Barcelona-- Sitges Itinerary leaving in two weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm helping some friends plan a very short trip to Barcleona. They have a really short time and limited parameters (they have already purchased the Dolce Sitges nights) but really deserve a great vacation. Please help.

Here's the tentative idea --

Day one Hotel Oriental Banys -- Arrive early in the morning -- buy ticket for loop bus and go to The Gaudi Cathedral (?) and Apartment -- hang out with sangria and tapas and people watch

Late afternoon go back into Born and walk around see dance near cathedral. Explore -- eat dinner at hotel restaurant.

Day two -- See Picasso Museum and Catalyan Music hall (?) Head to Sitges -- Check in.

Day three -- Relax in Sitges enjoy spa treatment.

Day four -- Go to the Dali city?

Day five -- Morning relax in Sitges leave for airport.

As you can see the time is very limited. What do you think?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

How can I make this question come up in Spain and not just Europe?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:24 PM

There is no "Spain" board.

The gothic cathedral is in the Gothic Quarter and I believe the dancing you are referring to (The Sardana) only happens on certain days (Sundays I think) and perhaps in the morning.

I would advise them NOT to eat any dinners in their hotel as there are a wealth of restaurants in Barcelona which are probably better and a lot more atmospheric.

Sitges is only 30 minutes by rail from Barcelona and trains are frequent. On Day 2 they could have a lot more time to see things in Barcelona itself.

Am sure others will comment further.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Just came back from Sitges/Barcelona last week - we spent more time in Sitges than Barcelona, as we were there to meet friends, and wanted to have a quieter place, with room to park two cars.

We loved Sitges- walked along the beach in the sun, and drank Sangria in a cafe on the beach, had several good meals - one in a small restaurant in the centre of town that looked like it should be some sort of chicken chain, but where the food was fabulous. Started with grilled spring onions to eat by hand, dipping into sauce of tomato, nutmeg, garlic, etc.

We found that the train was very slow going into B. - there's a lot of construction alongside the track. Took us almost an hour - got home in 30 minutes, but worth thinking about if you wanted to do it every day.

Not sure what you mean by 'the Dali city' Presumably Figueres, north of Barcelona. We stopped there on the way down - we had been there before, and loved the museum. Unfortunately this time it seemed every teenager within 200 miles was in the museum. There were rooms we literally couldn't get into, they were so crowded. We left, annoyed that they had sold us 10 euro tickets when we wouldn't be able to see anything.

If it is Figueres you are thinking of, I agree with an earlier poster that there is enough to see in Barcelona without venturing that far.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Note that one can enter the Palau de Musica Catalana only for a guided tour or a performance. When we were there, the early morning slots were taken up by school field trips. The earliest tour in English was 1 pm. (It's not that there were earlier ones that were sold out; that was the earliest one offered.) So they might want to factor that in before they decide what time to leave for Sitges.

I agree...no reason to eat at a hotel restaurant.

If you do a search of "Missypie Barcelona" you'll get my trip report and read about what we saw and where we ate.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input.

I had heard that the restaurant Of the Banys Oriental was quite well regarded in its own right. But, I will double check on that.

Thanks for the other very helpful info, too. Sounds like they should forgo the Dali Museum and schedule Palau Musica for that afternoon.

It'd a good thing I did not misguide them on the Sardana.

Missypie I will certainly look up your report. If I remember correctly your other have helped me in the past.