Bring pet to England ?

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Jc

Bring pet to England ?

I am planning to rent a cottage in West country for 2 to 3 months this Fall, I don't really like to leave my dog with my relatives for so long. (Usually I go to Europe no more than 2 weeks each time.)Is it possible to bring my dog with me from Canada to U.K.? I heard the regulation is very strick,Or will it be easier to go to Europe continent? I don't mind go to some place else.Thank you for any suggestion.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Rman

It's probably easier to bring the dog to the continent than to England. There's a six month quarantine period for pets coming into England!

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 04:21 AM
xxx

Still?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Gina

I think so, yes. They've relaxed the restrictions for animals coming in from the Continent, but not from anywhere else, as far as I've heard.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 06:07 AM
angela

Animals coming from mainland North America (US and Canada) do not qualify for the pet plan and still have to go through quarantine at the moment. Many more places can bring pets into the UK (not just from the European continent) but the US and Canada are not eligable, due to the risk of rabies being brought into the country.
Angela

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 06:11 AM
angela

ps you would also not be able to bring your pet into the UK via the continent, by first travelling there. The pet will have to have a "pet passport" to be allowed admittance, certain criteria have to be fulfilled.
I "think" you can take your pet to the European mainland without restriction, perhaps someone else can better answer that though.
Angela

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:24 AM
english

You cannot "bring" your animal anywhere where you are not. You might ask someone else to "bring" your animal to you. You may, however, "take" your animal somewhere. The words are not interchangeable. When will this daft usage stop?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Poopoo

Right....

When will the daft posts stop?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:46 AM
love my dogs

My suggestion: Leave the dog home at the very best boarding kennel you can find. Some day in the distant future when you're in mourning for this dog and haven't taken in a new one yet, consider going away for a few months. Plane travel is at the very least traumatic and uncomfortable for dogs, and at worst could be the last unpleasant experience they ever have. I wouldn't risk it with my two unless the USA were scheduled to be bombed and we all had to relocate or else. Having dogs and living for a while in a foreign country are probably both wonderful pleasures, but maybe we have to make choices.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Judy

Thanks for all the responses.