Brief Trip Report: Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As promised, a trip report --- we just returned yesterday. After reading Sandy's report, thought I'd better add my 2 cents worth!!
We started in Frankfurt on March 28th, and drove to Oberwesel on the Rhine. Stayed at Auf Schoenburg, and it was everything we had read and hoped. View was fantastic and staff and rooms were great. They even fixed a lunch of soup and bread for us, as we arrived early afternoon.
Mind you, on this trip we have 4 adults (2 parents/ 2 grandparents) and 4 children, ages 3 to 11. Every hotel required 2 large rooms. Thanks to this forum and to Bavaria Ben for ideas.
While in the Rhineland, we saw the Rhinefells castle (kids loved exploring, took a brief cruise from St. Goar to Bacharach, and drove one day to Burg Eltz ---- this was fantastic. One of our favorite sights.
On Thursday, we drove to Rothenburg o.d.T and stayed at Garni Hornburg, which is just outside the walls. I had stayed there about 8 yrs. ago, and knew how wonderful Martin and Gabi were. Location is perfect, as we didn't have to worry about driving through the town. While there, we saw the Criminal Museum, the Nightwatchman's tour, and shopped and shopped. Walked the wall early in the morning, ate pizza and German wurst.
To be continued .....
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Part II
Keep in mind that traveling with 8 people takes a lot more time and patience. Everyone doesn't move at the same pace, and interests are different. We rented a Ford Transit through Andrew Bestor at Gemut.com, and it was perfect. Room for eight and plenty of luggage space in the rear. It was a diesel, and ran like a top. My son did most of the driving, while I navigated, and drove part of the time.

Saturday, we left for Lucerne, driving through Schauffhausen and visiting the Rhinefall. Had hoped to get to Stein am Rhein but ran out of time. Arrived in Lucerne late afternoon, and drove straight to the Hotel des Alpes, unloaded, and parked across the bridge at the bahnhof. Church for Sunday Mass was right next door. Again, Hotel was perfect -- staff, service and location. Fantastic view of Kappelbrucke (covered bridge).
Great stores in Lucerne, but all closed on Sunday!! Early in the morning, I walked to the Jesuitenkirche and the Franziscaner (across the river). Later, after Mass, we all took the gondola ride to Pilatus, which was wonderful. It was a beautiful day, and many locals were there. They have deck chairs, and people sit there in the sun, with a blanket, if desired. There's a restaurant, but also a snack shop, so we ate wursts and soaked up the sunshine with everyone else. Absolutely fantastic view of the Alps, with lots of snow, and the hardy ones out walking the paths in the snow with poles.
When we returned, the other family members took the little train tour --- about 45 minutes driving around downtown. I walked to the Lowendenkmal (Lion monument), and met them there.
Ate fondue at des Alpes; and one meal at Pickwick next door, so kids could have hamburgers. Not my choice, but staff was very friendly and helpful. Good weather, and we sat outside next to the Reuss River and watched the swans and about 4 varieties of ducks.
Also, did some shopping at Migros. We did a lot of road-stop picnicking, buying bread and meats and cheeses in stores on the way.

Monday was Garmisch-Partenkirchen at the Frauendorfer --- and I agree with all of Sandy's comments. We went through Appenzell, got a bit lost, but enjoyed the Alpine scenery and the small villages. Ate lunch in Appenzell (cheese and onion pie!!).We loved our meal, too, at the Frauendorfer(closed Tuesday) and enjoyed the entertainment. Many shops and restaurants nearby. On Tuesday, we ate at the Lowenbrau restaurant between the Frauendorfer and the Post Hotel. Fantastic German meal with schnitzel and gemischter salad.
Tuesday, we drove to Neuschwanstein. Early in the season, so no reserve tickets needed. As suggested (Rick Steves), we took the bus up to the Marienbrucke, and walked down, and then took the horse-ride back. Also stopped at Oberammergau and Ettal, where there was a chanted Liturgy of the Hours.
Garmisch was further than we'd realized from the castles, so we didn't have time for the Wieskirche, and saw Oberammergau instead of Hohenscwangau. Next time, I'll start at the other castles!!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:48 AM
JN

Cool report. Having visited Sankt Goar Y Rheinfels, having stayed often at the Des Alpes, eaten their Fondue, sat in front of the Lowendenkmal reflecting pool, gone up to Pilatus and just last year returned from a trip that included a glorious day at Hohenschwangau, I couldn't help but think about planning our next trip. Glad you had fun.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
adoptionisfab

Thanks for an intersting report!

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM

I read the Lucerne part with special interest - was there just 10 days ago! The lion monument is amazing! In memory of Swiss soldiers who lost their lives guarding the French king - he couldn't trust his own soldiers! That dying lion's "face" expression!

And I had lunch with the view of the bridge, I think at the Alps, the day was cool, and I had tomato soup, so tasty, I need to find a recipe for it. Not the kind of watery tomato juice they serve here!

And I miss the ice-cream already