British Airways Strike

Search

British Airways Strike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Airways Strike

Unions are calling for a possible strike over the August bank holiday.
See link for more info.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3562026.stm
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:40 AM

When is the Bank Holiday?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Monday Aug 30
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Thanks! Am I understanding the article that they aren't planning to walk out completely, but have intermittent work stoppages?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Katherine22 - it really doesn't make much difference if it is a "work to rule" (i.e. slowing down), short work stoppages, or full blown strikes. Travelers could be greatly inconvenienced.

Plus this BA agents strike is planned to coincide w/ a baggage handlers strike. The disruptions could be massive -- especially on the Bank Holiday. This is like a US strike on Labor Day weekend or the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It will be a real mess if the strikes happen.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Thanks janis. I'm trying to not get worked up over this-and am being totally selfish, too. We are scheduled to leave Sept. 2, ORD-LHR on BA. I read some of the other posts and it looks like last year it was resolved rather quickly.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM

We're scheduled to leave Sept 2 as well, so I am watching it to Katherine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us!
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:02 AM
AR

They've said Bank Holiday weekend, so that means Sat 28th August until Monday 30th. And I'm travelling on the 28th! Thanks BA. That's the best advert for Ryanair and EasyJet by far.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM

AR-Kind of...my main concern with any slow downs (as opposed to stops) will be getting from LHR to STN in time to not miss my non-refundable Ryanair flight.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Because we've got BA Frequent Flyer cards, I just got this email from them:-

You may have seen reports in the media that the outcome of a GMB union ballot was announced today. Regrettably the ballot result is in favour of industrial action, however we want to continue talking to our unions and remain hopeful of a solution.

Should you have a booking with British Airways, I would advise you not to change your travel plans at this stage, as we are hopeful of avoiding a dispute. However, work on contingency planning has begun and our priority is to minimise any disruption to our customers.

British Airways continues to operate a normal schedule and I would like to stress there is currently no industrial action set. We will continue to update you as the situation may evolve. In the meantime for the latest flight information please visit <http://ba.com>

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Katharine, if possible I would just take carryons. How far apart are your two flights?
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 02:20 PM

We arrive at 10:20 am at LHR. Leave from STN at 7:15pm. I'm beginning to appreciate this time lag now...

I will have to re-evaluate our luggage to try to fit into carry-on only. I have been struggling to fit it into Ryanair allowances already!
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM

We have award tickets, gotten in Feb. [can be cancelled or date changed up to 24 hours before the flight] for LAX-LHR on August 22. And we have the same for London to Rome on August 30- Bank Holiday. How's that for timing?
And our beloved Siamese cat is still hanging on, having subcutaneous fluids three times a week. She's not eating well right now and we're trying everything. Somehow we can't have her put to sleep just to go on vacation. What to do?!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 12:49 AM
AR

That's all I'll say is that if I am inconvenienced by British Airways baggage handlers or check-in staff going on strike in either my outgoing or return flight, then I will simply never choose to fly BA again. I'm sure that many will feel the same in this day of huge competition for short haul fights.
This means that not only will the staff not get their 15% pay-rise demand, they may get redundancy notices instead when profits fall. BA management will also not get fat bonus payments.
The ball is in BA management's court. Sort it out.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Katharine, even if you are delayed for four hours or maybe even more at Heathrow, you should still make it on time for your Ryanair flight, even with luggage. I really doubt that will happen. But for general ease and peace of mind, I would try for carryons. What does your airline allow for carryons?

Odds are there won't be a strike anyway. However, Heathrow is plagued with delays in general.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 10:14 AM

So far, one union (NOT 'unions')has got 53% of its members who could be bothered to vote (and most of that union's members didn't vote)in favour of a strike.

So that union has a weapon that it can try to use, with a week or so notice, any time over the next few weeks. Probably round August 30 . If it doesn't reach a prior agreement with BA. If it thinks the weapon will work (because unless the other unions vote in favour, it'll be a pretty mimsy strike. Even if its own members do actually bother to strike - far from certain given the pathetic support vote the strike got.)

Given all the certain hassles in connecting through Heathrow on a bank holiday, or connecting with another London airport, I'd put the declining possibility of a strike well down the list of things to worry about.

Things can change: the other union might vote more convincingly in favour this week, for example, or BA might foul up the next two weeks' negotiation. But there's no point seeking certainty at this stage. Stay close to the BBC reports of developments if you want to know how this is progressing, or fix yourself a Google UK news alert by inputting "BA strike" at www.google.co.uk/newsalerts?hl=en
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Reuters is saying today that BA ground staff have agreed to launch a 24-hour strike on August 27, 28, 29 or 30 unless BA settles first.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:05 AM

There's an updated article on the BBC web page. Good luck!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 11:52 PM
AR

The GMB union is meeting with the management again today. They have been offered a settlement that equals over 8% over 3 years. Currently, the UK inflation is about 2.5%. What's the problem then?
The TGWU (transport union) are looking to also get involved.
I don't appreciate being used as a pawn for strike action. What if I refused to give emergency blood transfusions in my line of work as a strike threat?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Well my husband is flying BA domestically on both Aug 27 AND Aug 30 --- wheeee!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -