Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bring 'em on - opinions on castle hotel wedding in Scotland, Borthwick or Comlongon

Search

Bring 'em on - opinions on castle hotel wedding in Scotland, Borthwick or Comlongon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am asking for a Canadian relative who wishes to get married in Scotland next autumn. After researching the internet including this site, the choices have been narrowed down to Borthwick Castle, 12 miles from Edinburgh and Comlongon Castle, 15 miles from Gretna. They would like a castle that feels like a castle more than a hotel - a little more rustic perhaps than posh, and the sky is not the limit as far as finances go. It will be just the two of them, no guests.

They would appreciate any, and I mean *any*, comments whether firsthand experiences, general impressions of the castles or even the areas in which they are located. Or maybe there is another castle you have in mind?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:40 PM

I know neither, but last night was told about Glen House at Innerleithen,

http://www.fodors.com/forums/postrep...p;tid=34459730

which one of my business partners had been to for a wedding not long ago. It was, apparently terrific.

I think you need to take the whole place, tho'
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Too bad, because it looks wonderful.

They want to visit Denny while in Scotland because of a family connection, so if you have any advice about that area, Sheila, we're all ears (such as: should they stay there or in a town nearby?). They won't be staying in a castle for the whole visit but will tour around and probably be looking for less expensive lodging. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:29 AM

I have relatives who stayed at Borthwick last year and had a great time. It is very rustic(that is also what they were looking for. The Red Room is supposed to be haunted and in the evening the staff does ghost stories around a fire telling some of the history etc.
It is a pretty rough drive to get there in bad weather they said (it was snowing when they went)but they said once they got there it was the best experience they had in Scotland.
I am planning a stay there next year myself.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 03:25 AM

I spent two nights at Borthwick last year and was completely pleased. Authentic rustic Castle experience, beautiful surroundings and terrific staff. IMO the proximity to Edinburgh makes it a better choice as the happy couple and guests will probably arrive thru there - it is a fabulous city worth exploring for anyone who can book extra time - and then it is a very short trek to the country for the wedding! Best wished to them -
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, panhandle and Cathryn. Yes, that does help. If the pictures on the website of the place that Sheila mentioned are any indication of the countryside south of Edinburgh, it looks like a beautiful area.

For the record, the couple prefers wilderness to manicured gardens, and they love the sea. They have just started researching Scotland and don't yet know exactly where they want to go. The plan is to start in Amsterdam, take a boat to Britain?, then a train to Scotland. In Scotland I think they would prefer to take trains but will probably have to rent a car at some point. Then they will finish off with a visit to Ireland.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:36 PM

Just got married at Dryburgh Abbey in Scotland. We used Scottish Wedding Consultants and could not have been more pleased!
When I first contacted them, I described what we were looking for, and Tracy suggested Dryburgh. It is very secluded and quiet, where as some of the other Abbey ruins are located right next to major roads, hence traffic noises,etc.
I'm sure you could describe what you want and they could make suggestions.
We were married in September and had a great trip.
We spent 3 weeks in England, Scotland, and Wales.
This site was a great help, I learned so much from it. I planned our whole trip and everything worked out perfectly.
Good luck.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 02:01 PM
Ani

Pharlap...JEALOUS!!!
We loved Dryburgh Abbey (visited in April)-our favorite of all the border Abbeys-we have many pictures from our visit. How incredibly lucky you are to have been married there! If you have your pics on a website please post!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,Pharlap! We'll check it out.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and congratulations!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:18 AM

Ani and April, Thank You. No, I don't have any photos posted, but it was a fairy tale wedding.
The Abbey was an incredible setting and it was a beautiful, sunny, fall day.
My husband wore a Jacobite style kilt and I had a very victorian, antique style dress with a tartan sash.
When people comment on our pictures, they say we look like we were back in time.
I do recommend using a wedding consultant to take care of everything.
It can be as cheap or expensive as you wish to make it. There are so many options.
Ours was very simple, we did have a piper. We had friends from Wales come up for it and were our witnesses.
If your friends want more details or advice, let me know, and I'll give my direct e-mail address.
Ours was in planning for over a year.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Very kind of you, pharlap. I'll pass that message along. They seem intent on doing this themselves at this point, but that may change.