Bremen Restaurant Suggestions

Apr 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Bremen Restaurant Suggestions

I'll be spending a couple days in Bremen in the Fall and would greatly appreciate suggestions for restaurants based on personal experience. No type of cuisine excluded but I would lean toward regional fare. Many thanks. Gradyghost
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

My dishwaser just overflowed and flooded my home office. Moreover, it appears that nobody has ever dined in Bremen. Which is worse? Gradyghost
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Sorry about the dishwasher. My recommendation would be to just wander around the downtown area, looking at menus posted outside. Better yet, your hotel clerk (a local) could probably give you the best advice for a nice place to dine.
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Have just moved from this area and not unpacked my box of restaurant cards and stuff...but recommend you take a look down in the small quater called...ahh can't remember but your guide book will have it as where all the old fisherman and water workers used to live. There are german style beer halls, quaint romantic restaraunts and so forth. Its worth a wander.

I would aviod... the American style Sports bar - unless that's what you are looking for.
Bremen is such a beautiful city -with so much wealth and so close to Hamburg that the quality at most places is super. Enjoy the Marizpan - a local speciality!
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM

The quarter is named Schnoor. Really romantic with little houses, fancy shops, pubs and restaurants. Sorry, I cannot recommend any particular place - it's been too long since I dumped that boyfriend from Bremen - but that's where I'd start looking.

How's the dishwasher doing?

BTW, Marzipan is a speciality from Lübeck, not Bremen.
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Hello quo:

I've read about Schnoor and will definitely explore. The old boyfriend probably is still slumped in a corner of one of those beer halls Kaz speaks about. Dishwasher still on the fritz. Thanks. Gradyghost
May 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM
DAX

I've dined twice at the Ratskeller below the Rathaus in Bremen. They serve all kinds of traditional local dishes. The food is quite good, even the locals and businessmen seem to eat there. They have 300 kinds of German wines on their menu. It gets really crowded during mealtimes, so you may want to reserve. They serve simpler meals during non mealtime.

When you get to the Schnoor district you'll find a hidden garden right in the center of it and there is a good/OK restaurant with the perfect setting catering to the tourist right there. We spent only one night in Bremen and found it to be enough. I'd recommend staying at the Hilton for its ideal location. We had a terrible stay at the Marriott which is now thankfully closed. Park Hotel is supposed to be decent but it's too close to the train station and too far from Schnoor and the central area.
May 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM

The two restaurants we liked in the area were both hotel restaurants in the pretty suburb of Lilienthal, which is also near Worpswede, another little suburb that is popular with artists and writers.
The first was the Adzkent Hotel Rohdenburg. Has a garden restaurant. The other was in the Hotel Schomaker. Both retaurants drew many locals, especially on the weekends (we went with our German relatives).