the tour busses get there. Also, the "Slaughters" are very lovely! If you are looking for a nice place to stay THE BEAR in Woodstock is lovely (somewhat pricey, but real old and accomodating). We have travelled through much of England by tour bus and car (I'm heading back myself for a short driving tour in a couple weeks). Have a great time!

Old May 24th, 1997, 11:54 PM
sgorces

In the Cotswolds, the Chadlington House Hotel (B&B) was quite nice. Tiny Chadlington village is just south of Chipping Norton. Chipping Campden has a first rate High Street with fine antique stores and some great thatched roof dwellings. The tour of Blenheim Palace was first rate even if you don't want to do palaces. The Wild Orchid Thai rest. in Banbury is excellent. Near Edinburgh, try the Minnebank Guest House in Peebles about 20 miles south of Ed. Less crowded and very pretty Borders town with easy straight in access to Ed. You might try taking in the Dee River from Brae Mar to Aberdeen then on to Inverness. This is not the route most people take north (thankfully) but you get rewarded by Balmoral Castle, Crathes Castle, and my favorite, Dunnotar Castle at Stonehaven. If you go this way, you must try Shabazz Indian rest. in Aberdeen. You will not regret it. Have a great trip!

Old May 25th, 1997, 09:01 AM
Elizabeth Ball

Message: Nate, Just returned from London and stayed at the Shaftesbury Hotel. The location was terrific. It is in the heart of theaterland - all theaters within walking distance/ It is also near a variety of restaurants all within walking distance - it is across the street from China town and less than a 10 minute walk from Convent Garden. It is an old hotel recently rennovated and the rooms were quite roomy and clean. This is a very simple hotel but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. But a warning- it is located on a major avenue which is quite noisy especially on Fridays and Saturdays Take earplugs and ask for rooms on the upper stories and preferably not facing Shaftesbury Avenue. We were four women alone and at no time did we feel unsafe. The address is 65-73 Shaftesbury Avenue, London W1V7AA; tel: 0171-434 4200, fax: 0171%3D437 1717.

Old May 25th, 1997, 11:59 AM
Diane

Dear Nate, I have been to London several times.
With older reatives and with my 2 teenage children,
I'm going again in June with my husband. My favorite Hotel is The Green Park. It is quaint and very British, 1/2 blook from a tube stop. I have syayed most often at the Cumberland at Marble
Arch. That is where i'm staying in June. It is at the Marble Arch tube stop. You will be very grateful for this after a long day of activities or on a rainy day.
The hotel is a large metropolitian hotel, the rooms are tastefully decorated, it has 3 reataurants. A cafe open late at night,a wonderful Carvery fixed price buffet,something for everyone. we all love it.
and a Japanese reataurant. I haven't eaten there.
They include breakfast with the room. Breakfast is devivered to your room at whatever time you specify. It is always more food than you can eat.
It is so nice to relax and eat before a busy day.
I have many suggestions on activities also some tips on saving money. Let me know how old your granddaughter is and how active you want to be and i'll write back.

Old May 27th, 1997, 09:01 AM
Gabi Richard

Elizabeth,

Could you give me some idea of the cost of the Shaftsbury Hotel, please?

thanx

Old May 27th, 1997, 09:03 AM
Gabi Richard

Hi,

Would you please give me some idea of the cost of the hotels you mentioned? (the Green Park and Cumberland)

thanx

Old May 28th, 1997, 02:19 PM
Elizabeth Henderson

Last June I painted in England for three weeks. Half in Sussex and half in Northumberland. This year I'm going in September and I prefer places I've never seen. I'll be travelling by myself and by public transport(train and bus). I love to paint villages but I don't want to be in a main tourist spot. All suggestions for locations and b&b's (especially moderately priced ones) are much appreciated.

Old May 28th, 1997, 07:01 PM
Traci

Nate: Headed back to England in July. Recommend 1/2 to 3/4 day at Tower of London - haunting, historic & houses the crown jewels, then balance of the day at Tower Bridge w/ multimedia presentation. One day we spent out of London - caught tube & rail to Windsor and toured castle at our leisure - -town of Windsor is charming & offers lots of quaint shops & pubs. Also, Lego (yes, the blocks) have finished construction on a theme park outside of Windsor called "Legoland" which features everything from miniature international cities constructed out of Lego's (Paris, New York, etc.) to interactive activities, to rides. Was not open when I was there in '94, but fees are reasonable, I think under 20 British pounds per person.
Could spend all four days shopping! But would definitely not miss Harrod's (especially food court), take a leisurely 1/2 mile walk across Hyde Park and catch a bus down Bayswater/Oxford St. to Selfridges. Also, if they will be there over a weekend, there are 3 neat markets to see: Covent Garden (near theater district), Camden (take Camden Town tube), and Portobello Road (Ladbroke tube). Also at Leicester Square, don't miss 1/2 price ticket booth (beware of impostors hawking tickets nearby - they are a ripoff) -- can get 1/2 price tickets the day of the show -- matinees are less $, but top shows like Les Mis & Phantom are usually sold out - may want to purchase in advance. Also, if doing alot of travel by tube/bus, purchase from travel agent a travel card good for bus & tube travel for x# days. Have Fun! I know I will.