Bring Camera with lenses to Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read conflicting information about safety in Naples.
I will be traveling there with a friend, and staying for two nights. I am 64, she is an extremely active 87 year old New Yorker. We are both experienced, confident, travelers.
My question: is it safe to carry and use my camera during our two days in Naples? I have a Nikon D60,
not very large, and use a telephoto lens. Ideally, I would also carry a smaller lens in a small shoulder bag.
Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM

If you have an extra lens (wide angle), then take it. You'll probably end up using it most of the time. As far as safety goes, just that the normal precautions (don't be overloaded if out shopping and try not to get distracted) and you should be fine. Relax and enjoy the experience.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:26 AM

You will be more than fine. Trust me. Naples is awesome!
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM

TimeOut Naples says this about street crime:

"Safety & security

Street crime is common in Naples. Pickpockets and bag-snatchers on foot and on scooters are active in main tourist areas and sites in the surrounding region. Be especially attentive when boarding buses and boats, and when entering museums. If you’re a victim of any crime, go to the nearest police station to make a ‘denuncia’ (written statement).

Always take precautions. Look as if you know what you’re doing and where you’re going, and don’t carry a wallet in your back pocket. Keep some small bills and change to hand rather than pulling out a large wad of cash to pay for something.

If you stop at a pavement café or restaurant, don’t leave bags or coats on the ground or draped across a chair. Wear bags and cameras across your chest or on the side away from the street so you’re less likely to fall prey to a motorbike-borne thief (scippatore). Don’t wear expensive jewellery or watches.

Finally, only take registered, marked taxis."
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I will address the camera issue only.

Unless you're shooting wildlife, there's really no reason to have any lens other than your standard walkaround lens. Or maybe slightly wide.

Definitely not longer.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM

<i>Or maybe slightly wide.</i>

ms_go must have said it a dozen times or more in Naples... "I wish I had a wider lens!"
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM

You need a wide angle lense to snap a photo of mr go?
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM

A lens on a camera is always helpful.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all and especially to PalenQ for taking the time to add the TimeOut Naples info.
Telephoto ( 200...not a zoom) is my preferred lens (portraits, close-ups of people), but I just bought a wide angle ( will also be on Amalfi Coast) and am happy to hear that the investment was worthwhile.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:37 AM

<i>You need a wide angle lense to snap a photo of mr go?</i>

After all that Sorbillo pizza? Yeah, probably.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM

When not in use I carry my carry my camera with the strap over only one shoulder and tuck the camera under my arm. Also use a backpack rather than a camera bag. Although I have not been to Naples we have been to Sicily and other areas of Italy with supposedly bad reputations and have spent considerable time in Barcelona and Madrid. I too have Nikons.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM

IMO if you know there is a problem in a certain city then that knowledge is the best thing and you will then take proper precautions and probably be fine. For folks to say there is absolutely no problem IMO is a disservice as then if you are too carefree in a dicey place like Naples then you may well be victimized.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM

We had no problems in Naples. From the lack of beggars, homeless and other "undesirables" around the central station, it appears that there is an attempt at cleaning up the area and perhaps the city as a whole. Pickpockets tend to be invisible, but gangs of kids crowding you in an attempt to pick pockets are not, and we saw none of these. There were mounds of trash, especially on our arrival day on one of the main thoroughfares, but this last example was political--Berlusconi had been there a few days earlier and that trash was a reminder that he did not fix the problem as promised. Two days later it was gone.

I would not get rid of the telephoto--many building and other details are far enough to require one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...58744325/show/
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM

<i>For folks to say there is absolutely no problem IMO is a disservice as then if you are too carefree in a dicey place like Naples then you may well be victimized.</i>

I doubt that folks who are concerned enough to ask a question about safety in this or that locale suddenly turn <b>carefree</b> on the advice of posters. We can only report our own experience.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Let me report my experience in Naples - a few years ago admist the huge garbage crisis where garbage was everywhere - I had heard so so many warnings about crime, etc. - like Michael I had absolutely no problem (but was also carrying nothing and looking a little let's say less than wealthy tourist) - anyways after a wondrous day of walking around on a Sunday I stopped near the main plaza by the Centrale train station to go back to Rome to get a gelato.

Ah that gelato tasted really good until walking and lapping it up I stumbled into one of the many potholes I saw in the streets and down I went with a big thud - right on my nose and head.

I was literally dazed and confused - did not know where I was for a few minutes until I slowly came back - locals came to help me up and ask I I were OK - I finally regained full consciousness - or at least normal consciousness for me and had blood gushing from my nose - all over my body and clothes.

I headed for the train station I though I saw on the other side of the square and there an official guided me to the medical station where they washed my wounds and bandaged it and called an ambulance to take me to the hospital - a bumpy bumpy ride thru cobbled streets.

Once at hospital they could not have been more friendly - one orderly took personal attention over me and wheeled me thru the whole process - from stiching up to X-rays - to resting to the exit and called a taxi for me to go back to the train station - he was so so nice - explaining that he was there during the Viet Nam era when Naples played host to many American warships on R & R - telling how he helped sailors find various things - he called that the best time of his life.

Anyway the hospital charged me not one cent for treatment - saying they had no means to charge in socialized med Italy.

Upshot - a city where I at first feared to tred around in ended up treating me so so well - from the poor looking folks who initially helped me to the station medical folks to everyone in the hospital.

Naples showed a kind side to me - I could have easily been pickpocketed when down and out but pickpockets do not abound everywhere - enjoy Naples - be a bit careful because TimeOut has reason to give their advice and enjoy what I consider to be one of Europe's most awesome and unique towns - a town that looks and feels today with laundry strung between narrow lanes like all Italian towns looked when I first went to Italy over 40 years ago.

Naples - a town I love - do not let any fears keep you away just be prudent.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all. I'll bring my camera!

Aduchamp1: why do you recommend a backpack rather than a small camera case? I don't own a backpack, and I prefer to carry as little as possible, especially with a camera and another lens, but perhaps I should re-consider. Is this something that you recommend for safety reasons?
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Other than trips to national parks with wildlife I only travel with my Canon 15-85 lens.

That lens cost at least as much as the camera but it's an excellent travel lens.

Moderately long and 20% wider than most walkaround DSLR lenses. Sharp throughout doesn't hurt either.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi Ally,

>TimeOut Naples says this about street crime:

That is a generic warning that applied to everywhere in the world.

Take the usual precautions: don't wave money around, don't leave your belongings unattended.

When getting money from an ATM one of you should stand facing outward so that you can't be approached without warning.

I bring a small air horn (available from boat supplies) to keep in pocket or purse. When in doubt, push the top. The noise can be heard for a mile.

re: backpack
> Is this something that you recommend for safety reasons?<
Unless someone is literally "watching your back" a thief can easily empty a backpack without you knowing it.

When in Naples, don't miss the Veiled Christ and the other works at http://www.museosansevero.it/

Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Aduchamp1: why do you recommend a backpack rather than a small camera case? I don't own a backpack, and I prefer to carry as little as possible, especially with a camera and another lens, but perhaps I should re-consider. Is this something that you recommend for safety reasons?

___

Yes, a camera case indicates a camera, while a backpack is used for general purposes. I must say, however, that I have never had a problem with ny cameras. Once in the Alfama, years ago, housewives were warning me to hide or protect my camera.

Another thing, and I have not seen it recently are two guys on a scooter, one drives and the other literally rips bags off the shoulder nearest to the curb. So out of habit I do not carry my camera on the street side.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Sorry, one more thing.

When not using the camera and it still on my a strap, I turn the camera backwards, so the lens does not protude out. That is more to protect it against my banging into something or someone banging into me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -