Reload this Page >

Bringing Pets Abroad

Search

Bringing Pets Abroad

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Curious

Bringing Pets Abroad

Hello all--I'm planning on moving to Athens in the next couple of months, and would like to evetually bring my cat over. <BR> <BR>Is this totally impossible/difficult to do? Anyone with experience in this matter, please help!! <BR> <BR>Thanks..

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Andy

You will need all documents from your vet as to vaccines that your cat has been given---then you will have to leave your cat in quarenteen for 6 mos. in Athens---Sorry,it's the law.... <BR>If you fly over with pet,airlines needs to be told as they only allow 2 pets in cabin at one time---otherwise pet goes in cargo....also needs to be in pet carrier to fit under seat if you are carrying on board....Call each airline separately to get their rules on pets--

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Chris

Depends who you fly -- I think the rule is 2 in coach, 1 in business/first. And the cat has to be under 10lbs. Continental doesn't allow in-cabin pets on their trans-Atlantic flights (not even on their TICKET on a code-share!) <BR> <BR>We have a "Sherpa" bag that has zip pockets, etc. It fits under the seat. We do give our cat a pill to relax her (she doesn't like being in a car even). <BR> <BR>France never looked twice when we brought our cat in. Never looked at paperwork, nothing (and she was MEOWING!!) <BR> <BR>Check out Greece's immigration laws through their consulate. They should be on line.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Curious

Thanks for your replies...and I will check with the Consulate. <BR> <BR>The good news that I got from your notes is that there is a chance that he could be a carry-on in the cat carrier, and not in cargo... <BR> <BR>Thanks!!! As you petlovers know, this is a big stress, and I can't leave him behind...

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Chris

I know exactly how you feel. <BR> <BR>Delta let us take our cat (Elizabeth) in-cabin also. They were really nice to her (gave her a china bowl from 1st class for her water). <BR> <BR>It is REALLY stressful. What makes it even more so is that you have to take them out of their carrier to go through the metal detectors (the carrier goes through and you hold them and walk through the detector). My husband goes first, gets all the carry-on stuff together, then I send her carrier through, he gets her carrier open and when he's ready on the other side, we go through and I put her right back in her carrier. I also put a harness and a leash on her before we get out of the car at the airport so I have something to hold onto if she gets squirmy when I take her out of the carrier. I take the harness and leash off when we're settled in waiting for boarding. Elizabeth doesn't like to travel and meows constantly unless she's on my lap -- but once she goes under the seat she's fine (and quiet!) <BR> <BR>And I'm always checking on her to make sure she's ok (she sleeps through the flight and because of the pill sleeps SO soundly that I get nervous!) <BR> <BR>Good luck to you and your kitty!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Joanne

Check with the FAA or airlines, but I'm pretty sure that one of the new security measures since 9/11 was totally forbidding pets to be carried. Not sure why! Perhaps it's been lifted by now.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:38 PM
t

topping for sonya