Reload this Page >

Brighton-side trips?

Search

Brighton-side trips?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Linda

Brighton-side trips?

Hi,<BR><BR>hopefully someone can help me with that problem. I will be in Brighton for a couple of days to visit friends. I don`t want to put them in the role of a tourist guide and like to have my own ideas of what to do.<BR>The problem is that I did not find much information with the search function and the guide books I have.<BR>I like to visit castles, cathedrals, old mansions and the like. If you have any ideas what to do around Brighton( 40 min. drive is ok) please share. I am open for fun activities, as well.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Linda

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:16 AM
anissa

Linda, I was just over there in November! You will have so much fun. We didn't get over to Brighton, but I do know that we were considering it, just ran out of time. The very charming town of Rye is within driving distance (but I can't tell you the exact milage/time, I would think within an hour though). Very quiant town, with a colorful past as a smugglers village. Very steep, cobblestone streets (esp Mermaid st) great shops, a small fort, wonderful places to eat (although pricey) and if you need a place to stay the Jeakes House was an oasis! Bodiam was only a short drive up the road and it has a beautiful castle, that we had planned only on seeing from the outside, and once there wished we had had time to see the inside (but the drive was hair raising). I think that it is too far for your distance, but Canterburry was about an hour past Rye (that was night driving, so possibly less in the day - I really didn't like driving on back roads and drove slower than necessary) and the Cathedral there was jaw dropping awesome. Leeds is also in the region, but I think that is again past your 40 mile distance (everything is realatively close in England though, esp comparred to the States).<BR>Have fun!!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:23 AM
andrew

Hi Linda - Anissa's already come up with some great ideas if you head east from Brighton - if you go west you will come across Arundel Castle the home of the Duke of Norfolk, the roman town of Chichester with a fine cathedral (you can even visit a real Roman house) just outside and slightly to the north is Petworth House a seventeenth century house with brilliant paintings by Turner, Van Dyck etc and gardens designed by Capability Brown. Small thought you didn't say when you were going beware some of the attractions (including Petworth and Arundel Castle) don't open to the public until the end of March<BR><BR>Hope this helps and enjoy your trip<BR>Andrew

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Joanne

Or you can hop on the train and be in London in an hour.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:45 AM
MrsWilson

You may find that there is more than enough to do in Brighton itself for a couple of days. Take a walk along the seafront, visit the Pavillion, the Lanes and the North Lanes for shopping. Visit the tourist office for lots more info on the city. Also, think about going to Hove which you can reach simply by walking east.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:59 AM
judy

Hi Linda, Brighton is on my short list of places to day trip from London. Mrs. Wilson, do you have any other tips for Brighton? We will be in London the end of March. <BR>Judy

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Bob

Perhaps I was having a bad day but Brighton left me totally cold. A stone beach and a cheesy boadwalk. Most any other town is preferable in my humble opinion.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:01 AM
John

I'm in the camp of those who really enjoy Brighton - the pier, beach, Lanes, and especially the Royal Pavilion. In the summer the waterfront is kitschy and fun, in the winter melancholy and atmospheric. There are plenty of interesting places to see within an hour's drive, or just get a couple of paperback mysteries, a beer or a pot of tea, and let the words flow.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM
MrsWilson

Judy: I would try to pick a nice day to visit Brighton. A sunny day really does make all the difference so watch out for the weather forecast. I would advise you to walk right to the end of the Palace Pier. That way, you'll get a good view of Brighton's sea front and its fabulous Regency architecture. I am sure that there is a hop on/hope off sightseeing bus that you can take. A walk along the beach, close to the water where it's easier to walk, is always invigorating. When walking along the sea front look out for the beautiful Regency squares with their wedding cake style houses. Brighton is home to many different communities. Lots of gays,actors, media types etc which is fun. I do realise that Brighton would not be for everyone and OK it does have its seedy side but if you want a day out by the seaside I think it's a good choice. Also, history wise its interesting. The town first became fashionable in the 18th century when the aristocracy began to visit to bath and to drink the sea water which they reckoned was good for them. The Prince Regent, who fell in love with the town, built the Royal Pavillion in the late 18th early/19th century and kept a couple of mistresses in a rather grad manner close by. If you decide to go, I hope you enjoy it.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:10 AM
MrsWilson

Yee gads see if you can spot the spelling mistakes....too much of the old cooking sherry I fear.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Linda

Hi again<BR><BR>and thanks for all the nice suggestions.<BR>I will be there next week and will report when I get back.<BR>One more question- do you know of a good pub or a restaurant not to miss in Brighton or nearby?<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR><BR>Linda

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:27 AM
evo2

If you have a car, you can drive along the finest road in England - the A272.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:36 AM
MrsWilson

How about going to the The Grand for lunch or tea?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Ben Haines

<BR><BR>Dear Ms Burt,<BR><BR>You've had good advice already. I agree that Brighton has a seedy broadwalk, but as Mrs Wilson says fifty yards inland from that are the Lanes, tiny pedestrian streets for shopping, dining, and pubs. I like the restaurant in the oldest hotel in town, the Ship Hotel. But almost worth my day return fare from London is tea at the tiny shop on a small pedestrian street just west of central the bus station. They bake everything upstairs, including proper cakes and meringues made with egg white and served with whipped cream.<BR><BR>Hove is far from seedy: it is upright and sedate. But therefore not so good for walking as for taking a bus, and then walking. Afternoon tea in a Hove hotel can have a respectability all its own. <BR><BR>The reference to Leeds is in fact to Leeds Castle. Leeds is in Yorkshire. The castle looks good, but the inside is sad, as all the things on show were bought at auction in the twentieth century. I prefer a great house to have the heritance of a great family - including where available a Lord housed in an apartment within the building.<BR><BR>I can add a further, nearby, destination, Lewes, which has a castle and a fine main street.<BR><BR>Brighton, and Sussex, are splendid. Please write if I can help further.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Joanne

One short, fun, good-smelling, educational and very political outing from Brighton is the Bath and Body Works factory and outlet in Littlehampton, just out the A 259 or by bus.<BR><BR>http://www.bodyshop.com/uk/tours/index.asp