Search

Boxing Day?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boxing Day?

What do people actually do on Boxing Day?
I know the history of it but I'm curious as to how most people spend it. Do you go out and help the needy? Or is it just a day to eat leftovers and wonder who nabbed that piece of pumpkin cheesecake that you had so cleverly hid behind the vegis?
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Yeah, probably any or all of the above you mention-maybe somewhat diff.

Traditionally it was to box your gifts.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I thought boxing day was the day the servants went home for a day off and left with boxes of leftover food from the master....

In Montreal, it's a crazy bargain shopping day, stores open at 1 with lineups; they usually give a report on the 6o'clock news of how much chaos was in the record stores....

Stores do not accept returns on merchandise till december 28...........

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:10 AM

I think in modern-day UK Boxing Day is basically a bonus day to extend Christmas. It's a bank holiday usually occupied with sports, a family dinner, travel or relaxing from a day off from work and recuperating from Xmas festivities. Not sure how people in Canada, Australia and New Zealand observe the day -- wonder why the US never adopted the extra holiday?

more info:

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/boxingday1.html

Happy Boxing Day!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 11:37 AM

In the US, if there is an "extra" holiday for Christmas it is more likely to be Christmas Eve.

For those who have the vacation days to be able to take off, it is usual to take either the day before or the day after, depending on what day of the week Christmas Day happens to fall; most people manage an extended week-end if they can.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:15 PM
jor

KS452, "wonder why the US never adopted the extra holiday?"

Answer: Because we already have too many bank or legal holidays. I wish we had a constitutional amendment which states that if a new holiday is added it has to replace an existing one. Obviously I run my own business and I am tired of government workers getting all these payed holidays off when the rest of us are working and keeping the economy running. BTW, the last thing America needs is another tradition based on the English! We are not Canada \/
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:21 PM
ira

IIRC there's a boxing match on ESPN today.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Jor,
Bah Humbug! May all your capitalistic ventures continue to provide you comfort and an acceptable bottom line throughout 2004.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:46 PM
jor

KS452, I am not a Capitalist. I am a liberal Democrat small business owner from the midwest who knows when government passes bad legislation. My "bottom line" is a fair system in which I can prosper and respect the needs of everyone. America's economy is run by small businesses. A verifiable fact. \/
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Uhhhhh, I think liberal democrats can be capitalists. If you run a private business from which you make a profit, you're a capitalist.

Bill
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I though Boxing Day was the day you boxed up most of the presents and returned them.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:30 PM
jor

Uhhhhh, that makes a poor woman in India who washes cloths in the river in exchange for money a Capitalist? Bill, I am no more a Capitalist than her. I work hard and provide a service in exchange for money. Its the system most of the world uses. I do not survive on handouts. CEO's and government leaders survive on handouts.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 03:35 PM

jor, you should be a statesman. You replied to a negative statement in a way which makes perfect sense. And....I agree with you.

As for boxing day, been there, done that when I worked in London.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:14 PM

wemr - what "negative" statement?

...and in what way does "been there, done that" shed any light on the OP's question?
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:32 PM

In Edmonton (Alberta,Canada) Boxing Day is "shopping craziness" day, when stores sell their inventory at huge (thoeretically) markdowns.

In practice, most of the stuff at 50% or 60% or yes even 70% off is junk, garbage, useless,and of very poor quality.

We spend Boxing Day celebrating Christmas (yes - still, eating and exchanging gifts), because we have family and friends that we haven't celebrated with on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:59 PM

I used to have a friend who worked for a huge department store. She always had to work all day Christmas day which was the day they packed away all their good stuff and put out all the special purchase junk, some of which had been in storage since not selling the year before. Virtually all the stuff at big discount on Dec. 26 was special "junk". I can't say if that is always true, but I have done enough shopping to notice that much of the stuff I see on big sale was not the stuff I saw a few days before Christmas.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Borealis and Patrick, you are absolutely right. In the Toronto area, it is a frenzied shopping day.... everyone out there buying all the junk and thinking they are getting great bargains. The stores are packed with shoppers. I've also noticed that the 'good' stuff is no where in sight.
But it's also a day to do more visiting with good friends and relatives. I'm very fortunate to have enough good friends that Christmas overflows to Boxing Day. ONce again I was 'christmas dinner full".
NOw I'll rest (and diet) til the 'real' sales start in mid January.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 12:01 AM

For the small business owner, if all of your competition is closed for the holiday also how can you lose? From the tone of your post, it sounds as if you could use a holiday. If you can't get one away from your business maybe you are in the wrong business. Maybe with more holidays you could travel more!
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 12:22 AM

FOr the first time in years, i did nothing yesterday- apart from clear up after the day before.

What joy! I plan to do the same today.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:59 AM

I usually start bargain shopping after january 15; by that time the stores realize how much stuff is left and mark down the really good stuff....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -