Reload this Page >

Boutique style hotel in Paris for May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:24 AM
Susan

I know it has gotten really late but have not had the time to research rooms in Paris for my family, husband and two daughters ages 15 and 17. I really want to stay in a boutique style hotel. From what I have read the the Fleurie sounds good by doesn't have availability. The street and area the Fleurie is in sounds like it would be good for us. What is the name of that street?<BR>Please help, I have a reservation at the Le Meridian Montparnasse but I really don't want to stay in such a large and Americanized hotel on our first visit to Paris. This was my mistake, I let a travel agent take care of this, should of read Fodors way sooner. Now is know!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:49 AM
sandra

It may not be too late to find a nice french hotel in the 6th try the Hotel Danube 50 rue jacob, hotel du seine 52 rus seine ( excellent location as it is about 10 feet from rue buci and 15 yards from blvd st germain. Any of the best westerns in the 6th district are very nice also, not the american bw image at all. if you need anymore help you can email me as that is my actual email address. good luck

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:02 AM
elaine

the Fleurie is on rue Gregoire-de-Tours, near the Odeon metro stop.<BR>My favorite in that area is the d'Aubusson, near both Odeon and St Michel metro stops, at 33 rue Dauphine. You can search here for the many favorable comments.<BR>The larger rooms are "deluxe twin".<BR>Bathrooms excellent, decor charming and very "Parisian."<BR>Less expensive is the Milesime on rue Jacob. I have not stayed there but have read only good things. www.millesimehotel.com<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:31 AM
wendy

I just checked out the Millisme for a fellow fodorite... and it is really charming! Very upscale provencal and a great location!<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:38 PM
Elsa

We stayed at the Meridian Montp., and must say it is anything but charming. The room was tiny (which isn't that unusual for Paris), but it is rather cold probably b/c it is done in a contemporary style and there doesn't seem to be anything "French" about it. Also, the location is not that great. You have to take the subway all the time - at least that's what it seemed like.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
elaine

Elsa <BR>Your posting brought back a memory and made me smile.<BR>On my first trip to Paris we stayed at what was then called the PLM St Jacques, in the depths of the 14th--Montparnasse. It was a large impersonal business-oriented hotel, with ultra modern decor, lots of primary colors and plastic furniture. We had about a 10-15 minute walk from the Denfert-Rochereau metro stop. We had a great trip, but we disliked the hotel and location then, and now that I know Paris pretty well I stay clear of the 14th, even though some people like it and I'm sure there are better hotels.<BR>Your hotel sounds similar to the one I stayed in years ago. Using a New York City analogy, we felt as if we were staying in Queens.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:01 PM
Paris

My first and second trip to Paris I stayed at MP Le Meridien, felt like big a Chicago hotel!! The metro is a good one though pretty much connects to all lines. You will be taking the metro alot at that hotel. The last two trips I have stayed at boutique hotels, Au Manour and Danube I loved both of them!!! There is no going back to the big hotels for me. PJ

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
steve

Heading back to the Hotel Le Regent on Rue Dauphine, for the third time, in a few weeks. Stayed at the Grand Hotel de l'Univers last tinme when the Regent was full. Both are small, maybe 20 or so rooms, both within a bl9ock of Rue Buci, a wonderful area to stay to experience Left Bank life. Definitely not like the large tourist hotels on the Right Bank near the Tuilleries.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
deb

L'Hotel. We stayed there last May. Wonderful, small, 4-star hotel in a great location, excellent staff, air conditioned, great experience. Website is www.l-hotel.com. It wasn't cheap (around $320 per night, as I recall) but quality was high. Rooms are small, so get the larger room if you can.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:15 PM
Maribel

Susan,<BR>We just returned from Paris and during our stay at le Madison (comfort, style, great staff and perfect location all wrapped into one-I'll try to top the recent dicussion thread on it for you), we visited 20 (!) boutique-ish hotels in the 5th,6th and 7th, for business-related research, and these are the ones that caught our eye, either for their stylish decor, warmth of staff or choice location:<BR><BR>Millesime (rue Jacob, 6th): largest double: 210 euros<BR><BR>le Regent (rue de Daphine, 6th):<BR>double: 183<BR><BR>Le Relais Medici (rue Racine, 6th):<BR>double, 208-258<BR><BR>de L'Abbaye (rue Cassette, 6th):<BR>double, 195-284<BR><BR>Relais St. Suplice (rue Garanciere, 6th)<BR>double, sup/deluxe: 180-190<BR><BR>Hotel des Saints-Peres (rue des Saints-Peres, 6th)<BR>double: 140-195<BR><BR>Hoel du Pantheon (place du Pantheon, 5th)<BR>doubles: 183-213<BR><BR>de Academie (rue Saints-Peres, 7th)<BR>double: 199-229<BR><BR>Hotel Saint Germain (rue de Bac, 7th)<BR>double: 150-170<BR><BR>Bourgogne & Montana (rue Bourgogne, 7th-elegant sister to le Madison, but quiet area at night)<BR>double: 150-220<BR><BR>Hotel Verneuil (rue de Verneuil, 7th)<BR>double de luxe: 175 (reg. dbls tiny!)<BR><BR>Hope this helps a bit!<BR>Maribel<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
Meander

Susan--<BR><BR>I was in the same boat last week--waited too long and everything I wanted was booked for May! Finally went to Expedia through this site and got a "superior" twin at Les Jardins du Luxembourg for a great price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
JettaJay

I'm glad that none of you like the Meridien Montparnasse because I like that hotel and I will still be able to stay there at a bargain rate. My reasons for liking it are:<BR>1. I love contemporay styled rooms. They are cleaner.<BR>2. The hotel has shower curtains.<BR>3. On the high floors you can keep the drapes open night and day, as no one can see in the room.<BR>4.The rooms are regularly refurbished.<BR>5. I love having a view of the city.<BR>6. Boutique hotels seem to be less clean and frequently have an odor about them.<BR>7. The air France bus stops across the street. <BR>8 I even like the food. There is a Michelin starred restaurant at the hotel.<BR>I hope this hasn't convinced any of you to want to stay there even though there are hundreds of rooms, I want one available for me at a bargain price.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Yvonne

Susan, We just got back from our first trip to Paris and it was incredible. We stayed at the Hotel Grande Ecole and it was the best. (9 nights) Would definitly stay there again. It is in the 5th Ar. very close (1/2 - 3 blocks) to 3 metros and tons of bistros, bars and restaurants.<BR>The hotel was superbly kept. We stayed in two rooms there, one had a deck of it. They were small, but we were very comfortable and never felt cramped. W e would have breafast there most days. It is run by a charming elderly french woman and her daughter. <BR>There is a courtyard with some patio tables and we had champagne out there on our last night. Wish I cold go back!! Check it out, they do have a website.<BR>Yvonne

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Alan

Hotel des Grandes Ecoles has my vote - charming, clean, great location, very nice owner. You can't lose!<BR><BR>Other hotel is Regents Hotel on Rue Madame near Luxembourg Gardens. Friends stay there and like it.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Susan

Thank you all for all the wonderful advise on hotels. I have emailed almost all of your suggestions and have not had any success yet. Obviously these are popular hotels. I will keep trying, I have decided the 6th sounds like the place to be so I am concentrating on that area. If you have any other suggestions I will not give up until I find something I thing will give us that true Paris experience.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Ursula

Susan: Most of the hotels mentioned above are very popular and some of the are quite small. They are listed in a lot of travel books and a most of them are "the hotel" for regulars who book months ahead. We had our May hotel booked last year.<BR>Depending on when you will travel, you will have a hard time. May is full of European holidays. Perfect for a short get away. I do not want to discourage you, but you might want to have a look at some places in the 7th, but also in the southern 6th south of Luxembourg Gardens and around Montparnasse which is still in the 6th, but south of Blvd. Montparnasse already the 14th. I understand you are looking for something more charming than the MM, but after all, it's a convenient area to stay in. Just my opinion.<BR>Enjoy your first time in Paris and if you see a nice charming hotel, pop in and ask for a business card and brochure for your next trip! Good luck to you.<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Jill

We stayed at D'Aubisson about 2 years ag...our favorite Paris hotel so far! Great location, excellent service, many American guests but a very French, Left Bank feel. Would do a repeat stay without any hesitation. Bon Voyage!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:41 AM
oberost

My wife and I stayed at Le Sainte Beuve.<BR>Check it on web.<BR>aja

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Mjoo

Susan,<BR><BR>Try www.hotelboulevard.com. I have used this site before, it led me to the delightful Hotel D'Aubusson as mentioned in previous posts. <BR><BR>This site seems to specialize in boutique hotels and I had a wonderful experience with them.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Susan

Well, I spent most of the following up on possibilities and have come up with only one real possibility. The Hotel Luxembourg at #4 Rue De Vaugirard. It describes itself as being right on the border of the 5th and 6th. It's looks ok on the internet and they emailed back that they have availability. Has anyone ever stayed here? I would feel much better is I could get a personal account of the hotel. Rooms are 150.00 for large double or 130.00 for standard.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -