British Heritage Pass

Nov 23rd, 1999, 05:06 PM
Dru

British Heritage Pass

We're planning on purchasing the British Heritage Pass before we leave for England in May. Just curious, do we get to bypass ticket lines at sites where it is accepted (ie-go through a shorter "pass" holder line)?? As always thanks for the info!!!

Nov 23rd, 1999, 07:59 PM
Diane M

I have used the British Heritage Pass on three separate trips to the British Isles and highly recommend it. I've always gotten more than my money's worth and find that a trip is a lot more interesting when you go out of your way to find the Heritage sites. I really don't think you can bypass lines, though. In fact, a couple of months ago I went to Windsor Castle and found that I had to stand in line to show my pass, then got a ticket to go into the castle. There are so many wonderful stately homes and gardens that you can tour throughout England, Wales, and Scotland, and lots of places in and around London where you can use it.

Nov 23rd, 1999, 08:36 PM
Jeanne Mills

Dru:

Another good pass to purchase is the National Trust pass. By joining the Trust (or the Royal Oak Foundation, its American counterpart--same thing), you will be able to visit the many wonderful National Trust properties throughout the UK. It's $59/yr PER FAMILY. You'll receive publications throughout the year as part of your membership. If you combine the Heritage pass with the National Trust membership you will be able to enjoy a great many attractions--some of which would be quite expensive without the pass.

I don't think they have a Web site, but their phone number, in New York, is 800-913-6565.

As for lines, the British take queueing very seriously, but we've bypassed National Trust queues frequently by showing our cards. We've just been invited to enter.

Happy travels.

Jeanne

Nov 24th, 1999, 12:32 PM
steve

We travelled to the UK ten years ago and like the others on this posting, found the Heritage Pass useful when using the associated guide book.
However, this year we returned to the UK and armed with another Heritage Pass, assumed that we would just show it at whatever historical site we came across. We were extremely dissapointed at the lack of coverage and we're constantly told "Oh, we don't accept the Heritage Pass here, we only accept pass X or pass Y". We even visited Kew gardens (the UK National Garden) to find that the pass was not accepted.
So my advice is, if you're happy to follow the guide, there's some savings to be made but for the independent explorer, I'd recommend that you pay as you go.

Nov 24th, 1999, 01:40 PM
Edson

There are two different passes: the English Heritage Pass is valid for the sites administered by the English Heritage (EH, www.english-heritage.org.uk), and is not accepted at National Trust properties (NT, www.nationaltrust.org.uk) or in the historic Royal Palaces (HRP, www.hrp.org.uk), for instance. However, the Great British Heritage Pass is accepted at all these properties, and some more. It's really worthwhile, since the entrances for some of the HRP usually cost something like 10.00. I used one about one month ago, and there was no bypass ticket line at the places I visited.