Bristol worth a trip?

Feb 18th, 2002, 05:44 PM
David

Bristol worth a trip?

My wife and I will be staying in Bath and are wondering if Bristol would be worth a day trip. Any information on the areas of Bristol for shopping, and general sight seeing and people watching, would help.

Feb 19th, 2002, 07:40 PM
David

Come on, somebody has to have an opinion. Do I have to beg?

Feb 19th, 2002, 07:54 PM
ron

I was on a walking holiday in Wales last October with some people who live near Bristol. They claimed they go to Cardiff when they want to do serious shopping. If I were to make a list of day trips from Bath, I think Bristol would be fairly far down. Quoting Simon Jenkins, "The Blitz took a dreadful toll on the city, but worse by far was insensitive post-war demolition and development, destroying much of what survived the bombing." If you do go and are intereted in medieval church architecture, the cathedral and a couple of churches, notably St Mary Redcliffe and the Lord Mayor's Chapel are reputed to be of some interest.

Feb 21st, 2002, 08:59 AM
Nick

David,
Bristol is a great place for a couple of days, and very close to Bath so well worth the trip.
Alot of the central area is a bit of a modern eyesore I have to say, and the shopping is just the same as anywhere else. However, the city has got a lot to offer. You'll find one of the finest Elizabethan churches in England in St Mary Radcliffe, a fine Cathedral, a re-developed dock area with the world's first steam ship the SS Great Britain, and one of the most grand Victorian Universities in the country. I would suggest heading from the train station to Park Street where you will find some more exclusive shopping. Start at the Cathedral and walk up to the University at the top. From there carry on up Queen's St towards Clifton. Here you will find a Village on a par with Bath and some great shopping. Don't miss out on Royal York Crescent (the longest Victorian Crescent in Europe) and the Clifton Suspension Bridge. You also be able to visit the Downs - a great open parkland. There are also plenty of good restaurants, or if you want to treat yourself go to Harvey's Wine Museum for a tasting a great traditional British meal.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:51 AM
David

Thanks Ron and Nick for the information. I really appreciate it.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
kam

Also consider Gloucester and Salisbury from Bath. Both worth a daytrip

Search this Thread