Reload this Page >

Bringing Italian Wine home to the US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 07:22 PM
Tim

On our trip to Italy and the Tuscan area, will we be able to purchase wine and bring it back into the US. If so do you know how much. Can it be shipped or is it safe to do that?

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 09:01 PM
xxx

I think this was first posted by "Rex". I couldn't find it with the search function, but I did keep a copy of the URL when I read it some time back. <BR> <BR>From the Wine Spectator, a little bit out of date, but as far as anyone knows, all the information in it is still factually correct: <BR> <BR>"Getting Your Wine Through Customs" <BR> <BR>http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Sp...ollecting.html <BR> <BR>It seems to be the consensus in both this article and all over this forum that it is essentially impossible to ship wine home.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:47 AM
C Sheen

I was just at Verrazanno winery in Italy. Although they were willing to pack the wine for shipping, they were not actually willing to ship it for a customer. I do not know if this is true for all wineries. We saw lots of people carrying very, very heavy looking packages through customs. In fact, the guy in front of me on the plane told me his napsack was filled with bottles of wine, But I do not actually know if that is legal.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:37 PM
Dan

Tim: <BR> <BR>We returned from Italy in July with two cases of wine (24 btls total) on the airplane. The boxes were packed for shipping but shipping was prohibitively expensive, so we (me) just lugged it on board. The airline (Delta) would not let us check the boxes but allowed us to carry them on. Next time I'll bring an extra empty suit case. Customs at JFK was a breeze, we declared the wine and did not have to pay any duty. You are allowed to bring in 2 liters per person duty free and the extra duty (I believe) is only $0.40/liter, so unless you're bringing a massive quantity, they seem to just waive it. Yes it was worth carrying those boxes through the Rome, JFK and Atlanta airports! <BR> <BR>Ciao. <BR> <BR>Dan

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 03:51 AM
the turnip

I brought a huge empty duffel bag and bubble wrap with me. I mangaged to 16 bottles in it. Was it heavy? You better believe it! Was it worth? Awwwww yeah. No problems at customs. <BR> <BR>Might I recommend some Orvieto Clasico? <BR>Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 04:27 AM
judy

Hi all, I am ready to bring back lots of Italian wine, thanks to your suggestions!!!We were going to take Marta, but it looks like airport parking is the way to go with so much wine to bring home!!!!Can not wait , Judy

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Paul

I too brought home a case of wine on the airplane (they would not allow me to check it). Customs was no problem. I declared it, and they didn't bother to collect any money for it. Only drawback was physically carrying the wine!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 04:12 AM
Rex

To the top - - for Rahul.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 01:09 PM
christina

there is a place in florence who ship you all your wine back home (it's not me - i drink it). they just declare it as olive oil. they ship everywhere. if you want more details contact me please directly. <BR> <BR>tanti saluti ancora <BR> <BR>christian

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 10:25 AM
mbb

To the top for Sydney!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Puck

And who does the jail time when the olive oil is discovered to be a wee bit alcoholic?

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Linda

Good question! I'm an Italian wine-oholic, but even I'm not willing to go to jail for it!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Cathy

Ditto to Dan's mesasage. I just talked to our local wine store operator. He usually brings back up to 2 cases in a Bean duffle, always declares it and never gets the duty imposed.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:41 AM
christina

ciao e buonasera <BR> <BR>well, i don't know your strange system in the states. but as far as i know, no one will go into jail. in case the custom open the boxes, they will keep the bottles and that's it. <BR> <BR>look, as far here in florence, you will not find any courrier who will ship wine as wine into the states. so it's a small risk to declare it as oliveoil (i know that from over 800 shippings, 3 came back, and this was from canada). the other solution for you is very very simple: drink the wine and carry it in your stomach or buy only the amount of bottles you can carry by the aircraft. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>tanti saluti <BR> <BR>christina

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:00 AM
ro

does the same apply for liquors as for wine i.e. anisette or amaratto (sp?)

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Celia

The duty is on the alcoholic content, so liqueurs and booze incur more duty than wine. I've had the same experience as others -- when the customs agent does a quick mental calculation of the amount of duty on a case or 2 of wine, he usually figures that the paperwork is more trouble than the few cents involved, and he just waives it. <BR> <BR>We've often brought back a case or two, packed by ourselves or by the wine estate. <BR> <BR>Shipping wine into most US states is illegal, so most foreign wineries won't do it. Failure to declare it (e.g. by calling it olive oil) is in fact punishable by fines and jail, so don't do it. It's so easy to do it legally.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Linda

So it mignt not give you jail time, it may mean all they do it take it away from you. But who wants to use hard-earned money to purchase wine, then carry it all the way from Italy, just to have it taken away from you, when for a few dollars (possibly), and a bit of honesty, you can do it legally?

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Arlene

Wow, I would love to bring some wine home, but are not familiar with the fine Italian wines. I like a semi dry wine. Can anyone make suggestions? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 07:09 PM
the turnip

Orviteo Classico. <BR> <BR>Mmmmmhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:13 AM
dave

Is not possible to buy Italian wine in the US? Is it really necessary to set up an import business using your rucksack to save a few bucks on a bottle of plonk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -