Reload this Page >

Bringing back bread from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:16 AM
Marisa

We are going to Paris next week and would like to know if anyone has had any luck bringing back that delicious bread! <BR> <BR>We are only going to be there a few days before returning home - does anyone have any hints about how we could pack it so that it stays somewhat fresh? also, could we freeze it once we get home so that we don't have to eat it all at once? <BR> <BR>thanks in advance for your help!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:19 AM
s.fowler

First the good news. It's do-able. I have a friend who is a flight attendant for a carrier-we-shallnot-name who regularly brought bread back from Paris. <BR> <BR>The bad news is that most French bread is made to be consumed within hours of its gestation. That's why you see people walking home from work with a baguette tucked under their arm. <BR> <BR>I'd be happy to hear other comments & ideas here.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:20 AM
Patrick

Depending on where you are flying home to, but I know in Miami the dogs will sniff it out and you'll have to throw it away. Only fully packaged food products are allowed.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
clairobscur

<BR> I don't know of any mean to keep it fresh ...keeping it at cold temperature can help, but I can't see how you could do that on a plane. <BR> <BR>You'll very seldom find in Paris (and even in the countryside, though you'd have a slightly better chance) a standard bread which stay somewhat fresh for more than 1 day. <BR> <BR>Some very rare bakeries make bread with heavy crumb that can be preserved longer (up to some days), but apart from buying bread in dozens of different places and knowing exactly what you're searching for, I see no way you could find them. <BR> <BR> You could probably buy some special breads which fit the bill, but it'll not be the typical stuff. <BR> <BR> Honnestly I would advise you to apreciate it (assuming that you'll actually apreciate it)while you're here, and forget about the hassle of trying to bring it back fresh, freeze it, etc...

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
Harriett

This is why I always pack zip-lock bags wherever I travel. I've brought croissants (but not baguette) back both times I've been to Paris, and they were still good enough to remind me of where I'd been two days later - they don't keep much past that (unless frozen). Not sure how baguette would survive, but worth a try . . . and I've not had any problem w/bread being confiscated at customs. I think it's only fresh meats (and possibly produce) they're after, but you can check the USDA website for specific exclusions. Does anyone know if you can bring cheese back into the US?

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:39 AM
Marisa

Thanks for all of your help. I think we may try to bring back a few croissants in ziplocs (we may end up eating them on the way home!!!!) <BR> <BR>For those who had other questions regarding what kinds of foods can be brought back, i looked on the USDA website and found this listing helpful: <BR> <BR>http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/bring.html <BR> <BR>Harriett: Apparently, fully cured cheeses are ok. That might be tricky to take back though, if it needs to stay refrigerated. <BR> <BR>Also, Patrick, they say it's ok to bring back breads, so I don't know why it would get confiscated (unless there were some meat products in it?). We are flying back into New York, but then we will be taking a separate flight to Miami, so I was kind of concerned. <BR> <BR>Again, thanks for all of your help! <BR> <BR>Oh: if anyone has any ideas about what kinds of foods are good to take home as souvenirs, I'd appreciate that too! <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:14 AM
elvira

Gallon size ziplocks, buy baguette the morning you leave, break the baguette in halves or thirds to fit into the bags. If the bread is still warm, the crust gets soggy but put it in a medium oven to crisp up. If bread is not hot, it gets hard as a rock. Get a brown paper bag, sprinkle inside of bag with few drips of water (or spritz with a mister), put bread inside, place in medium oven until bread is heated through and softened up a bit. Store UNWRAPPED bread in the freezer, warm up in a medium oven (under NO circumstances should you use the microwave). Baguettes don't last long because they are very dry breads (water/flour/yeast); some of the specialty breads that have butter or other oils last longer because they hold their moisture better. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:37 AM
clo

No way to bring back a baguette. <BR>Try with croissants, pain au chocolat and pan viennoise (kind of challah bread- but better)

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:42 AM
air

A cold baguette could be considered a dangerous weapon, much like a nightstick ; ) <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:59 AM
Vicki

I brought back some honey from my last trip to Provence - and my family can't wait for me to go again. None of us ever tasted anything remotely like it. It was not only delicious, but also cheap (I bought several jars in a market town).

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:55 PM
xxx

France is the most "overseas" visited country in the world. The total economic activity associated with travel into and out of France - - airfares, hotels, buying new wardrobes and so on - - accounts for something like 84% of all international currency exchange. <BR> <BR>If you could get REAL, FRESH French bread in other continents by simply packing it up onto an airplane, half of the travel to France would grind to a halt, and the many of the world's economies would collapse. <BR> <BR>Please stop posting such dangerous thoughts like this here. <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:19 PM
Caitlin

For those living in/passing through/visiting New York City, you might be interested to know that Pan Poilane is flown in and sold at Dean & Deluca on Broadway at Price in Soho. On the other hand, if you want awesome Italian pugliese (and other Italian breads), head to Sullivan St. Bakery on (duh!) Sullivan St. in Soho. Oh yeah, we have a Fauchon outlet now too, as well as Maison du Chocolat, both of which fly goods a few times a week. I understand Fauchon has an all-chocolate afternoon tea... <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:01 PM
Christina

I would be surprised if they confiscated bread; I know you can bring back hard cheese (not soft) and chocolate and nuts, as I've done it and declared it at customs (actually, I declared it because the line for food declarations has no one in it whereas the line for people without anything was about 20 people, so I got through quicker). When I am in Paris longterm and buying groceries, I cannot even much stand to keep bread or croissants longer than a day in Paris when I buy them at a local boulangerie where they are fresh (buying croissants in the afternoon for the next morning's breakfast is tolerable, but not much), so I personally would not judge it worthwhile at all to bring back bread or croissants. I don't like running out to the bakery in the morning before breakfast, so it's sort of a pain, actually; I'm not sure what French people do for breakfast if they want fresh goods, do they all run out to the boulangerie and then back home? I'm not a morning person. Frankly, a lot of baguettes in Paris are not what they used to be in quality, some in supermarkets are not very good at all, and some are even being made from pre-mixed dough that is refrigerated or frozen, I believe. I don't know where you live, but a big city should have a good French bakery with a product superior to the stale baguettes you would bring back on a plane. I'm picky about bread, though, as I said, I can tell the diff. in quality between various bakeries in Paris.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:28 PM
celia lynn

Christina: Where are the really good ones?

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:13 PM
sharon

We are also leaving for France in the near future. I am looking forward to enjoying the products of the boulangeries, as bread in it's many forms and flavors is one of my absolute favorite things to eat. We currently enjoy the products of a local brick-oven bakery, and I have stumbled on to a way to restore a day-old loaf to pristine flavor and texture. It sounds bizarre, but here's how to do it: <BR>Preheat oven to 400 degrees. <BR>Do not cut or slice bread. <BR>Simply douse the whole loaf under the

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Bonappetit

(Sorry about the 2 part message, the server timed out before the entire message was sent.) <BR>So: <BR>First, as soon as you purchase the bread, place loaf in a plastic bag to maintain it's moisture. Remove from the bag when ready to heat. <BR>Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. <BR>Do not cut or slice the loaf. <BR>Quickly douse the entire loaf under running water from the kitchen sink. It should be evenly moist but not soaked or soggy. <BR>Place bare, moistened loaf on rack in the oven. <BR>Bake for 5 minutes. <BR>The result is a crispy fragile crust that breaks or cuts easily, and the <BR>inside of the loaf will be moist, soft and hot. <BR>This method works well for any crusty bread product, i.e., bagels, hard rolls, baguettes, or boules; regular or sour dough. <BR>I would suggest that you try the method on a local loaf, just to see how well it works for you. <BR>We also plan to bring home a souvenir <BR>loaf or two in order to recall our wonderful stay in France. <BR> <BR>Bonappetit, mon cheri!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Patrick

Hey, Bonappetite: never tried it, but it sounds good. I've always had great luck wetting a clean dish towel, wringing it out, wrapping the bread in it and microwaving for about 1 minute (depending on the quantity).

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Doug Weller

People will hate me, but I must admit that although I love fresh bread, and make it a lot at home, the wrapped bread I find in French supermarkets keeps weeks and is delicious -- brioche and various other rolls and loaves. <BR> <BR>But the sticks are to be consumed within hours! <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Paul

We had an very interesting experience bringing bread back from Paris a number of years ago. We boarded the plane with one large baguette and as bad luck would have it there was a long flight delay for reasons I do not remember. Well, we were there for a while in the plane without food waiting and waiting. We also compounded the situation by only having a small continental breakfast so by 2PM we were getting a little hungry. Needless to say the bread never made the US but we and a few folks in neighboring seats were fine. It certainly broke the ice with our fellow passengers. <BR> I suppose the moral of the story is to take a baguette or whatever on the plane with you. It will taste great on the ride home. <BR> <BR>P.S. I agree with earlier posts that the bread should be eaten promptly. Alas it does not age well.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Jock

I have found that if one will first buy a nice supply of Haggis In A Tube (available at all better food shops), it can be squeezed out and used to encase the French bread. This will ensure that the bread, wrapped in the Haggis, will remain fresh and tasty for an indefinite time, as no air can penetrate the Haggis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -