Reload this Page >

BRIDGET JONES AND FRIEND POSTS LIVE FROM BARCELONA

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:28 PM
ger

Extract from Bridget's Diary in Spain: <BR> <BR>Number of Alcohol Units consumed: 4 (but I might be/probably am lying) <BR>· Number of muggings encountered personally: 0 <BR>· Number of muggings observed: 0 <BR>· Number of shoe units purchased: 3 (Note to self: Adopt personal MANTRA: You are NOT a centipede -you do NOT need any more shoes) <BR>· Number of bottom pinching incidents experienced personally: 1 (Note to self: lunges & squats DEFINITELY working; increase to 4 sets of 15, three times per week) <BR>· Number of free alcohol units proffered by waiters/restaurant owners that were not consumed: 2 <BR>· Number of waiters/restaurant owners providing cell phone numbers to self while wife was not looking: 1 (Note to self: see above: There may be connection between "pinchable bottom", free alcohol and trolling waiters) <BR>· Number of sightings of the LOCALS wearing NYC baseball caps, snow white running shoes, brightly-colored track suites, shorts: 0 <BR> <BR>BRIDGET, GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!!! <BR> <BR>Sorry about that guys. I am in Barcelona with my new, imaginary, Very Best Friend (VBF), Bridget. (Traveling alone gets SSSOOOOOOO lonely - what's wrong with bringing along an imaginary friend?). <BR> <BR>For those of you interested in traveling to Barcelona, let me deal with the important things first: <BR> <BR>· How does one get one's bottom pinched?: Bridget has already dealt with that one - three sets each of squats & lunges, three times per week. After three months, your bottom will be relocated from the back of your knees to your shoulder blades. <BR>· What should one wear? The Catalans/Spanish are SO well groomed! It's Sunday and they are all dressed up - men in suits, women in suits or dresses. Let me put it this way .. If you are over 30, leave jeans and shorts at home - dress conservatively: This is a fashion capital. <BR>· Tourists: Majority of tourists sighted today are European: French, German and English. Americans are generally retired and wealthy. <BR>· Weather: Perfect! It was sunny and mild. A sharp breeze whipped in from the sea. At times it became chilly, but never uncomfortable. Typical of a sea-based city, the early morning was sunny and warm and cloud cover increased during the day. Anyone planning a trip should consider May. <BR>· How can I talk to the locals?: In Catalan/Spanish/ French/English. I have had just a two-day experience, so I would welcome the experts jumping in here: All speak both Catalan and Spanish and many speak English (more than Madrid, I find, but would like others to comment). I can express myself better in French ,as I have limited Spanish, so I am speaking French or English and getting on fairly well. Catalan is NOT Spanish and it is NOT a dialect - it is a distinct language that, apparently, it is more aligned to "Provencal" or even Italian than it is to Spanish. Its all very complicated so read learn the history before you decide. <BR>· What should you should know: Catalans are, justifiably, proud of their history pre Spanish/Iberian assimilation. Sensitivity alert: Understand what makes them different, read their history - it will allow you to better appreciate the city and culture. <BR> <BR> <BR>More to follow <BR> <BR>Regards .... Ger

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:30 PM
ger

WHAT I DID TODAY <BR> <BR> <BR>Bus Tour <BR> <BR>I don't normally do this but I have limited time and I wanted to get an orientation of the city, so I took a bus tour. <BR> <BR>Took the Bus Turistic (2200 pts per person for one day, 2800 pts for two days, discount coupons for public and private attractions provided). Main "Launch Point": Placa de Catalunya. Total time, two routes; About 3.5 hours. Buses come every 15-10 mins: <BR> <BR>There are two routes: Red - North, Blue - South. They hit the following areas: <BR> <BR>· RED/NORTH: Pg de Garcia La Pedrera, Sagarada Familla, Park Guell, Trama Blau Tibidabo, Montisir de Pedidralbes-Thyssen, Palau Reial, Club Barcelona, <BR>· BLUE/SOUTH: Barri Gothic, Zoo, Olympic Village, Port Olimpic, Port Vell, Colon La Rembla, Miramar Jardins, Funicula Montjuic, Olympic site, Poble Espanyol, Placa Espanyol, Place d"Espanya, Estacio de Sants <BR> <BR>Impressions <BR>· Good way to orient yourselves in the city <BR>· Expensive as a bus tour, but might be ok if you take advantage of the discount coupons <BR>· Best plan: Buy the two-day package and do one each day, jumping off at each stop to take advantage of coupons <BR>· For me: Glad I did it, despite the fact that I was bored during the Northern portion of the journey. It did "orient" me and now I can plan my walks - I am a very SERIOUS walker. <BR> <BR>El Barri Gotic Walk <BR> <BR>Firstly, I have to recommend a tour book. Barcelonawalks by George Semler is probably the best tour book I have ever read for exploring a city. Anyone planning a trip to Barcelona should order it from AMAZONE.COM (it is old (printed in 1991) and out of print (so you will not find it in you local bookshop) and the "general" information is no longer relevant). The book gives you the history of every important building and Square/Placa on the route - from Roman times to recent times. It provides extraordinary insights into the city's history and its position in and contribution to Western society. It has very interesting and amusing anecdotes If you LOVE history and stories, you will love this book. <BR> <BR>It was an extraordinary walk around the Barri Gothic. The narrow streets close in on you and you begin understand what it meant to live within the confines of a walled city - claustrophobics could not have survived. And there is no light - the sun never touched these streets. But the streets are short. Suddenly you stumble upon a light-filled square - small but perfect: The stone captures and reflects the light. Usually, there is a fountain (did the Catalans learn this from Alhambra, from the Arab invaders love of water gardens and knowledge of plumbing?). There is a church and a saint and some extraordinary mythical, mystical, Jewish, early Christian or historical tale of death and redemption. There are layers upon layers of history and magic. <BR> <BR>Its been a good day and Barcelona is truly a great city. I have seen the very best design and architecture from the Roman era, through to the modern, yet sensitive, construction for the 1992 Olympics. Tomorrow I explore the Catalan's unique and extraordinary contribution to modern art and architecture - Modernist Barcelona. <BR> <BR> <BR>Regards ... Ger

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:59 PM
jill

I loved the BJ movie...and the books...cracked me up! i will be in Barcelona in 1.5 weeks! Wooohooooo!

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:18 PM
matt

ger, <BR>Clever post, thanks for the levity - makes me want to go to Barcelona. Sounds like you are enjoying your trip, keep it up! (and post some more when you get a chance).

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Judy

Hi ger, very nice trip report! Are you going to Montserrat? It is one of my favorite views ever,,,,and the black virgin icon... lovely. <BR>Hope you and Bridget have the best time, watch those alcohol units(they can pack on the pounds)&lt;g&gt; ;-) Judy

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Beth Anderson

excellent post! very witty...

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:29 PM
ger

Good to hear from you all and I'm glad you have enjoyed the post. I will try to add to it over the next couple of days. I had a wonderful day exploring the "L'Eixample". If there is one excuse you are looking for to come to Barcelona, this is it! <BR> <BR>Judy: My initial plans included Monserrat, based on recommendations from yourself and Maribel. However, I was delayed in London on business and have only a half-day on Wednesday free (must be at the airport by 3 pm, at the latest, for flight to Paris) so I am not sure I can do it this time. By the way I found, on my tour of the Bari Gothic, the Eglesia St. Just which is, apparently, the original home of the "Black Virgin". It was removed, to Monserrat, in anticipation of the Moorish invasion and returned again during the 1714 siege of Catalonia. I have a picture (maybe?) of the inscription over the door of the church, which says: <BR> <BR>"Our pious patron is the black and beautiful Virgin, together with the sainted children Justo and Pastore" (Justice and Peace perhaps?) <BR> <BR>(Note: BRIDGET translated from the original Latin, so I reserve my judgment as to its accuracy!) <BR> <BR>ADVICE PLEASE: Is it possible to do Monserrat in my timeframe? Also, can anyone provide directions? <BR> <BR>Regards from beautiful Barcelona …..Ger <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Judy

Hi ger, four of us went to Montserrat by taxi, and split the costs,,,,it took about 45 minutes. Once there we did the abbey, and then took the funicular to the top. We wish we could have spent more time exploring the wonderful top of the mountain.. fabulous views on a glorious sunny day(if it is not too clear maybe you could save it till another time). You could allow 2 hours total travel, then 2 hour there...I think you would be ok, if you left early in the am...Or maybe just have more alcohol units with Bridget in a lovely square somewhere...Judy

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:05 PM
glamgirl

v.v.funny!! <BR> <BR>we want another update!! <BR> <BR>

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Lisa

Great report. <BR>taking notes for our July trip

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Capo

Great writing, Ger, glad you're having a good time there. I loved Barcelona, especially the Barri Gotic and the modernist buildings in the Eixample. And La Rambla is probably my favorite street in all the cities I've been to in Europe. <BR> <BR>Re: "Firstly, I have to recommend a tour book. Barcelonawalks by George Semler is probably the best tour book I have ever read for exploring a city." <BR> <BR>There are a number of excellent books in that "Walks" series. I've used Semler's book for Barcelona, Alison & Sonia Landes' (mother & daughter) "Pariswalks" for the City of Light, and Anya Shetterly's "Romewalks", recently, for the Eternal City. They're all extremely informative.

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:56 PM
ger

Extract from Bridget's Diary in Spain: Part 2 <BR> <BR>Hello Fodites, this is Bridget: My VBF (Very Best Friend )- Ger- is off preparing a presentation for colleagues in Paris so I am posting instead. When she has time, she'll probably wax poetic (heavy sarcasm) about the beauty of Gaudi's architecture and the Modernist movement (gag!). <BR> <BR>(Note to Self: Don't forget to post to Fodor's thread re "Traveling Partner's from Hell". Do so anonymously and frequently, least anyone forget or lose interest in the thread). <BR> <BR>In the meantime, I will update you on the really important stuff (Bottom pinching, bag snatching, muggings, "Fanny-Packs", shoe shopping, the acceptability of travelers wearing baseball caps, shorts, running shoes and track suits). <BR> <BR>Number of Alcohol Units consumed: Anywhere between 10 and 47, since last post, depending on whether <BR>· Business-lunch alcohol units count (which they really shouldn't, as they should be classified as Sales Units, if one is meeting with clients); <BR>· One can accurately count alcohol units subsequent to consuming an entire bottle of Cava (Spanish Champagne) at breakfast (Note: this was NOT my fault. Fodor's experts provided advise on necessity to "blend in". Bottle of Cava was available on breakfast table and one did not like to insult hosts. One heartily partook of their hospitality and blended in, up to the point that one staggered, crab-like, out of restaurant) <BR> <BR>Number of muggings encountered personally: 0 <BR>Number of muggings observed: 0 (Note: Locals consider Barcelona a safe city but were bemused that anyone would consider rambling around the Rambla after midnight to be a safe and enjoyable activity). <BR> <BR>Number of shoe units purchased: 0 (Note to self: Personal Mantra appears to be working. Great progress made regarding convincing one's inner child that we are a BIPED and not a CENTIPEDE.) <BR> <BR>Number of shoes units destroyed by walking into dog excrement while observing yet another architectural detail pointed out by, soon to become, EX-VBF (Very Best Friend AKA traveling partner from HELL): 1 (Note to self: Escape from VBF tomorrow to shop for shoe replacements, as opposed to, less than compelling, opportunity to view MORE architectural detail) <BR> <BR>More to follow ...Bridget

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:58 PM
ger

Extract from Bridget's Diary in Spain: Part 2-Verse 2 <BR> <BR>Number of bottom pinching incidents experienced personally: 0. (Note to self: This may have something to do with extra pounds resulting from excessive consumption of alcohol units ("Judyrem" DID warn us). Solution: If bottom appears to be casting excessive shadow, then lower the alcohol units and increase squat/lunge units. However, consumption of alcohol units historically more enjoyable to self than performing squats/lunges.) <BR> <BR>Number of sightings of the LOCALS wearing NYC baseball caps, snow white running shoes, brightly-colored track suites, shorts: STILL 0 (Note to Fodorites: Confirmed with VBF's Barcelona colleagues today that under NO circumstances are shorts acceptable attire in this city (for male or female), regardless of climate, unless one is under 15 years and 65 Lbs (Note to self: Just as well, as personal bottom is obviously now considered by locals to be "unpinchable" in present state) <BR> <BR>Number of "Fanny-Pack" sightings: Increasing. (Note to self: Please advise U.S. friends not to use the aforementioned term, particularly in British Isles, as they are likely to get their faces smacked (the term "Bum Bags" is marginally more acceptable but NOT wearing the offending garment is even MORE acceptable)) <BR> <BR>BRIDGET, GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!!! <BR> <BR>SHE (Ger) is back: aaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggg … <BR> <BR>Sorry Guys, Ger here. Had to wrestle notebook from Bridget. Sincerely hope she did not offend anyone? <BR> <BR>Tied up today with business. I hope Bridget did not embarrass herself, but she WAS eying that bottle of CAVA on the breakfast buffee - Note to self: Don't forget to post to Fodor's thread "Travel Partners from Hell" re traveling with Bridget. <BR> <BR>I hope to post my 389-page report re appreciation of Modernist Barcelona architecture (with pictures) by the weekend. I know you all keen to read it! <BR> <BR>Till then … Best regards from Barcelona … Ger <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:11 PM
ger

Capo: <BR> <BR>Our posts crossed. Yes, BarcelonaWalks is the best tour book that I have ever read. I stand front of a building of merit or importance and I want to know more than when it was built - I want to know who lived there and what influence they had in the society at the time - this book answers those questions. It sets the context to understand the society. <BR> <BR>I would love to know about your experience of the others in the series, particularly the Paris one. <BR> <BR>Regards … Ger <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Lisa

Keep them coming, Ger and Bridget. <BR> <BR>Just wondering, how do you find the time to post between the sightings of Gaudi, bum bags, shorts etc and downing of alcoholic units? <BR> <BR>But glad you do.

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:23 PM
michelle

Hi <BR> <BR>I was wondering if you could recommend somewhere not to expensive to stay in Barcelona. Your trip reports are great. Your help would be much appreciated.

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:05 PM
ger

Michelle: <BR> <BR>I actually had a problem getting ANY hotel in Barcelona. Ended up in the NH Hotel Colderon in L'Eixample (excellent location) at 28,000 pst per night - not moderately priced, I think. <BR> <BR>I am attaching some info I gleaned from this site while I was investigating for my trip. Most hotels recommended are at the higher (but not higest) end but the following were more reasonable. Please remember to book early. ... Regards Ger <BR> <BR> <BR>Hotel recommendation on Las Ramblas in Barcelona <BR> <BR> Author: Greg ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/06/2001, 8:44 am ET <BR> Message: Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel on Las Ramblas in Barcelona? I've come across the Hotel Continental (not to be confused with the Hotel Inter-Continental), which doesn't sound too bad. Any thoughts on this or any other hotel? Price range $80-150 USD. <BR> Thanks in advance! Greg <BR> <BR> Author: Henry ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/06/2001, 8:52 am ET <BR> Message: Greg:we stayed at the Royal Hotel about 2 yrs.ago.Liked it very much right on the Ramblas.Great location & very good breakfast included.Enjoy. <BR> <BR> Author: lynn ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/06/2001, 9:36 pm ET <BR> Message: Hi Greg: <BR> We always stay at the Regina Hotel at the top of the Ramblas near Placa de Catalunya. Great location. The underground and train station is accessible by an elevator from the street level just outside the hotel. The hotel itself is very nice and in your price range. The dinners tend to be a bit pricey but there's lots to choose from out there, breakfasts were excellent however. <BR> Regards, Lynn <BR> <BR> Author: Michael ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/06/2001, 10:03 pm ET <BR> Message: Greg... <BR> We stayed at the Hotel Continental for 2 weks in October. It is located at the top of the Rambles. Excellent location and a nice clean affordable hotel. It is 1/2 block from Playa Catalunya and the Metro stop. Includes a great continental breakfast and the staff were unbelievably helpful and accomodating! Rooms include a microwave and refridgerator.I would highly recommend this hotel. You won't be dissapointed. When I return, this is where I'll definitely stay again, Good luck! <BR> <BR> Author: steve ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/06/2001, 11:30 pm ET <BR> <BR> Message: Here's another suggestion - the Duques de Bergara which is located about 50 meters from the plaza catalunia which is the beginning of the Ramblas. We loved Barcelona, but I would not recommend staying at a hotel right on the Ramblas. This street is active all night long and is very noisy. However, maybe that's what you're looking for. <BR> <BR>.... continued below

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Ger

Author: Dan ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/07/2001, 8:33 am ET <BR> Message: And another: Try the Hotel Jardi. It's a block off the Ramblas, and very convenient to everything.Adjoins 2 separate little plazas (if you have a map, one is Placa del Pi) and a cathedral. You can walk all over Barcelona from here. I did. Ph:34-93-301-5900 34-93-318-3664 fax <BR> <BR> <BR> Author: Sharon ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/07/2001, 3:59 pm ET <BR> Message: ooh Im really excited, I ve never stopped at a hotel before that people have asked about. I stayed in the continental la rambla two months ago, a great bargain hotel for the location. the rooms are a bit seventies, and smelled of cigarette smoke (as does everywhere in Barcalona), but, we got a room with a balcony overlooking la rambla -you have to pay a bit extra - and every night could sit out on the balcony with a bottle of <BR> Cava watching the human traffic below. Amazing <BR> <BR> Author: Capo ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 3/07/2001, 7:19 pm ET <BR> <BR> Message: Hi Greg, <BR> From the website below (I knew the Hotel Continental had a connection with George Orwell)... <BR> Hotel Continental <BR> Europe's most famous boulevard is of course full of hotels, from basic to luxurious, but this one, near the top, has a special place in my heart for its part in George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" -- and its individual, eccentric character. Family-run since it opened in 1898, Hotel Continental is decorated with old photographs of a more glorious past, patterned carpets, and floral drapes. Rooms are homely, over-decorated with frilly lampshades and wallpaper depicting pastoral scenes...but comfortable. The whole point is to get a room with a balcony on La Rambla. Book ahead and insist. <BR> <BR> http://www.concierge.com/features/in...rc_hotels.html <BR> <BR> This site also mentions the Hotel Jardi (which we tried to get a room at last March, but was booked until September!) and the Hotel Gran Via (which we found a room at, and loved, though I think it would be fun to stay right on La Rambla.) <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Capo

Ger, I did two or three of the (I think) five walks in the Pariswalks book. One of them was in the St.Germain neighborhood, but I can't recall the other one or two. I also recently did one of the five walks in the Romewalks book, the one through the former Jewish ghetto, a walk which was both fascinating and sobering. (Sobering because it was very sad to see how "Christian" popes had persecuted Jews, in much the same manner Christians had once been persecuted by Romans and others.) <BR> <BR>"The Jewish Ghetto in Rome" <BR> <BR>http://www.pariswoman.com/travel/romewalks1.htm <BR> <BR>

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:11 PM
ger

Back from Barcelona, minus Bridget, thank the gods. However, I have to warn you, that she has my Internet id & password and MAY post later this week under my alias …. <BR> <BR>To continue: My visit to L'Eixample Area. <BR> <BR>On the previous day, I explored Barri Gotic. Although I am passionately interested in the early - mid medieval period, from an historic perspective, I find being IN medieval cities oddly disturbing (Toledo scared me witless; I love viewing Notre Dame (and other great medieval cathedrals) from the OUTSIDE but get "wobblies" inside). <BR> <BR>I am now ABSOLUTELY convinced that this aversion MUST be caused by a past life experience and I was one of those poor sad bastards that died roaring from the bubonic plague (just joking, I think ????!!!!). <BR> <BR>Anyway, next day I felt the need of light and space and spent the entire day exploring L'Eixample and the Moderniste architecture - it was even more wonderful than I had ever imagined. Huge contrast with Barri Gothic - wide, glorious avenues lined with trees that were build for today's traffic; tall, elegant buildings decorated with a "modern" interpretation of Greek/Roman/Gothic relief and sculpture. I was blessed with a beautiful warm (although cool for the time of year) and sunny day. <BR> <BR>I fell in love with Gaudi's architecture in my teens but had no idea that there were so many extraordinary structures in Barcelona by himself and his contemporaries. Some of my favorite buildings in the area are: <BR> <BR>Sagada Familia <BR>Defies description! If Bosche and Tolkein co-operated on designing a building, this might be the result. It is STILL a Work in Progress after almost a century (the architects MUST have hired the builders I had in to renovate my kitchen) - don't miss it. <BR> <BR>Casa Mila: <BR>Looks like an ice-cream cone that's about to melt into the pavement. See it/take a picture best from the middle of the road on the north-bond lane of the P. de Garcia (seriously) but move VERY quickly to the pavement when the light turns green. (here's an example of where wearing running shoes is a DEFINATE benefit, even if makes you look like an American). <BR> <BR>La Mancana de la Discordia: <BR>Actually a block of buildings on the Passage de Gracia by various architects. Each building is entirely unique and, as the label suggests, each completely "out of key" with the others. (A music analogy would be: A symphony by Zoltan Kodaly, performed by the Sex Pistols & Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Timothy Leary or other available anarchist, or NONE). <BR> <BR>Passatge Permanya: <BR>Talk about a non-sequitur! - A little piece of England (or Raj India) in the middle of Barcelona. It reminds you of a stroll through Regent's park - two story, sherbet -coloured, neo-classical homes (apparently inspired by Nash). Completely out of context, but an absolute gem of an avenue in any city - if I retire to Barcelona THIS is where I will live! <BR> <BR>Of the four days I spent in Barcelona, this was the best: I explored and discovered something that is entirely unique to Barcelona and, as we say in Dublin, I was "Gob-Smacked"! <BR> <BR>Regards …. Ger <BR> <BR>P.S. … Sometime soon: La Ribera <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -