Notices

Breakfast places in the 6th?

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:08 PM
jen

Breakfast places in the 6th?

Hello. I will be staying in the 6th and was wondering if there were some places you could recommed for breakfast (around 8am). I will be there for 7 days with my boyfriend and i don't really want to eat in out hotel. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Peter

You mean the 6th Arrondissement in Paris, right? Or are you referring, perhaps, to the 6th precinct here in beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan, the first city in the world with fluouridated water? My guess is Paris, but you have to be a bit more explicit to get the answers you desire.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:36 AM
frenchy

We in France do not have breakfast places which compare to what is available in the U.S. Pretty much every cafe is serving breakfast though, so you should try a neighborhood cafe close to wherever you are. Make a note that (1) the French cafes can be real smokey; (2) there are different prices in cafes according to where you are seating (standing at the bar is cheaper than sitting in the restaurant itself which itself is cheaper than sitting on the terrace where available). The terrace prices can go sky high in some places and service can be snooty (this is France after all!). Expect people to speak English (at least a few words) pretty much everywhere.
Bon voyage!

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:00 AM
VIncent

More and more cafes in tourist areas (of which the 6th is definitely part) advertise a whole range of breakfasts, from traditional French fare (coffee, croissant, tartines) to more Anglo-Saxon ones. So you'll be spoilt for choice, you shouldn't worry about that. Actually, it's not the smoke I resent most, it's this seemingly unerasable croque-monsieur smell in the air, even in the morning. Another reason for you to sit outdoors, weather permitting.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:08 AM
sandra

there is a small cafe on the corner of rue jacob and i can't remember but it is on the corner past the hotel du danube. there is also a post office on the opposite corner, this cafe has a very good american breakfast. there is a cafe right next to the hotel danube they have an excellent onion soup but a so-so breakfast. Also any of the cafe on teh rue buci have a good breakfast . it depends where you are near too.

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Dave

Sandra's right.....the Rue de Buci is my choice for a light breakfast anytime the weather is decent, and sometimes even when its not....you can always get some fresh fruit, a croissant, a roll, some cheese, and a juice or coffee and make an adventure of finding your favorite.....I like the warm Croque Monsieurs, but even if you don't having your french pastry warmed in a little oven on the street market can't be beaten,,,,even by a full "English" breakfast!! Have a great time! Best Wishes.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Sue

I have read several recommendations: Gerard Mulot--76, rue de Seine; great patisserie with a few tables; two more: Carton and Paul's on rue de Buci. Cafe Danton on south side of St. Germain at Odeon Metro stop also. I couldn't find Gerard Mulot (I didn't look too hard), went to Paul's, but didn't eat breakfast, just bought croissants--price of breakfast wasn't posted, but it looked very nice and old-fashioned. Carton is supposed to be where all the French go; I didn't see it either as I wasn't really looking for a breakfast place.